RT20P subs

Options
DiscoDuck!
DiscoDuck! Posts: 2
edited March 2005 in Troubleshooting
Ok, two things. First my amps don't turn on sometimes. I have to physically remove the amp and put it back in and then it somehow magically works :( The other problem is that 2 of my subs rattle??? This is at low volume too. I have never overdriven these speakers. They are not even playing feq's below 70hz. I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer for LFE! They have been treated as though they are newborn babys :D I've had this problem for a while, but I had friends over today and they asked "what's that rattling noise?". I hated telling them it was $2000 speakers :eek: I read that others have had similar problems. Are there any solutions for fixing these problems besides spending a couple hundred dollars to replace speakers and fix/replace both amps. How can $2000 speakers have such bad subs AND amps installed in them!!? If there is no low cost alternative I may just put the repair money towards some Definitive Technology BP7002's. Which I don't really want to do. I love my Polks. I have a full 5 speaker Polk system and buying a whole new system so they are timbre matched won't be cheap. Can any of you guys help me out?
Post edited by DiscoDuck! on

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,019
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Try to be patient and I'm pretty sure this is a problem that should have some knowlegeable Polk masters responding. I think I read somewhere in these forums where some one drilled some mounting bolt holes through the subs outer rings and through the cabinets and bolted them securely. It's really easy (I think) if that is where the rattling is coming from. Sounds like there is definately a loose conection involving the amp..That could definetly be a cause for your distortion(rattle). They will probibly suggest you really check all the connections at the inside part of the amp. and at the speaker terminals first.Now for the amp not coming on at all untill you remove it is puzzling to me. Is the power cord one that pushes into a socket on the amp.?might not be pushed in enough.Maybe a loose solder joint .The vibration going on inside would surely be shaking a loose connection with wire connections.
    Which woofers rattle,and do both amps sometimes have to be removed and put back to make both work ? Or are these problems with one speaker only?

good luck.
    Tony
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • outlander
    outlander Posts: 218
    edited March 2005
    Options
    The amp problem sounds like cold solder joints. Get an eye loop and look over all the solder joints and reflow the solder if you see one that looks like broken.
    O
  • DiscoDuck!
    DiscoDuck! Posts: 2
    edited March 2005
    Options
    There is one sub that makes a sound like it's blown at low volumes , but if I tap it with my finger(lightly) it sounds fine, even when I turn them I've put my ear next to it and it sounds fine!? They do what THEY wan to do WHEN they want to do it. The sub in the other speaker just makes an intermittent sound like it's blown. It comes and goes and that's the strange part. Is is just me or these things possessed:confused: One day they're fine and the next I'm pulling the amp or amps out. Have any other owners of these speakers had this problem? I'd really like to know if it's a common thing or if I got the lemons :p These speakers have been moved a total of 5 times in their life, and I personally supervised each of those trips. As for the solder connections, I'll look into it. I don't really look forward to moving my entertainment center to get to them. Also I think it's a little much if I have to drill into the outer rings of my subs in my $2000 speakers to secure them! I have a $100 Aiwa stereo on my desk and HAVE dropped those speakers on the floor and I've never had to re-secure those speakers. Sorry started ranting a bit. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate the input.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I, too, have had problems with my RT20p amps. When sent in for service they found a loose connection and resoldered. 2 yrs later same probelm and amp was replaced by Polk. Have Ken Swauger give you a idea what to do. He is a true customer service get-it-done guy. I have also had to replace all 4 8" subs & 1 6" mid in my RT20p. I have also become less than thrilled with the amount of problems I have had - one reason why I purchased LSi25 speakers. After looking for a good bit of time I found that the powered subs of the RT20p had spoiled me. Good luck with yours. Give Ken a call.
    [