Speaker placement for RT10 surrounds

Options
EJ
EJ Posts: 42
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I am using RT10's for surrounds. (small towers) Would I be better off by raising these with stands or some type of wall mount? Also has anyone tried something similar and what did you use to accomplish this? As surrounds they are aomewhat low and also blocked by the furniture due to their height.

Thanks & regards
EJ
Post edited by EJ on

Comments

• alex12399
    alex12399 Posts: 14
    edited April 2002
    Options
    THE RT10'S CAN MAKE PRETTY DECENT SURROUNDS. MOUNTING THEM ON THE WALL WILL MAKE FOR A MORE DIFFUSED REAR SOUNDFIELD. THE FLOW FROM FRONT TO REAR IMAGING WILL ALSO BE GOOD. PUTTING THEM ON STANDS WILL INCREASE THE BASS RESPONSE AND MAKE FOR A RICH MIDRANGE. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO TRY BOTH, AS YOU ARE THE TRUE JUDGE, WE CAN ONLY OFFER THE BASIC KNOW HOWS. JUST REMEMBER TO TRY AND KEEP THEM AT EARS LEVEL WITH NO OBSTRUCTIONS, SUCH AS FURNITURE ETC. LATE.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Don't really know what that last post ment by what he said but ...ok.....
    The rt10's were nice front's the last time I listened to them about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Man it's tuff to say.Height of your rears need to go up a bit it sound if they are firing into furnitue.That would take away energy from them.For rears you want to difuse the sound as much as possible.
    Here's a strange suggestion but might work out.Try it for the hell of it.Lay those tower's down behind your listening area and fire them up to the ceiling.You can lift up the bottom to fire the tweeter's into the corner's of the sidewall and backwall meet the ceiling.I know this sounds strange but It works great for problem room's with bookshelf rears in monopole.I never tried it with a speaker as big as yout 10's,b ut who know's this might be the cheapest upgrade you did to your system that made a killer difference.Try it, I'm curious on how it turned out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • EJ
    EJ Posts: 42
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't been around the house to try your suggestions yet but will when my company leaves next week. This will be an experiment for now as we were going over construction plans for our new HT room Monday night. Construction will start in a couple of weeks and be ready when I move in July.

Please add any opinions or suggestions in the meantime.

Regards
    EJ
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Options
    mantis.....I'm not picking on you man, obviously you do this for a living, but that just SOUNDS crazy....I'm not saying anything derogatory mind you but it just sounds a little crazy.

EJ....my opinion, for what it's worth....the RT10's will work for surrounds just fine. Stands aren't a bad idea if you can get them a little above you. Play with them and see what works best for you but yes, they will work.

Big Dumb (and amused) Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I will admit, I have seen a couple setups, with bookshelfs, right behind the couch, firing STRAIGHT up...flat on their backs....

Hell of a sight with bookshelves, I can't imagine laying towers down...

Wonder if a nice thick slate, or some 8-12 inch stands would raise them pups up enough....or if they even really need to be. The tweet should be fine up to as much as 30 degrees off-axis....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • stef_000us
    stef_000us Posts: 29
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    Here's a strange suggestion but might work out.Try it for the hell of it.Lay those tower's down behind your listening area and fire them up to the ceiling.

Thanks Mantis for sharing that "crazy" idea. I was actually tortured to find out how to place my surround speakers since there is no nice place to put them due to my room layout. The "less worse" setup that I was using was having the rti38 directly on the floor shooting toward each other. They were place 1 foot behind the coach and 3-4 feet away from the coach (against the wall, shooting toward each other at floor level).

I turn them toward the celling and.... they sure sound better. Just wondering now about dust or someone spilling their glass in the speaker...

Thanks again for sharing that thought,

Stephan