My Pioneer PL-10 only plays through one channel!

Options
boltaction
boltaction Posts: 42
edited March 2005 in Troubleshooting
Hello, I found a Pioneer PL-10 for $30 along with a collection of 80's butt rock records, so I jumped at the chance. It came with an Empire 3000e cartridge as well. (Is that bad, or good?)

Anyways, take it home and hook it up to my Yamaha CR-640 reciever. Left channel only. I reverse plugs and it only plays right. I plug my old turntable in and it plays fine. I lift the hood and the wires all seem to be plugged in and soldered correctly. When I place my fingers around the right RCA plug going to my amp I can hear a definite buzzing. (That is the channel no sound comes from).

Using headphones, I lift the needle and turn the volume all the way up. There is absolutely no signal from the RCA cable. I put the needle down after reducing volume and unplug the RCA cable that is playing music, and turn the amp all the way up again. No sound. What is wrong? I opened it up and all the wires are connected.
Post edited by boltaction on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Is the correct cartridge installed?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • boltaction
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Is the correct cartridge installed?

How can I tell? I honestly do not know.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Is it a mono cart?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • boltaction
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Is it a mono cart?

I'm going to remove my Audiotechnica cartridge and install it into this one. I do not know how to tell the difference and i'll keep you posted.

Edit it is a stereo cart... I don't know about the needle though.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    Options
    PL-512 (Pioneer) is the correct model for that NEEDLE. I can't find a 3000e cart anywhere.

I think you have a mono needle.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • boltaction
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Here is what it looks like without pictures:

The headshell is stock.

There is a 1/2 inch cartridge that is dull steel and says "EMPIRE 3000E" on it. The plugs on the back have inputs for both channels. The needle is removable and is black. I see no markings on the needle itself, and the input is shaped like a half diamond.
  • boltaction
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I just switched cartridges. The problem is still there.