You’re doing it wrong…

Options

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    lggr7a9hmamv.png
    So many things wrong here. We've all heard of a 'shade tree mechanic', and although there is some 'shade' involved here, I don't know the rest of the term for this setup.

Sure, let's put the transmission on a big pile of SAND.

And how about that jack in the foreground? I don't think that's going to work the way they think it will work...well, I guess it will work if they place it on that piece of plywood near the back wheel. I reckon they used it successfully to support and remove the tranny.

Wait...is that back wheel actually the spare tire?

I hope they accounted for the tide, or things could get interesting real fast.

Also, I hope they remember to fill-in and hard-pack the 'pit' before attempting to drive away, or it could be a very short trip.

Of course, these clowns will probably list the car for sale, mentioning, "Transmission recently serviced!"
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    I'm hoping that pic was ai generated or someone set it up just for a goofy photo. One thing that makes me think it's not real is there's not empty beer cans everywhere. Also if that redneck is capable of swapping a transmission then surely he knows enough to not do it there.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    h1j5csbtk9tf.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    Options
    1tk82f0eak78.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    Options
    67z0u6y2u761.jpeg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Wow!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Is that a Pontiac Aztek?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    How unsightly to drive around with no gas cap!!!!
  • daddyjt
    Options
    It’s giving Mad Max vibes…

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    ^^^^^ I like all for the "car".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jdjohn
    Options
    93zvqcjox5yf.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Well he forgot to install the power cord for lights.....
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Haha...yeah, some live electrical wires might come in handy when the bottom of the gas tank gets ripped apart...ya know, to help finish the job :D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    93zvqcjox5yf.jpg

A little RTV'll seal that right up.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    That looks like the trunk floor, not the gas tank. While I would not have done it that way, if it is used to only carry an external bicycle rack or something along those lines, I have seen much worse ways of securing those.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    Options
    That looks like the trunk floor, not the gas tank. While I would not have done it that way, if it is used to only carry an external bicycle rack or something along those lines, I have seen much worse ways of securing those.
    I think you're right...unless it's a Ford Pinto ;)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well he forgot to install the power cord for lights.....

Russ will get em sorted out
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,280
    edited March 21
    Options
    Wrong ?
    At Wally World this used to be $2.57 just last week.
    Now ?! 😳

s56ica3d4rpc.png
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    No worries my man. We are building back better with the inflation reduction.......what was it called again.....you know the thing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    edited March 22
    Options
    6zs1yjku2udd.png

A square meteor maybe? Falling construction beam? Irate spouse with a disc cutter?
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    DIY ratchet cold air intake
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 22
    Options
    Our son. Our poor, poor son :# was the "lucky recipient" :o of a 2004 Ford Freestar (was that what they were called?). The successor to the Windstar - Ford changed the name in a vain hope to think consumers wouldn't realize it was the same danged vehicle. Battlevan II in his parlance at the time -- successor to Battlevan, which was, in fact, a 1998 Windstar Limited :p -- the latter BV met its demise at ca. 133k miles with an action-packed total automatic transmission meltdown at speed on a freeway in a bad part of Worcester -- in the middle of the night. On a weekend.
    At any rate, without going into details as to why BVII had even entered our lives -- he and I were washing it one day. I think he was home from college. I was being a good car washer and washing the roof... and I discovered an odd wound up there.
    cusvf18m24bk.jpg
    biouu1zwtnd6.jpg
    I think I posted about it here way back when, as a matter of fact. Actually, maybe not -- but I did post it at AK:
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dont-laugh-anyone-here-willing-to-admit-to-ford-freestar-expertise.667251/
    Still puzzled by the etiology. Space debris, perhaps? Passing Boeing jet? ( :# too soon?)

PS I know it isn't in the right place, but the wound on the Benz that @SeleniumFalcon posted reminds me of the incision made to hack into modern car electronics to steal 'em. :|
    It looks like a fairly modern Benz.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,280
    Options
    It looks like that the Winstar wound would measure about 9mm in width, or possibly .40 inches.
    💥
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 22
    Options
    entrance or exit wound?
    Maybe that's why the thing was quite inexpensive. :#

It was, in fact, an ex-salesperson's car from my employer (Wyeth). Turned out that Wyeth had an annual program where they sold off-lease vehicles from their salesforce to... well, pretty much whomever in the company that wanted one, cheap. I never expected to own another minivan, but they are the perfect vehicle to move a college-age kid to/from a dorm. It also came in handy moving my father and some of his stuff from MD to NC when he sold the ol' family home and downsized to an apt in southern NC (near the SC border and not too far from Charlotte). Passed it along to our son sometime around the last couple of years he was in college. He had it 'til he was in his first real job post-doc.
    High-ish mileage but only a couple of years old when we got it. Kind of dinged up but in very good operating condition. Got our money's worth out of it when it was all said and done, and - unlike the aforementioned Windstar - it never stranded anyone. :|
  • daddyjt
    Options
    7435c1ijtt5b.jpeg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    7435c1ijtt5b.jpeg

That magnet should hold all the bits in place😁
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    7435c1ijtt5b.jpeg
    I think I am more intrigued about the Jim Jones-esque picture below.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to do simple things
    bc5szxsdl2o5.png