LSi15 vs LSi25

Options
cookaa
cookaa Posts: 49
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I currently have an LSic as a center and LSi9s as rears. I want to finish the system with some towers for the fronts, but I don't know whether I should get the LSi25s or the 15s, I have heard good things about both. I also have a Klipsch KSW 12 400 watt Sub. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Post edited by cookaa on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Well for starters ones powered and ones passive.
    I heard the lsi15's in a less then idea enviroment.But they did sound good.
    The lsi25's are powered.If your into powered towers,I would give a listen.
    Can you go here them where you live side by side????
    This is a very personal decision.
    Thats about all I can help you with this, they are both nice.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Assuming you have a decent amp, get the LSi15's!

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Put me down for the non-powered 15's....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Assuming you have a decent amp, get the LSi15's

Yah, or spend the money you saved getting the 15's and buy a good used amp!
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Yah, or spend the money you saved getting the 15's and buy a good used amp!
    You're a genius! That's a great idea!

Aaron
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Options
    You're a genius! That's a great idea!

Do I detect a wee-bit of sarcasm from you today Aaron? :lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    another vote for the lsi15's...
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Do I detect a wee-bit of sarcasm from you today Aaron? :lol:
    Not this time, actually. I just thought that was such a simple, great idea.

Aaron
  • cookaa
    cookaa Posts: 49
    edited May 2002
    Options
    After a number of responses in favor of the passive 15s, I am highly considering that route. I am currently running a Harman Kardon AVR 300 which has been all right but leaves much room for improvement. I am very unfamiliar with the amp market, I have heard of some brand names and looked at their multichannel amps in the 200watt range, Rotel 1095, Parasound 2205, Krell, but have no knowledge of quality differences, especially when used with polks. I would appreciate any 5 channel amp recommendations for amps under $2000, since you all know a lot more than I do at this point.
    Thank you,
    Aaron
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I just received the new Lsi 15's about an hour ago. Unfortunately I don't have my serious equipment with me. I am staying with a friend of mine and all he has is a 65w/ch Yamaha w/angel hair speaker wire :(. His Yammy has no serious bass, no control, no imaging and very little separation of channels. I will, however retrieve my things at the end of this month for a more realistic review. I have a new Top Pre/Pro and a 5Ch Parasound amp witch is both excellent for music and surround. So far my impressions are like that of the "absolute sound" the 15's a great for acoustic guitar, but if you want more impact go with the 25's. I do think if you bought a quality musical sub to go along with the 15's you would not miss anything from the 25's. Plus you could always shut down the Sub for a more seamless frequency response. Do I think the new polks are worth every penny? (Even though, they are hooked up to weak yammy). Dam Skippy, the upper and mid range is as sweet and natural as you have read. I think if you do some research and pick the equipment that complements each other you will be extremely satisfied for taking your time. If you want serious sound, buy some serious equipment.

Good luck with your choices,

Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2002
    Options
    LSi15 would probably be better since you have a powered sub. I have LSi15 mains, LSiC center, LSiFX surrounds, & a Carver Knight Shadow sub along with a PWS650(which has been in the shop for the past 1.5 months) . Im very happy wth the lows of the LSi 15's. Although it dosnt go as low as the LSi25 powered sub it is more than adequite. Check the mag The Absolute sound, they have a great review on the LSi speakers. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/ Best would be to listen if you can. Here in Hawaii no one stocks the LSi series. I had to rely on reviews prior to ordering. Once I got the speakers Im very happy. Any one looking to buy RT800i's, RT35i's & CS400i?
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Saw the Al DiMeola case on your right channel. Nice. Song 2 has some absolutely slamming bass. The 'ol 1.2's literally shake the house when I play that track.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Qoute:

Stubby... if you don't mind what Amp that drives your
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's?

Har
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The Lsi line is a 4 ohm running speaker or speaker's.Not many receiver's are up to that kind of load duty.
    Most lower end receiver's will void there warranty if you run a speaker under 6ohms.Keep that in mind when building a LSI series system.
    Going with a good quality receiver that can handle the load is one way to go.
    Buying seperates is the best way to go with a killer speaker system like that.
    I bet they sound real good.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • stubby
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I use two Carver M1.0t's bridged. Supposed to be good for a kilowatt a piece. They were preceded by a pair of Adcom GFA 545's, in bi-amp (top to bottom) mode. The 545's were nice but never really pushed these monsters like they need to be. I highly recommend mono amps for any SRS speaker, as long as you have an AI-1 interface cable, or make your own.

stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Anthem AVM2

• har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Stubby,

I'm using Adcom 5802 which is 300w x 2 to these monsters,
    it was clean the upper mid range is really amazing but I want
    more power to push these monster to wake them up. I think
    this is the best Amp for under 2G. for now I can't afford to buy
    expensive amp.
    Also what do you mean by AI-1 interface cable, bi-amp, and bridged connection?

Thanks,
    Har
  • stubby
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I've heard those 5802's were very good amps. I'm kind of surprised that it's not enough to make your speakers sing. They are probably rated at about 400-450 watts into a 4 ohm load, what your speakers are close to. But anyway.
    The AI-1 Interface cable is a special interconnect cable made for the SRS speakers. All SDA speakers must be used with a common ground type amplifier. In other words, the left and right channel must be grounded on the same chassis. Most amps are made this way. The exceptions are dual mono amps (2 amps sharing a single chassis), mono (single channel) and bridged amps. Bridging means you combine the left and right channel of a stereo amp to make a single channel, more powerful, amp. Not all amps are capable of this. It's a designed in feature. The AI-1 allows you to use non-common ground amps with SRS speakers. For a more complete technical explanation, I recommend going over to Mike's Polk Page and browsing the info there. Or email Ken at Polk CS, he's the tops.
    BTW, what preamp are you using? It's amazing what can be gained with a really good pre.
    Also, are your speakers pin/blade or pin/pin (interconnect) type? If they are pin/pin, forget about the AI-1. Not even it can help you then. You will have to stay with stereo amps. The other bad news with the AI-1 is that they are no longer available new from Polk.
    Hope this helps out with your question.

Stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Anthem AVM2

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Personally I would consider using the LSi9s for both front and surround and then spend the extra bucks on a killer sub. I may be a little biased because I am using Rt55is for my fronts and think they are great. I have listened to both the LSi9s and 15s and really like the sound of the 9s over the 15s.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson