Insightful, Agree, Like, LOL

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    Probably. Right now it's all fun and games but as time marches on, topics warp into another conversation and the off topic button crap hits, even though you are on topic during the conversation?

I am pretty sure your, "social credit" will go down.

Disagrees should be genuine. Off topic should be genuine (following the conversation).

Vote up? What does that even do with Vanilla?

Awesome? Well, I like that because it differentiates a like versus an awesome.

FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    Keep in mind, employers now look at, "social credit" scores......

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,481
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Probably. Right now it's all fun and games but as time marches on, topics warp into another conversation and the off topic button crap hits, even though you are on topic during the conversation?

I am pretty sure your, "social credit" will go down.

Disagrees should be genuine. Off topic should be genuine (following the conversation).

Vote up? What does that even do with Vanilla?

Awesome? Well, I like that because it differentiates a like versus an awesome.

FWIW.

Tom

Eh, rules schmules. This place is already too serious sometimes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    edited April 12
    Options
    Perhaps you haven't been to other forums to where everyone must tow the line and speak highly of the master or product....

This place is (while family friendly), a walk in the park Kasenski...

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Get rid of all of them. They take up more room than a lot of the posts, just ridiculous.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    Vote up, disagree, insightful, like and awesome.....all at the same time.....

What have we come too? (Rhetorical question)

Tom
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Agree, like, vote up and awesome are all too similar…
    Alea jacta est!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Agree, like, vote up and awesome are all too similar…

I was going to post the same thing except I wouldn’t include awesome. I agree that’s it’s similar, but I can at least make the distinction between something that I like and something that is awesome. Agree, like, and vote up are exactly the same to me.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,613
    Options
    Which is why I couldn’t decide which one to click just now, so passed.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Which is why I couldn’t decide which one to click just now, so passed.

I had no such trouble clicking LOL on this one.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    edited April 12
    Options
    Someone may disagree, only within the cloak of BS, anonomously....

Discrediting you for either humor, honest assessment or complete ****s**t.

If you have the guts to speak? Let the folks here know where are coming from. Don't hide. Be a (forgive the pronoun) man. A real one and speak your peace.

Tom

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    I'll be vying for off topic forum leader.
    B)
  • msg
    Options
    ^ haha
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,613
    Options
    That’s not one of the options, so “Off Topic” for you!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Off Topic rules.
  • msg
    Options
    Someone may disagree, only within the cloak of BS, anonomously....

Discrediting you for either humor, honest assessment or complete ****s**t.

If you have the guts to speak? Let the folks here know where are coming from. Don't hide. Be a (forgive the pronoun) man. A real one and speak your peace.

Tom
    yeah, I'm gonna respectfully disagree with this. Personally, I don't really care if people go nuts with disagree or off topic. I also don't have a problem with the anonymity given the pouncing that goes on around here sometimes.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, I just don't see these "negative" reactions as having much weight or being that serious? nor even really being all that negative.

I thought we were fine with what we had before, anyway. All the new ones were neat for a little while, but I agree that it's too busy, and similar/unnecessary.

I do also recall asking once, years ago, about other reaction options after doing some reading on Vanilla, and realizing other Vanilla forums had them. I was informed that early availability of "negative" reactions didn't go over well. not surprising.

I have no problem admitting we're really not mature enough or respectful enough to be consistently civil here, which is really kinda dumb. Disagreement shouldn't be such an offense, but it is. Gets kinda Facekooky around here sometimes. And like it or not social media escapees and critics - this has become a type of social media platform. I also don't recall early forums being like they are now. People are sackbeads in general these days. I do blame FB for that. Online interaction went south pri-tee fast after everyone got on FB. It seemed to blow through its honeymoon phase in just a few years.

The Awesome one's a good addition, though, imho. could be kinda like our "11". And the return of visibility does help with engagement for fun.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    ^ one quick add to my last...

I do get where you're coming from, Tom - none of what I said is intended to "go against" or "invalidate" anything you've shared.

I'm realizing that these new reactions are sort of a new set of "emotion definitions", but they're not defined, and it's obvious now that these can mean different things to people.

For me, Disagree does not equal "you're wrong". I might take it that way if I'm speaking about something I'm really passionate about, but that's on me to keep myself in check. There are the classic hot topics for most and we prob shouldn't be talking about that crap here anyway.

As far as Off Topic, who among us has ever seriously said, "Hey, your posts suck. STAY ON TOPIC!" I've usually seen this as a minor nudge, or the always funny derailing train meme or .gif

Tom, I think from now on, I'm going to substitute Disagree for Like across the board. So every time I like something you've said, I'll be clicking Disagree. And because there's no visibility, if you get a Disagree, you can just assume that it was me saying, Yes Tom, I like this.

I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe it's just me, I just don't see these "negative" reactions as having much weight or being that serious? nor even really being all that negative.

I thought we were fine with what we had before, anyway. All the new ones were neat for a little while, but I agree that it's too busy, and similar/unnecessary.

You said it.....I didn't change a thing....

8 years from now? The social credit thing? ...........

Tom
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    The “social credit thing” requires your identity to be known. Polk forum is mostly anonymous, with some exceptions.

On Facebook or other social accounts where an identity is often known, especially LinkedIn (but for some, also Twitter — if they use their real name), it’s obvious that an employer might like to know if a prospective hire goes off the rails easily, or has trouble managing contrary opinions to their own, since that could affect interpersonal relations at the work place too. They might not be a team player, so not necessarily a good fit.

Alea jacta est!
  • msg
    Options
    msg wrote: »

You said it.....I didn't change a thing....

8 years from now? The social credit thing? ...........
    Tom
    but it's just a forum not an Audiogon sales account, and we're all jacklegs anyway.

We should probably have extra reactions for "This guy sucks" and "I like this person", then we can really count on the social credit accuracy.

Or are you meaning that serious thing where employers search candidates' social accounts?

I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,699
    Options
    I insightfully disagree off topic.

Now excuse me, but I think I have to go vote up.

Stay awesome. Flag.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    edited April 13
    Options
    Reminds me of a Black Mirror Episode, Nosedive.. The population would thin quickly with the rise in suicide rates, especially with the younger generation..

https://youtu.be/ZM8Ua5sEhj0?si=71Bdxaw63YyveLCM

I think we have talked about this episode a few years ago..
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,289
    Options
    Larry that was straight up awesome
    No chit.
    I'm going to have to start watching that series, rhat looks on the level of Rod Serling 👍
    👍
    Sal Palooza
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    LOL, well, it must be a slow day at the Polk forum regarding audio related topics when the "Insightful, Agree, Like" thread gets up to 3 pages of glory and still going strong :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,085
    Options
    At times, we are all f***ing crazy!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,289
    Options
    I agee
    looks around at
    YouKnowWho &
    YouKnowWho😱
    Sal Palooza
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    LOL, well, it must be a slow day at the Polk forum regarding audio related topics when the "Insightful, Agree, Like" thread gets up to 3 pages of glory and still going strong :D

Was about to post exactly this. When I started the thread about a technical/feature topic, I thought it would be short and sweet, not that Polk would give us more reaction buttons. I laughed when I saw that the Off Topic and Dislike buttons were anonymous as I thought, "What's the bloody point of having them, then?"
  • msg
    edited April 13
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a Black Mirror Episode, Nosedive...
    Great series. I liked most of Black Mirror. By liked it, I mean to say, enjoyed it. That one you linked got kinda cringey it was so good. One of my favorite episodes was San Junipero. They're all really unique.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited April 13
    Options
    Larry that was straight up awesome
    No chit.
    I'm going to have to start watching that series, rhat looks on the level of Rod Serling 👍
    👍
    Since they're all self-contained stories, you might start with S5E1, Striking Vipers. I think @Toolfan66 said it was his favorite episode.

Also, for your first watch, starting with S5E1, consider inviting your friends over for a watch party. Get beer and grill.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    OFF TOPIC ^^ :D
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform