PSWi-8M trouble

Options
Repost from SW forum: I have an old PSWi-8m wireless/wired subwoofer. The wireless stopped working ages ago, and so I had it connected via RCA to my receiver (single pre SW output from receiver to one of the LR plus in back of the subwoofer). It stopped working recently, and I'm trying to see what happened. When I turn the subwoofer on with the switch, the green light on the back flashes for a while. The manual doesn't say anything, but I'm assuming it's trying to connect wirelessly to something that isn't there. Perhaps it's not detecting the wired input? Any suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated.

Answers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    There's no need to repost it in several sub-forums.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 1
    Options
    bretts wrote: »
    The manual doesn't say anything

It kinda does:

CONNECTING THE WIRELESS SUBWOOFER AND TRANSMITTER

The PSWi-8Mtransmitter and subwoofer come from the factory configured to work together. If the subwoofer stops receiving an audio signal, follow these instructions to re-establish the connection.

1. Turn off the subwoofer’s AC Mains switch.

2. Press and hold the SYNC button on the transmitter for three (3) seconds.

3. The status light on the transmitter will blink very quickly, indicating that the subwoofer and transmitter are ready to be connected.

4. Turn on the subwoofer’s AC Mains switch. When the subwoofer’s LED shines solid green, the subwoofer and the transmitter are connected and ready to use
  • bretts
    bretts Posts: 7
    Options
    That's for the wireless connection, yes. It doesn't mention what happens when you plug an rca cable directly
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Do you remember when you bought this item and how much you paid for it?
  • bretts
    Options
    2012 and it was cheap. I know I should just give up and buy another one, but I hate dumping things.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nice, you see the point I was trying to make then regarding price paid versus years of service it provided.

Assuming you have tried all the usual things like unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for a while for the caps to drain, utilizing a pinhole reset if there is one, checking and double checking all connections and receiver output settings, etc etc. then I'm not sure what else there is to try at this point.

From your description, it sounds like an issue with the electronics within the unit and most places charge $100-125 just to look at a piece of gear, so I really wouldn't be cost effective to attempt to have it serviced.
  • bretts
    Options
    Apologies for reposting, but I figured I had it in the wrong subforum to start. Although I suppose getting sound out of the subwoofer is optimizing it. There's not a whole lot of visible settings on the unit, so I'll probably just accept the inevitable. Thanks.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    If you list your budget for a replacement sub we could provide some recommendations.
  • bretts
    Options
    Okay. Under $250, smaller than 13'' by 13'' by 13'' wireless great but not necessary, and it's for a small living room. Mostly care about music -- have a two passive medium sized speaker set up otherwise.
    Thanks!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Under $250 with those dimensions doesn't exist.

How often do you listen to music? I'm surprised that you don't want a subwoofer that will actually make deep bass instead of just muddy midbass boom boom noises.
  • bretts
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't even tell you the crappy subpar speakers I'm using. I guess I just hate music.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    What crappy subpar speakers are you using? lol
  • Clipdat
    Options
    And he was never heard from again. :'(