Acoustical panels - Good or Bad? What say you?

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,386
Hmmmm, I have mixed feelings/observations. It completely depends...

Where do you stand with regards to acoustical treatment of your room?

Any advice from those who have been there? Any advice against it?

Tips, tricks, advice for the forum?

Please advise and thanks...

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    I know some of you were expecting glowing reviews.....

Yeah, no.

I'll tell more later...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited April 24
    Options
    I installed some for my office rig. Definitely helped.

A good way to tell if panels will help is the clap test. Stand up in your room and clap your hands together with enthusiasm. If you hear a slap echo you should consider adding panels.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,612
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, Tom!

I have four bass traps on the front wall (behind the speakers), two on the side wall (other side is open to the rest of the basement) and three “clouds” on the ceiling. I have no back wall, as that area is open, also.

The ones I placed on the walls to begin with worked so well to improve the stereo imaging and tighten up the bass response, that I couldn’t wait to add the clouds. I didn’t notice quite as dramatic a difference with those, but it certainly did not detract from the sound, either. The treatments helped make the corner that my rig is in disappear, sonically, and eqaualized the SQ and imaging from left to right.

I would like to try a couple of diffusers at some point. But, I am very happy with the results that I have with just the bass traps at the moment.

A somewhat dated pic …

hojzyw6dit7g.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    edited April 24
    Options
    I think room treatments are a tool. If you need a hammer, a screwdriver won’t do much.
    And if you need a Phillips head, a flat head might get you there but it won’t be as smooth.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    It's helped for me. My room has odd angularity and there is a fireplace that is all tile, steel and glass behind my rack. The sound was fatiguing and I think I was getting too much HF bouncing around. I put the gray 2" absorbers between rack and fireplace that you can see in this pic. These have helped to calm things down. I am considering adding a 2" absorber/diffuser to the section of yellow wall above the subwoofer as I think that wall picks up echoes and aims them at the listening position.

i6wx0g27496s.jpg
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    I set up 4 panels when listening as you know.

It really helps in my space but I don't feel the need to add more either. I think it would be very easy to over damp a room
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    I need room treatments for my SDA's, but my apogee's sound great with no room treatments
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,085
    Options
    I have always liked the beauty that @Mike Reeter achieved with his panels. I don't know if the pics below are from his Missouri home or previous location - his room is one of the best.

And speaking of Mike Reeter, where has he been?

I can't say anything about sound improvement - don't have panels.

jh3x54h81a1w.png

k4p3pot5olgv.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Panel changed my echo chamber into a great music room. Started out with first reflection panels on each side. Then added bass traps to corners and first reflection panels to the ceiling.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    I’ve got some DIY panels, but I honestly couldn’t tell you if they are of benefit or not because I’ve had them in the room the whole time my system has been in the room. I should probably take them down someday and see if I notice any difference. Hardwood floors with an 8x10 rug…and a queen size bed😣

But as Harry eluded to, I like the looks regardless of if they’re improving the sound.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, Tom!

hojzyw6dit7g.jpeg

What's the difference between a Harley rider and a vacuum cleaner??

You can change the dirtbag in the vacuum.

(off topic off topic off topic)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I have mixed feelings/observations. It completely depends...

Please advise and thanks...

Tom

I'll put it to you this way. The first time I experimented with foam panels, my daughter sat down with me to give a listen and halfway into the first song she says, "Papa, it sounds like your wearing headsets".

This is the same girl that was hugging my A9's as I was unboxing them when she was only 4 :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited April 25
    Options
    My main listening room is lively, to say the least. It fails the Jesse clap for sure. Problem is, with 18' tall peaks and a pretty large room, I need a hella lota panel coverage. I've toyed with the idea of using a huge tapestry or something...all medieval like...
    Hasn't happened yet. For now, I just enjoy my music like I'm in a stadium with various loud speakers hitting me from hundreds of feet apart. Okay, that's probably an exaggeration, but its not a perfect little golden ratio room...
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • VR3
    Options
    You need books billbill, lots and lots of books
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    edited April 25
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    You need books billbill, lots and lots of books

Ain't got no shelves...
    I thought about using those plastic dome shaped things that someone posted awhile back, but adding up the cost of those got high pretty quickly.
  • VR3
    Options
    Billbill you need to add some shelves... And books... Lots of both
  • billbillw
    edited April 25
    Options
    I'd need a freaking expensive, tall, dangerous ladder to reach those shelves...
    Changing light bulbs in the ceiling fan requires a bit of ingenuity. Last time, I used one of those extension pincers that people use for picking up trash etc. And that was at the top of my little giant ladder fully extended.
  • VR3
    Options
    I think you would be amazed at what a few full bookcases can do just in the room

Ikea Billy and local goodwill can maybe get you done for a couple hundies
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, Tom!

hojzyw6dit7g.jpeg

What's the difference between a Harley rider and a vacuum cleaner??

You can change the dirtbag in the vacuum.

(off topic off topic off topic)

Disclaimer....this was just a joke :D I was offered a contract to race a Buell one season and was very excited about it, but the deal fell through at the last minute so I went back to Suzuki.

• billbillw
    edited April 25
    Options
    I think you would be amazed at what a few full bookcases can do just in the room

Ikea Billy and local goodwill can maybe get you done for a couple hundies
    Already have an Ikea Billy with a mix of books and photos. The room doesn't really lend itself to more, not to mention the walls rise another 11-12 feet above the Billy...it screams for a huge thick wool tapestry 🤣
    lrpo6mxhsbp1.jpg
    Then, we have this as a side wall, those are about 13' tall before the slant begins. A 20x6 flat area for major reflections. I guess I need two huge tapestries.
    abs9vkgbem89.jpg
    Eh, I just pretend the artist got carried away with the reverb effect.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    I'd need a freaking expensive, tall, dangerous ladder to reach those shelves...
    Changing light bulbs in the ceiling fan requires a bit of ingenuity. Last time, I used one of those extension pincers that people use for picking up trash etc. And that was at the top of my little giant ladder fully extended.

You need a 16' step ladder.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    My main listening room is lively, to say the least. It fails the Jesse clap for sure. Problem is, with 18' tall peaks and a pretty large room, I need a hella lota panel coverage. I've toyed with the idea of using a huge tapestry or something...all medieval like...
    Hasn't happened yet. For now, I just enjoy my music like I'm in a stadium with various loud speakers hitting me from hundreds of feet apart. Okay, that's probably an exaggeration, but its not a perfect little golden ratio room...

Check out things like fabric wall art and soft wall art for ideas other than tapestries. Also, framed oil paintings, quilts and full length window curtains help.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited April 25
    Options
    I have 3 DIY acoustic panels that I'm using in my office. They are to the sides of my LSi7s and in the middle behind my computer monitors between the speakers. They really tamed the reflections an deadened the room. The ones to the sides widened the sound stage like the speakers were much farther from the walls.

I also tried the panels in my family room where I have the LSi15. The room is very lively (echos like mad) since we had to pull out the carpets (damn cats). It is to the point that I don't really enjoy that system and prefer listening in my office. Placing the panels in various locations definitely helps in the family room but I need more of them.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601