Band Saw Recommendations?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,481
Thinking about picking up a band saw for general utility and basic project use. You guys got any preferences on models, brands or must-have features?

I haven't started seriously looking yet, but I'm serious about quality tools.

Also want to get a drill press.

These would both be bench-mounted, and since they would be minor use, footprint is a consideration. For the right pieces, I can find a place.

Those of you who've sawn off finger bits, please contribute.

Shanks.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,699
    Options
    Take it to Grindr, freak.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    For light duty, inconsistent use, really hard to beat harbor freight prices and quality.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    Options
    I have a couple of harbor freight power tools for just what you say, Trey. I don't know if things have improved, but I found those tools to be "not accurate". Things like variable speeds not really being variable, pretty much slow or really fast fast. That's not good for things like paint mixers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    edited April 24
    Options
    I guess again it comes down to expectations.

For me, what they can do for the price they work. If I had a dedicated shop looking for daily use I would definitely look elsewhere.

For small pull out when you need it, regular rough work should suffice. Detail work as you suggest, maybe need higher end equipment for sure.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    What other stationary tools do you have? What do you want to use the bandsaw for? I'm a self proclaimed tool junky and I sold the bandsaw I had because I pretty much never used it.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    Are you going to be doing woodworking or metalworking or both? For cutting pipes/angles/square etc. metal stock it is pretty invaluable, especially the gravity self feeding types.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I sold the bandsaw I had because I pretty much never used it.
    I wish I never sold my bandsaw, I miss it often.

• msg
    Options
    @VR3 Trey, I agree on the use-and-store, though for the stuff I'd like to do, not so sure on the rough work and just sufficing. I admit to being a perfectionist with certain things, and really, really enjoy using tools that make the job easier, or are a pleasure to use, or turn out a beautiful, accurate result.

@DaveHo Dave, I don't have many stationary tools right now. Main things is a combo sander and a big bench vise, lol. The rest are standard power tools.

Also considering a bench grinder for some parts/rust cleanup work on a project vehicle.

Main thing is, I like to have quality, practical, fun to use tools and have them available and easily accessible for tasks when I'm ready to task. I don't like the interruptions of having to dig stuff out and/or make-do. I'm finding now with this discussion that some of this is planning and thinking about ways to imorovey processes and working spaces.

The more I think about it, the more I like Trey's idea of use-and-store (which is kind of what I'm doing now), and not take up my entire work bench with tabletop tool storage. I do have a plan and space in place for that storage that would keep these tools out of the way as well as readily accessible to pull over to the work bench or take outside to a work area.

To clarify, I'm not looking to fill a workshop with tons of stationary or floor standing tools. This is just a garage.

@Gardenstater George, combination wood and metal. Mostly in support of other hobbies. None of this currently intended to be fine woodworking or metal fabrication, but I might take a welding class if I ever get better at soldering? Again, just for utility stuff, support of vehicle maintenance or resto, for example.

I do want to be able to cut and drill accurately, and control angles and the materials better, with a clean result.

One simple example of where I'd use a band saw would be a quick task to fix a minor issue in one of the vehicles I'm working on....

The battery bracket in my older Tacoma has a little bit of a gap above the battery. To hold the battery in place, I have to cinch down the j-hook side. I don't like this. It's metal on plastic.

My fix idea is to cut slices off of one of those little industrial vibe pads we use under gear sometimes.

Yes,i know there are other things I could do, but I want to use this. Obviously this single instance doesn't warrant a band saw, but you can't cut stuff like that with a jigsaw or utility knife, so it's this sort of handy, gee-wiz type stuff I'd be doing.

That's one of the silly little examples. I'd find more uses for these tools as I revisit my hobbies. I find it tedious to try to rig stuff up all the time to make other tools work. I can, and do, and sometimes it's what you do, but in general, from the old AF days - right tool for the job.

I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    I read this thread title as "Bone Saw Recommendations?" probably due to who created it.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    Last summer I picked up a 9'' ryobi band saw and a craftsman bench mount drill press. They were yard sale items so I thought I give them a shot since the price was right. I use both of them quite often and it's so nice to be able to drill a hole straight. Both of them were invaluable this winter when I built a new flexi rack with butcher block. I can't think of anything I'd like to see on either one to make them work better. I mainly wonder why I waited so long to pick up these essential tools.

FWIW I'd recommend forgoing the bench grinder and get a Delta 1''x42'' -8'' disc sander. I owned a few bench grinders in the past but the Delta is by far more useful.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    What other stationary tools do you have? What do you want to use the bandsaw for? I'm a self proclaimed tool junky and I sold the bandsaw I had because I pretty much never used it.

My problem with tools is the battery operated stuff. They are so convenient to use, but I use them so infrequently that the batteries die, and replacements are expensive! 😱
    Alea jacta est!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    I have a Craftsman band saw that I hardly ever use. The only thing I use it for is scrolling. A porta-band is my go to for cutting anything metal. As for woodworking tools, all I own is Makita except for my shop table saw which is a vintage Rockwell.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Go check the estate sales in your area. Sometimes a real gem shows up.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    I like @sucks2beme's post -- the old stuff tended to be much better built than the new stuff.

@msg I asked our son about bandsaws (since he's become quite the tool maven since taking up woodworking with a vengeance during the COVID Times). He said he doesn't know much about bandsaws per se, but Harvey seems to be favored by some, and he felt one wouldn't go wrong with even a modern Delta (and certainly not a vintage one).

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/collections/bandsaws
  • msg
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I read this thread title as "Bone Saw Recommendations?" probably due to who created it.

I'll not rule it out, and the thought did cross my mind, though more along the lines of, "I bet the guys think I need a band saw for storing victims. That's what most of them are probably doing..."
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like @sucks2beme's post -- the old stuff tended to be much better built than the new stuff.
    @msg I asked our son about bandsaws (since he's become quite the tool maven since taking up woodworking with a vengeance during the COVID Times). He said he doesn't know much about bandsaws per se, but Harvey seems to be favored by some, and he felt one wouldn't go wrong with even a modern Delta (and certainly not a vintage one).
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/collections/bandsaws
    dayng! I suppose I should have taken a look at offerings in general before this post.
    Harvey looks darn fine!

@sucks2beme - indeed, good recommendation! not sure I have the time for that estate sale shopping, though, nor the energy to fight with buzzards. but I will consider used. that's a great idea, and I'm not sure why that hadn't occurred to me yet. I was once gifted an old Shopsmith and a vintage drill press that had suffered a basement flood during a storm. The Shopsmith still worked, but not the drill press. I didn't have a bench yet at the time, and had nowhere to store the stuff, so I had to give it away. A friend fixed the old burly belt-driven drill press by replacing the power cable, ha. I think it was an early Craftsman. It had three different size pulleys, and you'd adjust the speed by moving the belt to the different pulleys.

Harvey. DAYNG!!! Really, Mark?!? lol

I might have to revisit Trey's Harbor Freight suggestion, or at least look into them again. Years ago, their stuff really sucked, but that was when everything was orange. If you needed a throw-away recip saw, it was worth the $24.95.

Also Northern Tools. Always found them to be a notch above, but never bought any power stuff from them.

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Thanks for all the info so far, guys. 'Preciate it!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    @mhardy6647 - - well, I did say I enjoy nice tools while not setting any sort of budget :DB)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    We are here for you, buddy! B)
  • msg
    Options
    Thaaaat sounds eerily like the sort of thing we say to new members... As we spend their money!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What other saws do you already own? For woodworking I would have to say the single most useful one to own would probably be a compound sliding miter saw.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • msg
    Options
    Just a circular, jigsaw, and dual compound miter.

Again, I was thinking this would be more for small items, or custom cuts and more for utility type use. I'm not planning to get into any serious woodworking at this stage or any time in the near future.

Should probably start looking at some mid-level stuff. From what some of you have shared so far, it sounds like it wouldn't see a lot of use, so it probably makes sense to just get something decent, but not premium.

I'm curious as to whether any of you who have, had, or want one have any info to share on features to look for, etc.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    What other saws do you already own?

Just the typical hand operated bone saws...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,764
    edited April 27
    Options
    I have a 15" floor standing Craftsman, has served me well. If I had to do it again, I would splurge a little for a milling machine.

Any time I needed to drill a hole, in anything requiring a drill press, I could have done it on a milling machine. I also could have found many more projects and tasks for the mill over a drill press. Also, you can really slow the chuck down alot more than a drill press.

Only issue is it's another rabbit hole unless you set a budget and expectations.

Just like audio here, milling machines, lathes combo can put a big dent in the wallet if you dive in.

If you get a 4" like this one, then you question wanting a combo lathe, but if you go 6" then it gets pricey....oh the madness..lol.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-4-x-16-mini-milling-machine/g8689z

But for just a drill press, try to get one with electronic speed control, if not, I would aim for at least 250 RPM max on the low side, slower if poss, but not 500 RPM like many.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    edited April 27
    Options
    I have a Delta tabletop that has served me well over the past decade or so. If you get one I would purchase several replacement blades so you don’t have to dick around figuring out where to the the correct replacement. Also get something that collects the dust the saw spits out. FWIW.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I remember the one we had in HS woodshop had a welder/cutter on it that let you use blade stock on a roll. Probably not a feature you will need depending upon how many bodies.....I mean how much wood and metal you want to cut. 😉
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,456
    Options
    Can go Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/ a nice step up from HF

I do like the HF routers and drill press I have. Drill press was good enough to make banjo bolts for my son's hot rod.

Lowe's and HD have close out sections. Also check the used market.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music