Saying Goodnye to Mr. David Shirley/ westmassguy RIP

tophatjohnny
tophatjohnny Posts: 4,181
edited June 10 in The Clubhouse
Hello fellow Polkies.

Dave went on to meet his divine maker Tuesday morning, June 4! I just called this morning to say hello, and his sister answered explaining the situation and asked me if I would alert people on the form because she didn’t know how to operate to get on Here! I became friends with Dave first joined the form and he’s always been an amazing person and a friend to me and I’m sure many of you! Please keep his family in prayer and those of you who know him and have his number You can sure call and speak with her sister, cause she’s answering his calls now for a while! May he rest in peace and be remembered as the amazing person he was! Saddens me to leave this post because I truly did love him! God bless all!
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
Post edited by tophatjohnny on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,870
    What was his moniker?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Westmassguy, huge loss. Prayers to his family
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    Wow, this is very sad news. My condolences to the family and friends. Huge contributor to the forum.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 781
    R.I.P Westmassguy, Dave. My condolences to the family and friends as well. I always like coming to this forum and checking out his crossover builds. He will be missed.
    2ch rig: Speakers: Magnepan LRS w/Magna Riser stands Preamplifier: Parasound P5 Amplifier: Parasound A23 CDP: Pioneer DV-563A Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)

Standby: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,239
    WOW I'm very much at a loss for words :'(:'(:'( . I too conversed with Dave often, he did me a solid too many times to mention with his XO knowledge.

Dave I will miss our conversations

Rest In Peace My Brother !!

@tophatjohnny Please pass along my condolences
  • treitz3
    Awe, dang. Stand up guy. My sincerest condolences to his family. May you rest in peace, Dave. You will be missed.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,602
    A very classy gentleman.
    Prayers for his family, RIP
    🙏✝️
    Sal Palooza
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,552
    edited June 10
    Noooo! :'(

Rest in peace Dave.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,926
    All the best to his family during this difficult time. RIP.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,548
    Very sad news. Thank you for communicating it to those of us at the forum.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,151
    RIP Dave. super nice guy. sad
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,817
    Well, I will mention one, Ivan … I originally reached out to Dave to do my crossovers, but he was no longer taking new business by that time. But, when Ivan stepped up to do it, Dave helped out with supplying some standoffs and hardware that were needed to mount the larger caps. So, indirectly, he still had a big hand in it!

Sad to hear this news. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace and God bless his soul.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,489
    Sorry to hear. RIP, Dave.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,150
    WOW!!! Very Sad news, Dave was a great guy..

R.I.P.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,360
    Sad news! He was a gentleman. :'(

R.I.P.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    RIP brother, a huge loss
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,115
    sad, indeed

we spoke a few times over the years. Kool guy and a great asset . . . gone . . . . RIP Brother!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,315
    edited June 10
    Extremely sad news. David helped me out a few times and I helped him a few. Being like minded and of similar temperament I always enjoyed our conversations. I will miss him.

R.I.P. David
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,249
    Condolences from the clubpolk family.

20pepvne2x9d.jpg
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,186
    My condolences to his family. Dave was a standup guy and always willing to help others. Damn! R.I.P sir.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,680
    Very sad news, I'm sure he will be missed by everyone who knew him. My condolences to his family.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,185
    So sorry to hear this. I never had any direct communication with him, but he certainly came across as a great guy…and I think the activity/comments in this thread proves that to be true. My condolences to his family and friends.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tophatjohnny
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    WOW I'm very much at a loss for words :'(:'(:'( . I too conversed with Dave often, he did me a solid too many times to mention with his XO knowledge.

Dave I will miss our conversations

Rest In Peace My Brother !!

@tophatjohnny Please pass along my condolences

Yes Ivan Dave loved you like a brother and spoke highly about you! Can’t believe he’s gone 😢
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,425
    Wow - I bought something or other from him a few years ago, and that started a back and forth conversation that lasted over a year. Super nice guy, and will definitely be missed.

Godspeed sir…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,505
    Saddened by this news. He was always very helpful and supportive to me.
    RIP Dave.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,696
    Damn fine member of the forum. Sorry to hear this. RIP Dave. Appreciate all the questions you answered for me.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tophatjohnny
    Please forgive my typos in the opening to this sad and hard to believe thread! I should’ve given myself a little more time after speaking with Dave sister! Ivan and whoever else has his number I’m sure a call to his phone will be answered by sister and your kind words will be appreciated! In my original post, I said her sister and of course, I meant his sister and she’s so heartbroken and friendly voices will be a welcome part of her healing process too! Thanks to those who have the strength to make the call !
  • treitz3
    Give her and his family a link to this thread....

Tom
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    RIP David. He was indeed a valued member of this forum. He was very helpful to me on a couple of occasions. Businesses like his are still very important to the audio community.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,552
    Dave was an inspiration to so many here. He built a couple of crossovers for me and others for friends and acquaintances of mine I'd referred to him. He was always helpful when I was moving into building my own and patiently worked with me when I did something wrong. He was a true innovator in the restoration of vintage Polk Audio and Bose speakers and will truly be missed.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus