Moving up the Maggie line

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
Well I can't believe this June will be 2yrs I've had the LRS. Time sure does fly bye!

I still can't get over how fantastic the LRS perform with everything I've thrown at them.

I almost don't want to move up the line but curiosity is getting the best of me.

I've been looking at the LRS+ ( out of this world reviews) the .7i (also with superb reviews) then of course is the 1.7i which I think I'm leaning to. The 1.7i is the biggest Maggie for my room so this move will pretty much be it. Nothing set in stone as of yet though. As good as the LRS are I can only imagine what the 1.7i will bring to the table. Stay tuned.

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    Hey, Phil!

At AXPONA starting tomorrow, Rogue Audio is sharing a room (#386) with Magnepan. They will have the new 2.7is paired with Rogue's RP-5 preamp and DragoN monoblocks. I can't wait! I think Maggie's are in my not-too-distant future.

Good luck with your decision!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    Pretty great Speakers Phil, You might want to contact Audiolab in Fairless Hills as they carry Maggies and they even might have a pair on the floor to check out. You can tell Dave I sent you , he might hook you up LOL.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Hey, Phil!

At AXPONA starting tomorrow, Rogue Audio is sharing a room (#386) with Magnepan. They will have the new 2.7is paired with Rogue's RP-5 preamp and DragoN monoblocks. I can't wait! I think Maggie's are in my not-too-distant future.

Good luck with your decision!

Man I'm jealous!!! Tell Mark & Nick I said hi. Tell them I do business with Stephen at Quest for Sound, he does a lot with Rogue. That's where I picked up my Magnum 99... fantastic piece.

Hey, if I spring for a new model I'll cut you a sweetheart deal on the LRS with custom Magna Riser Airborne stands. You never know!!

Enjoy the show... don't forget plenty of pics?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Pretty great Speakers Phil, You might want to contact Audiolab in Fairless Hills as they carry Maggies and they even might have a pair on the floor to check out. You can tell Dave I sent you , he might hook you up LOL.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info. I have no problem with name dropping. Every little bit helps.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Going to check out 1.7i's tomorrow morning. Right in my back door less than an hour away.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,126
    Options
    You might be able to get a set of MG 2.5’s to work in your space. They have a fantastic ribbon tweeter and dig a bit deeper to boot.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,379
    edited April 12
    Options
    Worth checking out the newer 2.7i model as well if those are on display, but I'm not sure how much those cost.

Edit: apparently $5,995 a pair for the 2.7i model. The dealer I got my 1.7i from is happy to handle upgrade trade-ins.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion but the 2.5 & the 2.7i are just too tall & wide for my usable setup space. The 1.7i is the perfect match size wise for my area.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    Options
    Got to get into the Maggie game myself.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Go for it Phil. Sounds like the Maggies are really doing it for you.

Keep us posted.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,495
    Options
    How does room play in to the selection for these types of speakers?

Will you still have your current pair until you see whether the new ones suit you?

This has always been one of the things about audio that I've found a bit frustrating. I can be impatient with hobby stuff when I'm on a streak, wanting to hurry up and get changes settled, and with things that take time to feel out, like having speakers and gear in house to mess with and hear for yourself, it can be a formula for winding up with a room full of gear on standby while things settle out.

I disabled signatures.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Go for it Phil. Sounds like the Maggies are really doing it for you.

Keep us posted.

H9

Hey Brock,

I just got back with them. They're less than 4 months old...I couldn't pass up the deal. My buddy is coming over to help me unload & get them setup. More to follow!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Congrats! That’s a good fit for your room.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Funny story, my buddy who helped me unload & set up the Maggie's is a huge Bose fan boy. He never heard of Magnepan & was scratching his head on how in the world is a 2" deep speaker capable of being any good.

Long story short I set them up (temporary spot for now). Now he's a Pink Floyd fan & of course I had to put on DSOTM for him. You know the over used saying...my jaw hit the floor, well that's exactly what happened along with him soiling his drawers Lol!! He kept getting up to try to figure out how that sound was even possible. I'm still laughing here myself. Who knows maybe a future convert to better sound.
  • heiney9
    Options
    You can tell/explain to people all day long why/how things sound better, etc. But the listening test is the best way to convince someone who think they know.

We are a small percentage of people who really research, spend money and enjoy exceptional sound. Some people have never heard good sound, or like your buddy (and so many people), the marketing from sellers like BOSE gets in their head as being the best, and they don't realize how good the music can be.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You can tell/explain to people all day long why/how things sound better, etc. But the listening test is the best way to convince someone who think they know.

We are a small percentage of people who really research, spend money and enjoy exceptional sound. Some people have never heard good sound, or like your buddy (and so many people), the marketing from sellers like BOSE gets in their head as being the best, and they don't realize how good the music can be.

H9

How true but I must say he was definitely smitten with what he heard. Baby steps.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Just a quick pic of the size comparison between the LRS & the 1.7i. Just a smidge of a difference.

k62291zauhin.jpg
    at8i9mubovas.jpg
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    The 2.7s are some BIG girls. I like the 1.7 size, also!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pearsall001
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    The 2.7s are some BIG girls. I like the 1.7 size, also!

2.7's are just a tad too big. The 1.7i's are a perfect fit. Sounding awesome!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,379
    Options
    The 2.7s are tempting because of the ribbon tweeter but I think the 1.7s are the perfect size for me for this type of speaker.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,403
    Options
    Congratulations, Phil!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    Options
    Very nice! The maggies do so many things well.

H9
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Still fiddling with placement, with Maggie's it seems like every inch you move them it yields a noticeable difference. But once you find that perfect placement your work is done. Made a few adjustments with the REL's but haven't dialed them in just yet. But I must say the BASS from these puppies is outstanding!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Looks like my LRS will be looking for a new home. Will be posting shortly in FS section. Hopefully they will find a new home with a fellow Polkie. Stay tuned.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Up for sale now...smokin hot deal...I would love to keep them in the Polk family. If you ever had that Maggie itch, now's the time to scratch it!!