Summing up SDA SRS mods so far.

Options
I started poking around with my original sda srs’s that I bought new in 1987 from the audio/photo store on Yakota AFB. When I was….well, very young. The only thing I ever did with them over the past 36 years is enjoy them. I’ve had several different amps and sources put to them all top notch gear but just in the last year I got interested in finding out what could be done to make them better and more up to date. I started with tweeters which I had replaced about 25 years ago. I had 3 blown 2000’s so I called Polk. They sent me 8 SL2500’s. Don’t ask. I don’t know. I listened to them until recently when I started talking to Dave at DHS Speaker and he’s like “WHAT?” I could not order the 0194’s fast enough! I am now hooked into how awesome these things can be with some love , time and money. Thanks to the wealth of knowledge and expertise through this forum I started. I have had some misshaps along the way, starting posting…all over the place🥴 and now after learning a ton from all you folks am all sorted out and moving forward.
So far I have finished the following.
Rebuilt the stock binding cups with new posts and Speakon for sda interconnect.
Replaced tweeters with RD0194’s
Re sealed all drivers
Dynomat all drivers and PR
Replaced SDA inductors with low dcr Jantzen Coils.
Removed polyswitch’s
Results are very positive but the biggest impact is the Jantzen C coils.
I’m so stoked that I retired my Nak Pa7 for a pristine Threshold S500e.
I am going to start building new crossover’s very soon and can’t wait to hear the results!
Cheers and thanks to the many who have helped!

Comments

• gregmoyers
    gregmoyers Posts: 140
    Options
    Correction
    S550e.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Got pictures of your build?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • gregmoyers
    Options
    Haven’t started the crossover’s yet. Here are cups and inductor mounting.ayk6d5ek6rmy.jpeg
    ivn127rh6o84.jpeg
    tdn4aa465xcc.jpeg
    jvo5dmyqldl7.jpeg
    up7oqikgurgx.jpeg
    qxcx2urvjnzb.jpeg
    6a8bqi7soe27.jpeg
  • gregmoyers
    Options
    Update: ordered all crossover parts
    Clarity, solen, Path, Mills. Will start figuring out a direct connect board for the low pass caps.
    While they’re apart I’ll put BH5 in. Stay tuned.
    Film at 11.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,078
    Options
    I would highly recommend changing the tweeter internal wiring at. A minimum
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    Damn nice job.

Trey, why the recommend on the tweeter wiring?
    That’s something I did not do, curiosity.
  • VR3
    Options
    The tweeter wiring on the original sda srs is beyond life expectancy. The insulation is even turning to goo in the ones I have seen. Nasty wire
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Damn nice job.

Trey, why the recommend on the tweeter wiring?
    That’s something I did not do, curiosity.

All your chassis wire has turned green, replace all of it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    Is there any reason to replace if there’s no oxidation… turning green?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    If copper is green...it's oxidized.

There was a time--thirty years ago or more--when Monster Cable had problems with this. They claimed it did not affect the sound...but they also replaced all the green stuff with fresh copper-colored wire as a "warranty" item.
  • F1nut
    Options

All I see is oxidized.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    Mine look like new, not gonna mess with it.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yours
    cyzx35rx7zot.png

What new looks like
    mr5eeiv1nbbx.jpeg

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    To be fair the one pictures belongs to @gregmoyers but I would say out of all the sda srs tweeter wiring I've seen.. Greg's the best looking and well.. There ya go
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Dang it F1, you went and done it….
    Need to take out some tweets and have a closer look.
  • F1nut
    Options

Don't replace any clear jacketed cable with new clear jacketed cable as one never knows the quality of the jacket. Some have a chemical reaction between the plasticiser and the copper causing the copper to corrode/oxidize, while others do not. It's not worth chancing.

President of Club Polk

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    Example of the big green monster cable.
    fdftjybzgptx.jpeg
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    thats a unique boutique feature called patina and is highly desirable.

New York even has a statue featuring this on display for all of the world to see!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,118
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    thats a unique boutique feature called patina and is highly desirable.

New York even has a statue featuring this on display for all of the world to see!

The greening of the wire also gives it a more earthy and organic sound quality.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • skipshot12
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Don't replace any clear jacketed cable with new clear jacketed cable as one never knows the quality of the jacket. Some have a chemical reaction between the plasticiser and the copper causing the copper to corrode/oxidize, while others do not. It's not worth chancing.

F1, what I’m understanding from the above is…..
    If I end up having to replace the wires I shouldn’t use clear jacketed wire, is that correct?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    edited February 21
    Options
    Do not use clear jacketed wire, YES that is what @F1nut is saying.
    The better alternative is Teflon or PVC jacket material.
    Every clear jacketed wire I have used ALL did the same. Either the jacket material or chemicals used to make it are HOSTILE to copper.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Correct

President of Club Polk