Let's talk DAC's

Options
First off I am very pleased with the LKS DA004 DAC. A stellar performer that definitely lives up to it's reputation.
Simply just kicking some tires here, but I have been looking at DAC's in general just to see what else is out there. What are you guys using & comments on it's performance.
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    edited April 22
    Options
    when I was ready to move on from my LKS da004 dac, I naturally started to look at the da005, but I was curious about r2r dacs. Audio Art cables was selling his personal Sonnet Morpheus dac, and since I had written a couple of reviews in the past for them, I gave him a call and started asking questions, of course this led to me purchasing the dac.
    It has a wide/deep soundstage, very natural sounding, and good detail, sweet sounding.
    https://audioartcable.com/products/sonnet-morpheus?variant=32590407434286
    Post edited by marvda1 on
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,390
    Options
    My preference is R2R DAC's but they are limited and will not play SACD's and other high-rez formats. Currently running two different ANK DAC's. The performance from them makes me not miss the high-rez stuff. At all.

Much better than a Sabre or any of rhe other ones I have tried, IMO. Two completely different worlds.

Trey and Rick have fallen in love with Abbass DAC's. I'll let Trey speak for his selection, as he is more intimately familiar with them.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,092
    Options
    So far Abbas 2.4se, 3k new is my personal favorite.

I am going on a year and I'm still running the junk tubes he sent me, his words! They sound excellent.

Delta sigma/DSD is for the birds
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    I have a heavily modded Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC Supreme. I previously was using an EE Mini Max DAC Plus which was a big improvement over the much lauded Original Mini Max Dac.

Both have discrete op-amps installed the new one has 2 pairs of Mundorf Caps in the signal paths as well. Both are tube and solid state. The tube doesn't add much, but if one had no tubes in their rig it's noticeable.

The Supreme uses the tried and true Sabre ESS 9018 chipsets in parallel as well as 2 transformers, 1 for the analog 1 for the digital. Does Hi-Rez as well as DSD.

To me the EE's give the correct balance of analog with transparent and natural sparkling highs as well as exceptional sound staging and organic bass. Everything sounds "right". No etched highs, very smooth and articulate, zero fatigue.

56g0suhzwz54.jpg
    usjxf7a00m6j.jpg
    0045aec2xhlg.jpg
    rxo2i2oemeh6.jpg
    1yc70n3aytol.jpg
    rwzffy27j4v9.jpg
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,213
    edited April 23
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    My preference is R2R DAC's but they are limited and will not play SACD's and other high-rez formats. Currently running two different ANK DAC's. The performance from them makes me not miss the high-rez stuff. At all.

Tom

That's not entirely true. Your R2R DAC cannot do DSD (SACD), but there are other brands that do. Pretty much all the Denafrips line can playback DSD512 or higher, and high rez up to 24/192. I'm sure there are other brands that also do it.
    Most of the newer DACs that are using a programmable logic chip have the potential to decode the DSD input and output through the R2R signal path. Its up to the designers to implement it.
    In reality, for most of us, DSD is a novelty. I have less than 30 SACDs and haven't bought any new ones in 15+ years. I've ripped those all to my server (as DSF files), but out of 2000+ albums, it is really a tiny subset. If someone wants to purchase DSD music on a continuing basis, then I suppose its a different story.
    EDIT: I checked my server and I have 278 DSF files out of something like 17000 songs. Some of those DSF were free samples downloaded from NativeDSD and other companies (mostly out of business now).
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,390
    Options
    I'm not really sure what my DAC's restrict me at, to be honest. I think I have only been not able to play 3 songs. Then I made a switch in the Lumin (just one adjustment) and haven't had any issues since.

I have been told, that you could not do DSD with an R2R DAC. That's interesting and thanks for setting the record straight.

Like you, I have very limited strictly DSD/SACD files in my library and after debating to myself to keep the DS DAC that I had for quite some time, I bit the bullet and haven't looked back since. I don't really miss it. Some of the DSD sounds bad (from the original recording/mastering itself), so I wasn't really out that much music in the whole grand scheme of things.

I'll have them all back if I ever do get a DAC that can process them, as the new transport can read them. I'm not in any rush though, honestly.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    edited April 23
    Options
    I bought my LKS 004 based largely on Marv’s review. I’m pretty happy with it. Now I’m thinking about getting a streamer/DAC. Any thoughts about the wisdom of keeping the DAC and streamer separate components?
    Post edited by maxward on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    Options
    Re: Streamer/DAC, reading the review of this right now in Stereophile, they seem to like it: https://www.audioadvisor.com/camxn10?sku=NEW-CAMXN10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,121
    Options
    Happy camper here with the Simaudio 680d, and the 380d before that. The purity and sonic details that emerge from it have transformed how I listen to music. Pairing it with the McIntosh C2300 preamp has taken my listening experience to a completely different level.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,084
    Options
    Love my Norma Revo DS-2. It’s a CD player/DAC combo, but Norma also has a standalone DAC. I sold the LKS because I purchased the Norma and it’s been a worthwhile upgrade. Now, it’s also an apples to oranges comparison due to price, but most DAC’s listed in this thread are much more expensive than the LKS.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • VR3
    edited April 23
    Options
    This has been covered

Denafrips uses a different set for dsd, not R2r. It's essentially 2 dacs in one

R-2R DAC to decode PCM data stream and 32 steps FIR analogue filters hardware decoder to decode DSD data stream. These designs guaranteed the PCM format can be perfectly decoded, at the same time, the DSD format can be perfectly decoded as well. It is rare in the currently market that a R-2R DAC can hardware decode both PCM and DSD formats.

Denafrips also doesn't advertise the R2r does dsd...

"26Bit R-2R for PCM decoding, 6Bit DSD hardware decoding with 32 steps FIR filters"
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,765
    Options
    Good topic because I'm really chomping at the bit, a brief input if I may.

My streamer is an Aries Mini into the SA8005, sounds very good. However a Pontus 2 or the DS Mk1 looks very tempting. Thinking on feeding either with a Denafrips Hermes via I2S. I have not had ears on either.

Not sure how the DS pairs with SS amps.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,213
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    This has been covered

Denafrips uses a different set for dsd, not R2r. It's essentially 2 dacs in one

R-2R DAC to decode PCM data stream and 32 steps FIR analogue filters hardware decoder to decode DSD data stream. These designs guaranteed the PCM format can be perfectly decoded, at the same time, the DSD format can be perfectly decoded as well. It is rare in the currently market that a R-2R DAC can hardware decode both PCM and DSD formats.

Denafrips also doesn't advertise the R2r does dsd...

"26Bit R-2R for PCM decoding, 6Bit DSD hardware decoding with 32 steps FIR filters"

I guess I didn't read into that as deeply as I could have. With all the reviews for their products, that kinda detail seems to get glossed over.

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Ugh... you guys. Tempting me to spend more money when I just recently got new speakers and a subwoofer.

I figure I can do better than my PS Audio Directstream Jr, and I've had an itch to replace it. It's a DSD DAC. Since I do not have SACD or any DSD files, do I need DSD for any reason?

Interesting thread. I'd heard of R-2R but know nothing beyond the fact that it exists. I asked Bing what it was and it said the following which I found pretty amazing:

An R-2R DAC, or R-2R Digital-to-Analogue Converter, is a data converter that uses two precision resistors to convert a digital binary number into an analogue output signal proportional to the value of the digital number.

The R-2R DAC uses a resistive ladder network, which is a simple and inexpensive way to perform digital-to-analog conversion. This network uses just two resistive values: one resistor has the base value “R”, and the second resistor has twice the value of the first resistor, “2R”. This means that it is much easier to maintain the required accuracy of the resistors along the ladder network compared to other types of DACs.

The R-2R resistive ladder network directly converts a parallel digital symbol/word into an analog voltage. Each digital input (b0, b1, etc.) adds its own weighted contribution to the analog output. This network is easily scalable to any desired number of bits and has an output impedance equal to R, regardless of the number of bits, simplifying filtering and further analog signal processing circuit design.

In summary, the R-2R DAC is a simple, accurate, and cost-effective solution for digital-to-analog conversion. It’s widely used in various applications due to its scalability and the simplicity of its design

SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • VR3
    Options
    Delta sigma to me sounds like over processed wallpaper

R2r sounds like music
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,620
    edited April 23
    Options
    Probably why I like delta-sigma for electronic music. :)
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Any thoughts about the wisdom of keeping the DAC and streamer separate components?

I have a DAC/Streamer, and it works wonderfully. However there are some specific drawbacks and advantages.

In my mind there are 2 big advantages of keeping things separate: dedicated power supplies and software obsolescence.

A good DAC can easily last decades. It might not be able to do the flashiest new file formats, but honestly how much music is are you listening to that was actually mastered specifically for that new format, and how many CDs still sound amazing?

The streaming services are what I worry about most in a streamer. Eventually, the software will stop getting updates, just like your phone. Tidal Connect, whatever OS the streamer uses, etc.
    It’s not any different from your phone. Companies are getting better about this, but realistically at some point that steaming software will brick an otherwise great device.

If you have separates, you only brick the steamer.
    And if you don’t keep stuff for more than 5 years before upgrading, also not an issue.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    I've got the Gustard X26 Pro. I don't see me ever wanting to look for something better.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    So @displayname has “term limits” on his DACs lol…..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Mojo Audio V2 here. R-2R design is very natural in my system.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Here are Mojo Audio's latest offerings

https://www.mojo-audio.com/da-converters/
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    edited April 25
    Options
    In full disclosure, I'm currently running a Lampizator Baltic 4 balanced with Vol Control (preamp functions). Prior to this I had the Lampi Amber 3 in their Limited Edition 10th Anniversary BAL & RCA combo

My previous dac was the Supremo from NSD (North Star Design) . . . In a word, at it's price point . . .

End game for most folks

Really a well built piece of kit and punches above it's price point
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    edited April 26
    Options
    So @displayname has “term limits” on his DACs lol…..

Other way around. A stand alone DAC can hang around forever. But I fear the streamers might have a term limit if the apps stop getting software updates.

To elaborate, I remember growing up a lot of people’s dads and grandpa’s could have vintage system that didn’t change for decades, driven by vinyl and CD players.
    But I’d imagine a steamer gets fully bricked in that situation. Maybe not, but I just don’t know that those pieces will have 20 year lifespans purely due to software no longer being supported. Just like cellphones.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    Options
    I use a T+A DAC200 which is highly rated and performs excellent on both PCM and DSD up to 1024. It replaced a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2v2SE and sounds much better. I have had it for for about 1.5 years and had no thoughts of changing. It does everything I need a DAC to do.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    edited April 26
    Options
    Does anyone stream directly from a Fire tablet thru a DAC?

I bought a cable adapter from USB-C to USB-B and plugged into Fire tablet connecting to the Cambridge Audio DAC100. (Thanks @Conradicles ) It works and sounds great, The blue sampling light shows 96, but seems like the first song gets some glitches. As an album progresses, the glitches subside. Is this just part of the Amazon HD App's processing and how can I alleviate?
    Hope this is ON topic lol.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 709
    Options
    I’m using an Eversolo DMP-A8 in my main rig and an A6 in my patio system.
    Never been happier , no need to spend more money on anything else . Both are fantastic.

Bk
    PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,084
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

I bought a cable adapter from USB-C to USB-B and plugged into Fire tablet connecting to the Cambridge Audio DAC100. (Thanks @Conradicles ) It works and sounds great, The blue sampling light shows 96, but seems like the first song gets some glitches. As an album progresses, the glitches subside. Is this just part of the Amazon HD App's processing and how can I alleviate?

I used to have a FireTV going through my DAC. I used that setup for several years before finally getting a dedicated streamer a few months ago.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »

I used to have a FireTV going through my DAC. I used that setup for several years before finally getting a dedicated streamer a few months ago.

Weekend update and epiphany moment here. I ran a long USB-B from my PC to the DAC and Amazon HD app on PC never glitches AT ALL. It dawned on me to check the tablet wifi speed (27mbps) compared to the HP PC (300+mbps). I changed the tablet from 2.4GHZ wifi signal to 5.0ghz signal (tested 214mbs). Hooked it back up to the Cambridge DAC and presto...Zero glitches

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    Options
    Anyone have listening experience with a Chord Qutest DAC? It has been around for quite some time & certainly still gets great reviews at it's under 2k price point.
    I'm still very, very pleased with the LKS DAC but might be itching to try something different in the under 1.5k range.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 313
    Options
    Love mine - been listening to it for about 3 years now, and won't be looking to change. I've pared my system down to an ER w/external clock, streamer, DAC, and amp, great cables, and clean power. The sound is detailed, not fatiguing, and balanced
    with a very live-presentation soundstage.