5751 tubes

Options
I am looking for a pair(preferably matched) of tubes that would play well with my current pair of 1964 Sylvania tubes. My phono stage takes 4 tubes(other pair are 12ax7) and am thinking all 4 being the same type of tube is best?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    Well that all depends. The 12ax7 will have more gain than the 5751. Yes I do agree that all being the same would be beneficial. There are some nice 12ax tube @Faustin is selling. you may reach out to him to see if he could hook you up.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199988/12ax7-tubes#latest
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Ivan what are your thoughts on these? I found em in my stash

0q9mqvsx28a1.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    GE 5751 were fairly plentiful.
    Now personally I'm not a big GE fan. I also have a good amount in my tube stash as well, I've tried many, black plate, gray plate and 5 star, they just don't tickle my ear.
    Like I said that is my opinion and mine only, others do like. The only way to tell is try them for yourself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited March 12
    Options
    Late '50's Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plates with yellow lettering are da bomb. The green letter Sylvania ones suck.

Yellow lettering.
    x001qjjngczx.png
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Early 5 Starr black plate GE's 5751's are one of the few great sounding GE tubes.

Look for late 50's early 60's Tung Sol gray plate 5751's, they are superb.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Raytheon JRP CRP 5751 - early 60's pinch plate, black plate w/square getter are what I am currently running and they are also phenomenal.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    It has also been suggested to look at early Tung Sol, USA made grey plates...but at $190 a pair?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 13
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    It has also been suggested to look at early Tung Sol, USA made grey plates...but at $190 a pair?

Be patient you'll find better deals. The early USA made Tung-Sol's were fairly scarce for awhile, in the past two years I have bought several pairs for between $80-$90 a pair or less that tested at new levels.
    They are not going down anytime soon for any of the excellent years of the 40's through the late 60's. Good tubes are not cheap and cheap tubes are not good. If you want some sticker shock, take a look at some Holland or Europe made tubes, THEY are stratospheric in cost. A few months back I watched a Amperex tube go for WAY over $350.00 FOR ONE TUBE !!
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 13
    Options
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/115839533182?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126089077562?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125760039489?

I've done a ton of business with this seller, she is very fair in her pricing and will make some deals to help you out. I'd put her in a favorite sellers list on ebay and keep your eyes on her stock.

This seller and his wife are super wonderful folks. I've bouht a ton from them as well. All tubes tested as good as they stated or better on my calibrated tester.
    these two sellers are easily my top two I buy from.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166642075731?

Another 12ax7 variant to think about is the 7025. They are in my experience are a very quiet tube. I've been stocking up on them as I find good deals.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Any comments on these? Thanks

pdzqfsx2nn1u.jpg
  • heiney9
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »

Yes, be patient. But old stock tube prices are off the charts these days. But, I think some of the pricing is really high and the stuff just sits. $190/pr. is high for those tubes from a non-dealer w/o a warranty, IMO.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 13
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Any comments on these? Thanks

pdzqfsx2nn1u.jpg

Have to see the actual tubes and markings. Boxes can be reprinted to look like one thing when the tube is actually another. I'd never purchase tubes just based on the package or what's written on the package. I have to see the tube to look at construction cues, date codes, glass envelope style, etc. Lots of very mediocre tubes were produced in the mid-late 70's and through the early 90's that people pass off as earlier much better product.

All that being said, I don't own anything that uses that tube designation or it's equivalents so I am not that well versed in the different construction styles.

Older Amperex (an American company) made in Holland are really good 6DJ8's (which is the American) designation the Euro designation is a ECC88.

So those are probably very good if they aren't 80's or 90's made. Or not true Holland made tubes. Richardson Electronics bought the Amperex name (along with others) in the 80's and labeled many inferior tubes as the real deal. Or rather gave the buyer the impression they were real deal tubes.

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Thanks Brock. I found my info. I bought these from "snow" back in 2017. I appreciate the comments
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Thanks Brock. I found my info. I bought these from "snow" back in 2017. I appreciate the comments

He's had some pretty nice tubes he's sold over the years.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Snow's tubes are solid for sure
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Some good info, the search is on....thanks.
  • heiney9
    edited March 14
    Options

Yeah, YMMV. He's pretty opinionated and IMO, off base on some of his assessments. But, they are his assessments and you can't fault him for liking what he likes. His way of identifying is a bit flawed as well.

This is also 25 years old.

H9