Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
edited March 27 in The Clubhouse
Did y'all see this?

https://notthebee.com/article/watch-a-major-bridge-in-baltimore-collapsed-during-the-night-after-being-hit-by-a-cargo-ship

Cargo ship hit the bridge, knocked it down. Multiple casualties, huge search and rescue mission.

That's a big deal.

Not only are all those people hurt or dead but the Francis Scott Key bridge is the bridge that crosses the Patapsco River which is basically the opening to Baltimore Harbor.

With that bridge wreckage down and that cargo ship blocking half the channel, there is no way to get ships in and out of one of the largest shipping harbors on the east coast. This will affect supply chains in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast for sure and likely west through the Appalachian Mountains.

Also, traffic in Baltimore is going to get worse, to an extreme, without that southern beltway loop open.

Anybody we know might be involved or a casualty?

I just found out that one of the admin assistants where I work picks up her daughter from the Home Depot distro center in Sparrows Point a bit after her 2nd shift ends and nobody has been able to reach either of them this morning. They live in Laurel, MD so there's a chance they might have been involved. I don't know either of them but quite a few people from the Virginia office on the stand up meeting this morning were quite concerned. Hopefully they missed it and just had to take a real long detour in the middle of the night and are just still sleeping at home.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Looked real bad on the news today.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Compromising the main pier when no other vessels around. :/
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Thank God it was early in the morning and not rush hour.
    Still horrible tho. :'(
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    Why would the video get taken down I posted??
  • Jstas
    Options

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Makes no sense to me either.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    It was a matter of time. There are only 4 tiny "dolphins" in the water to protect the piers from being hit. Completely and totally insufficient!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I heard about that on the radio running a lunchtime errand. Quick thinking on their part, saved dozens of lives, no doubt.

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,007
    Options
    ^ What are 4 tiny dolphins?
    I’m assuming not the mammal…..
  • Jstas
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_(structure)

They are everywhere on the East Coast because of the "Intercoastal Waterway". Every navigable channel is required to have "dolphins" of some sort around posts, bollards, supports and any other crossing structure immediately adjacent to the marked navigable channel

• Jstas
    Options
    Dolphins are designed, typically, to deflect an impact, not take the brunt of it.

They work well when designed for the amount and size of the traffic that the channel they are in is servicing.

But in the videos, especially the one that Larry posted and it got deleted (you can see it in the article I posted) you can see the ship's bow makes impact before the jerk to port of it hitting the dolphins and support footing with the bow at the waterline.

In this case, the dolphins were likely not far enough away from the supports to deflect an impact.

If the dolphin is only 30 feet long but the bow of the ship extends 40 feet forward of the bow bubble at the water line then the ship structure is going to impact whatever the dolphin is supposed to protect before it ever hits the dolphin.

• F1nut
    Options
    3 examples of some pretty darn good bridge pier protection. Compare these to the tiny dolphins at the FSK bridge.
    0aog6o5dbzqm.jpg
    5cl4pbam863c.jpg
    c3wxj9i21j60.jpg

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Options
    In all honesty, the FSK doesn't really have dolphins. It has bulkheads that keep the foundation from being worn away by tidal forces but otherwise, not much to speak of. The supports nearest the channel are trapezoidal in shape so maybe that's why the dolphins aren't bigger? The bulkhead extend pretty far out from the base of the supports but they aren't shaped to deflect, they are pretty square and looking at aerial views straight down, the bridge surface completely obscures the bulkheads for the support bases.

I know the river itself is not that deep and the channel had to be cut with dredges to make it navigable for modern shipping and has to be regularly worked on to maintain it. If you carry a deep draft, though, going out of the channel runs you aground on the Chesapeake Bay silt and sand pretty quick. But that's not going to protect bridge supports from collisions.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,277
    Options
    The FSK bridge collapse will prove to be a much, much bigger deal in the coming weeks, and not just regionally
    A HUGE deal nationally
    Sal Palooza
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,007
    Options
    Thanks for splaining what a dolphin is.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited March 26
    Options
    We can expect supply chain issues again for some time. Probably until they can clear the channel for harbor traffic, and then add a few weeks/months for things to get back to normal.
    Baltimore is the 9th largest terminal in the USA. You can't take that out of commission without having major impact to the economy. Its also unsure if the container ship can be safely moved. When the Golden Ray capsized coming out of Brunswick, GA, it took them years to get that fully removed. Hopefully that doesn't happen in this case. I'm sure it will take a few months to get all the bridge skeleton cut and removed from the channel.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

If you’d have just said “G-D D—N!!!” somewhere in your post, you’d have been good!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The smart play would be to do debris removal and new pier/pylon and support work at the same time while the bridge deck and other needed structures are pre-fabbed off site and lifted into place when ready. The Northridge Quake wiped out the 14/I-5 corridor and yet it was fully reopened in months. I am sure the Fed/DoT will step up with emergency funding to make this happen.

zxz5us585d9b.jpg
    5qdwipgwl8k2.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    ^ What are 4 tiny dolphins?
    I’m assuming not the mammal…..

Circled in red are the woefully inadequate dolphins at the FSK bridge.
    wbeduq4lsqa2.jpg

President of Club Polk

• Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 214
    Options
    Compared with the bridges from above, this bridge looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ed Zachary

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Options
    Those might be power line pole platforms, Jesse. there's power likes on either side of the bridge

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    We stood up a Crisis Action Team at work today to deal with this disaster. Very sad and as many said will have far reaching impacts.

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • F1nut
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Those might be power line pole platforms, Jesse. there's power likes on either side of the bridge

No, the power lines are slightly further away on the Baltimore side of the bridge. One of the power line piers in yellow, dolphins in red.
    otnzvpx550ut.jpg

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,345
    Options
    This will go down as one of the worst engineering and safety protocol failures in history.

I saw the video of it going down. Man, when it went down? There was no time for a reaction. It simply snapped and went down!

Prayers go out to all involved, as well as to those who lost their life.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    It appears that the ship may have actually saved a bunch of lives. Their distress calls allowed the work crews that were on the bridge time to stop traffic from crossing. I have not yet heard of any people being lost in a vehicle, though there are 6 members of the work crew unaccounted for. I also know there are some vehicles in the water, but the reports are only six people missing at this time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I'm not conspiratorial by nature but seems like if someone wanted to do some harm to this country on the cheap, that bridge was a big, fat, juicy target. No protection which is just negligent considering the ramifications. I wonder how many other similarly easy, bang-for-the-buck targets are out there. Will be interesting to find out how that ship managed to hit it.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I'm not conspiratorial by nature but seems like if someone wanted to do some harm to this country on the cheap, that bridge was a big, fat, juicy target. No protection which is just negligent considering the ramifications. I wonder how many other similarly easy, bang-for-the-buck targets are out there. Will be interesting to find out how that ship managed to hit it.

Looks to have lost navigational/rudder control due to power failure. If someone was looking to do harm, they would have done this at the height of evening rush hour and without any sort of distress call. The ship itself seems to have had a checkered safety history.

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Let's also not forget, when that bridge was designed 50+ years ago, ships this large simply did not exist.
    TBH, given port growth here, I think it was only a matter of time. Thank God it wasn't rush hour.

The local news is giving large credit to both the ship & workers at the bridge in getting the roads shut down & saving many lives
This discussion has been closed.