13»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Aren't they all raisin juice?

Well, yeah -- but but that's like saying that a Ferrari, a Ford, and a Lada are all ways to get the groceries. ;)

Well that's technically correct and as we all know, that's the best kind of correct!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »
    Is this akin to corporate "baller on a budget" concept I just learned about in the Mods section?

i7mo1zqbd2mr.jpg

Nowadays anything goes in conglomeration of corporations.
    Sound United may very well have already acquisitioned Boone's Farm brand.

New slogan...

Boone's Farm, vinted for ballers on a budget.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    So, I’m not sure what the future brings or what any of this means......as I think Polk has sorta bucked the odds for awhile now and like all good things....

I don’t really think that it’s a case of there is an audiophile lust on the part of the gaining entity. Perhaps SU isn’t in great financial shape and they need something to hemorrhage cash for tax purposes.....who knows but corporate acquisitions and mergers don’t generally seem to be based on anything but numbers on a spreadsheet.

Insofar as Polk goes, it’s got good name recognition.....better than Boston Acoustics but I also think look at what became of AR, Fisher etc etc under Audivox.....so anything is possible
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    I’ve never completely understood why Masimo, a healthcare company, was interested in audio in the first place. The consumer watches make sense (pulsometers and blood oxygen monitors etc.), but audiophile equipment is increasingly a niche market in the age of Sonos and smart home speakers from Google, Amazon and Apple.

Will this mean more changes at the helm? New moderator roles, or no moderator roles? Or maybe no more forum at all when the new owners move in?

Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited March 26
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Basically it’s back on the market
    We will see who picks it next
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited March 26
    Options
    I, and a few others are interested in another option for this forum.

If you do plan to take it down. Talk to me. Seriously.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Kex
    Options
    That didn’t work out so well the last time… 😱
    Alea jacta est!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Well, we all know money talks and bullXXit walks...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • xschop
    Options
    Maybe they'll produce a B&W that is listenable for more than an hour.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 27
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Basically it’s back on the market
    We will see who picks it next
    Dudes!
    We could take up a collection!
    We could start a GoFundMe!

All this could be ours!
    Bwhahahahahahaahaaaaaaaa!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 27
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Maybe they'll produce a B&W that is listenable for more than an hour.

I assume that is your experience with B&W speakers in whole?
    Curious what it is about how they sound makes you feel this way? I don't share that opinion so I'm simply curious.

I have also selected other brands ( Dynaudio ) over them when I was shopping for speakers many many years ago. I use to Install B&W speakers daily back when I worked at Soundex in Willow Groove PA. We where a huge B&W dealer and did the entire line including the very high end Cinema series, 800 series all the way down to the Leisure Monitors, which by the way are pretty fantastic little speakers, I do own a pair of those in White.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    B&w is perhaps the most boring speaker to listen to on the market
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited March 27
    Options
    All but the very early Bowers & Wilkins products I've listened to were ear-gougers. In their own way, even harder to listen to than the "heritage" Klipsch products.
    The B&W sound is bright and etched; designed to stand out in a showroom environment.
    Published frequency response data illustrate this for various models. This is one example only.

3g4do9illrrt.jpeg
    https://www.hifinews.com/content/bw-805-d4-signature-loudspeaker-lab-report
    3wydp5one0k0.jpg
    Current model, 10,000 British pounds the pair.
    If that's the sound you're looking for, you've found it! ;)
  • xschop
    edited March 27
    Options
    @mhardy6647 echoes my sentiment. I'm not a fan of their midrange/tweeter sound signature. Some of the newer models I heard were in a Best Buy sound room, and could be my biased impression, but to each his own.

I did help convert a set of Mon 10B's to SDA's a few years ago. The guy sold his classic B&W 800's (which sounded good to me), but with the new soundstage, they were no match for the old Polks.
  • Kex
    Options
    This is where I think that personal listening experiences are so important. What sounds “bright” or “ear piercing” to some will be described as “detailed”, “revealing”, or “refined” by others.

There’s no explanation for personal tastes IMH(fbw)O. It’s why I’ve decided that my next purchase will be after hearing the speakers in question myself beforehand.

I know some companies, including Polk, offer free listening periods before deciding to keep the speakers or send them back, but that just seems wrong, so I can’t quite make myself do it. I’m not going to have four different companies send me four different sets of speakers and send three back.

I don’t even send everything I get from amazon.com back unless it really was false advertising or faulty. I just give it away on a local donations group on Facebook.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Just depends on what you like. I like BW 800 series myself but I know it’s different from my Sonus or Magico. I also like Polks so I dunno. It’s nice to have choices.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound