Monitor 5 Stands?

Options
Bobsama
Bobsama Posts: 526
edited June 2013 in Vintage Speakers
I'm looking for a bit of help regarding some speaker stands. I have a pair of Monitor 5's that sound horrible and wanted to build a simple stand to get them up off the floor and angled up. Does anyone have the designs for the original Monitor 5 stands? I'll be making the stands out of wood.

I actually want/need to make 2 sets of stands; one for floor use and one for desk use. I heard that the angle changes based on their height, and the height effects bass response. I noted the same where the Monitor 5's were very boomy when flat on the floor.

Thanks,
Bob
polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
Post edited by Bobsama on

Comments

• AFEuphman
    AFEuphman Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Resurrecting an old question because I suddenly have the same one! Does anyone have information on what a floor stand for the Monitor 5 would be like? I'm assuming the same 6 degree angle that I've been able to find in other posts. Now, what about height? Is the goal getting the tweeter to "ear level?"
    Thanks for the help!
  • canadianicon25
    canadianicon25 Posts: 200
    edited June 2013
    Options
    i don't know about building your own but if you think you may want a short stand i came across these:
    http://www.techdepotcanada.com/servlet/the-39250/BF16B-BF-dsh-16B-Sanus-Systems/Detail

i'm sure there is a US store that carries them as well.
  • AFEuphman
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Yes, I'm planning on building my own, but at around $40 USD... I may rethink that!
    So, I know that the Monitor 10's I see are all angled back. Is that because, even on a stand, the tweeter ends up too low, and everything else even lower still (time/distance alignment)? I guess I'm wondering if the monitor series speakers are SUPPOSED to be using the boundry effect of the floor. On a stand, how high up is the tweeter on a Mon 10? And then, are the tweets on the 12, 7 and 5, on their stands, at that same hight? I've gotta go hunt down some pics!
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Placing the tweeter at near ear height is preferred. The tilt back was designed to help time align the tweeter and woofers so they actually exist in the same vertical plane.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • AFEuphman
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation!
  • bamark
    bamark Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    Options
    AFEuphman wrote: »
    Resurrecting an old question because I suddenly have the same one! Does anyone have information on what a floor stand for the Monitor 5 would be like? I'm assuming the same 6 degree angle that I've been able to find in other posts. Now, what about height? Is the goal getting the tweeter to "ear level?"
    Thanks for the help!
    I posted that info some time back, and I think I included pictures. Try doing a search, and if you still can't find it, I'll be happy to send the measurements to you.

Btw, I have the original stands that came with my Monitor 5's when I purchased them new.

Mark
    Office:
    Pioneer SX-650
    Pioneer RG-1
    BSR EQ-110X
    Technics SL-23
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Samsung DVD M101 (transport)
    Entech Number Cruncher 203.2

Living Room:
    Pioneer SX-850
    Pioneer SG-9500
    Pioneer HPM-60's
    JVC XL-V161 CD Player
  • jgardzio
    jgardzio Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Mark:

I hope are still monitoring this site.

I have some Series 5 that I inherited and am looking for either the original stands or stands that will work with them.

Can you post a picture of the stands, or, if convenient, email me some pictures?

Regards,

Jim
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    jgardzio wrote: »
    Hi Mark:

I have some Series 5 that I inherited and am looking for either the original stands or stands that will work with them.

Can you post a picture of the stands, or, if convenient, email me some pictures?

Regards,

Jim

They haven't been logged into the site for 7 years and even then, they only had a total of 31 posts.
  • Astrl55
    Astrl55 Posts: 55
    Options
    Original Model 5 stands (circa 1978)

top: 9-5/16" x 8-1/4" ; sides taper from 3-1/8" to 2-1/2"

lcgop4q15m6a.jpg
    i859lf22secd.jpg
    7j5zebqsppup.jpg
    llopl10krrlo.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    Options
    jgardzio wrote: »
    Hi Mark:

Regards,

Jim

Any stands that bring the tweeter to ear height will work.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk