System "Pops" During Startup - Help!

Options
mrmsudawgs
mrmsudawgs Posts: 34
edited March 2005 in Troubleshooting
I just got my system installed. When I turn the key to "on" the head unit turns on as it should. Just as soon as it does I hear a very loud "Pop" or "Thump" coming from my speakers. I've had the head unit for a month prior to getting my amp and other equipment installed and I never heard this sound before. What can cause the loud thump and how can if fix it? Is it damaging my speakers?

Help!!

Here are my specs:
Alpine CDA-9831 Head Unit
Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp
Polk Momo MM2104 10" sub
Polk Momo C570 Door Speakers (Front)
Alpine Type S Door Speakers (Rear Fill on head unit power)

Mike
Post edited by mrmsudawgs on

Comments

• lomic
    lomic Posts: 407
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately you might not get many replies here, since the bulk of these forums are aimed at home audio - if you scroll down towards the bottom of the forum list you'll find the car audio section. You'll probably have best luck finding knowledgable folks there with mobile audio problems.
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by mrmsudawgs
    I just got my system installed. When I turn the key to "on" the head unit turns on as it should. Just as soon as it does I hear a very loud "Pop" or "Thump" coming from my speakers. I've had the head unit for a month prior to getting my amp and other equipment installed and I never heard this sound before. What can cause the loud thump and how can if fix it? Is it damaging my speakers?

Help!!

Here are my specs:
    Alpine CDA-9831 Head Unit
    Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp
    Polk Momo MM2104 10" sub
    Polk Momo C570 Door Speakers (Front)
    Alpine Type S Door Speakers (Rear Fill on head unit power)

Mike

The thump is caused by all of the current rushing into the amp at start up. Shouldn't damage the sepakers at all.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk