Monitor 7 w/broken crossover

Options
I finished rebuilding those 7A’s in my previous thread (yes, I installed the Hurricane nuts, F1). I liked them so much I bought another pair of 7’s for my office (not 7A’s tho). 1988 model given the label on the back of mid. They arrive and of course, no sound out of one. I pull the crossover to the pics below. I’m not entirely sure what happened here. I didn’t think the cross over plate separated like that, or maybe… it doesn’t and that was the fix? Because it was just hanging in the cabinet. The other crossover is fully intact. Anyway, I suspect that is a bad solder joint on the red wire and just needs to be soldered to that spot next to the black wire, correct? On the other hand, some Mills and Clarity Caps are in my cart and I could just rebuild them.

hiwfibzbuj4w.jpeg

p8j3kfwipg6w.jpeg

bzzecmtnfaz1.jpeg

RTA 8t and Denon DCD-860 (Both bought new in 1990); Monitors: 7A; 7; 5JR; Mini Monitors (Broken); PSW 250; CS245; F/X 300i; Rialto 600; HK 6500; Denon AVR-1300X; JDS Labs O2 Headphone Amp and Subjective3; Grado SR225i;

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited April 24
    Options
    the red wire and just needs to be soldered to that spot next to the black wire, correct?
    Correct.

You'll also have to reattach the plastic parts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ajt528
    ajt528 Posts: 26
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

You'll also have to reattach the plastic parts.

Ok, thank you. Is that crossover “housing” supposed to come apart like that or was that part of a “fix”? Because it looks like somebody separated it then cut a hole in the plastic for the fix.

RTA 8t and Denon DCD-860 (Both bought new in 1990); Monitors: 7A; 7; 5JR; Mini Monitors (Broken); PSW 250; CS245; F/X 300i; Rialto 600; HK 6500; Denon AVR-1300X; JDS Labs O2 Headphone Amp and Subjective3; Grado SR225i;
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    Is that crossover “housing” supposed to come apart like that ?
    No, the cup has been broke.
  • ajt528
    ajt528 Posts: 26
    Options
    Speaker is functioning again! If there is a way those two pieces - the terminal cup, and I guess that other half is the big inductor - go together from the factory, I could not figure it out. Plus it seems like somebody broke it to get it apart, maybe to figure out what was wrong with it (and maybe do a not good fix). Anyway, I just wrapped more tape around the cup to re-attach it to big inductor. The additional tape is also keeping the loose inductor wire in place, which came out (or was pulled out) from the tape that is already wrapped around it. It’s not a permanent fix, but I wanted to make sure my soldering was successful and the speaker is, in fact, working again before I found a more permanent way to get the whole thing back together in one piece.

Thank you for the tips!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    Options
    That damage was caused by a hard fall. The inductor is rather heavy, so it breaks off the cup. Not the first time we've seen it and it won't be the last. Use epoxy made for use on plastics to bond the pieces together. Clamp them together for 24 hours.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk