Just bought RTA 11Ts

Options
bullet150
bullet150 Posts: 39
edited February 10 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all. I just picked up a pair of RTA 11ts. I did the woofer push test and it passed but I'm not sure how to tell what speaker is the left and right. Any other recommendations on things to check before I hook them up are greatly appreciated as well as any upgrade advice you guys may have for these

f6a7n36sw74m.jpg
yrwaryj02h3e.jpg
elra6ijuix3j.jpg
adt34ltwn1bh.jpg
u45lpc8n20c2.jpg
io1z6nfsch9w.jpg
2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll
Post edited by bullet150 on

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    Options
    Congratulations. Their both the same.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited February 10
    Options
    You could take the woofers out & put a bead of glue around each side of the magnets on the woofer basket. Over time the 30+ year old glue starts to fail. By doing this it will help on "shifting magnets". The slightest drop or hit will cause this. A light bead on each side may prevent it in the future..... You could "upgrade" the tweeters to a better Polk tweeter. I do believe it's the RD0194 ? Don't quote me on that. I have the RTA15tl's (0198's). You stated you did the push. Did you push in on the passive & HOLD it in (easy) & watch the woofers come out & see how long it takes togo back resting point - while your still holding passive in. 3+5 seconds is good. If less you have leak in cabinet.. You could also LITELY tighten all woofers & passive & binding on rear down. Just snug em up... Unless you have issues I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy..... Pls keep in mind. If no crossover work has been done ever.. The 30+yo crossovers are die for a refresh
    Randy/Maine
  • bullet150
    Options
    @boston1450, on my speakers the terminal caps do not match up color wise between both speakers. if the RTA 11ts are not not a left and right paired speaker would it be a an educated guess to say that the red and black got switched on one speaker, and if so is the correct order red on left, black on right or black on left red on right?
    2ch setup: Polk monitor 10s peerless tweeters, RTA 11T, Technics SA-828, Technics SL-1800MKll
  • boston1450
    Options
    Someone messed it up. They should be the same.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    We were just talking about this very recent. I forgot what side there on. I'm no home. Someone will chime in
    Randy/Maine
  • bullet150
    Options
    @boston1450 thank you for all the advice. my polk monitor 10s both have red on left and black on right. safe to assume thats the order?
  • boston1450
    edited February 10
    Options
    I'm trying to find the recent thread
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited February 10
    Options
    PosRed on left side. Both. Also. The tweeter upgrade is the RD0194 which is much better
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    How's the cabinets look on them ?
    Randy/Maine
  • subkron
    subkron Posts: 57
    Options
    From @boston1450 , "You could take the woofers out & put a bead of glue ..." is good advice but I would say you "should" do it. I had a pair of the 11Ts about 6 years ago and they really needed to be glued up. Easy to do and saves you from dealing with shifted magnets down the road. And of course doing up the crossovers are worthwhile as well.
  • bullet150
    Options
    @boston1450. push test checked good, reading on my multimeter was between 6-8 over various checks. gonna plug em in and see what happens. cabs are in decent to good shape. missing a few of the little plastic feet under the raised base on the one. i need to do the glue or jb weld on my 10s but i also need to get new material to put under those drivers as those are early versions with the metal baskets on the outside and peerles tweets
  • boston1450
    Options
    I don't push anyone lol.. Those look great. If the cabinets are good & you enjoy them & decide to keep them for awhile try upgrades. You could do a basic upgrade with just adding tweeters. Then if you have issues with crossovers. Do the basic crossover refresh .. I think you could also TL them so you could use the RD0198 which is even a better sounding tweeter IMO
    Randy/Maine
  • bullet150
    edited February 10
    Options
    eahjhoacttgn.jpg
    krrfs4s06040.jpg
    @boston1450 so far so good, will post photos of current setup. not ideal placement by far but the speakers sound like they are working right and sound good to my ears
  • boston1450
    Options
    Sweet. You already had it under control :D now see if you did a overhaul you could "spike" em lol. I'm not sure if you like the tweeters those BUT the 0194 are so much better on the ears
    Randy/Maine
  • bullet150
    edited February 10
    Options
    @boston1450 i will say I've never gotten tired of the peerless on my monitor 10s and I know some say the 0194 are comparable . sadly one of the grills on my 10s was toast so i leave em off but the ones on my rta 11s are in amazing shape. maybe you got some better ideas for speaker placement and or stands. what i got underneath em currently holds all my movies
  • boston1450
    Options
    SL2000
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Whatdaheck are they up there for. If your sitting down no wonder you can't hear the tweeter
    Randy/Maine
  • bullet150
    edited February 10
    Options
    @boston1450 was always under the impression the tweeter should be ear level and at my height of 6 ft when i sit down that puts the tweeters of my monitor 10s at ear level. Obviously the rta is too tall where i have them right now
  • boston1450
    Options
    Oh. Ok. I'd have to be in a plane to hear them lol.
    Randy/Maine
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    You interested in making them the TL version, and extra parts? TL grills and all..

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199804/rta-11t-parts-interest#latest
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,610
    Options
    Use JB weld two part epoxy, the gray metal looking stuff on the magnets. Top and bottom of the magnet.
    Craft (popsicle) sticks are your friend. Tedious job but worth it to keep the magnets from possible voice coil damage.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    Since I was asked, red on left and black on right is correct.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    edited February 10
    Options
    bullet150 wrote: »

krrfs4s06040.jpg
    @boston1450 so far so good, will post photos of current setup. not ideal placement by far but the speakers sound like they are working right and sound good to my ears

Cool to see the Technics "wing" FM antenna -- and that early "hybrid" digital/analog Technics receiver with the FM tuning "meter" display! SA-828(?)

14015969136_4b20b7732a_b.jpg
  • bullet150
    Options
    @mhardy6647 you are correct! I've had the sa-828 since 2017 or 2018. Recently got the wing antenna last year tho it is a Japanese model meaning it's marked for the old Japanese fm band. Not sure if the internal circuitry is tuned for it but it still picks up the main local stations I listen to on the auto setting.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    edited February 11
    Options
    bullet150 wrote: »
    ...Recently got the wing antenna last year tho it is a Japanese model meaning it's marked for the old Japanese fm band. Not sure if the internal circuitry is tuned for it but it still picks up the main local stations I listen to on the auto setting.

That's wild! The one I have is for the US FM band (same as most of the world, but, of course, not the frequency range used for FM in Japan).
    It's not a bad indoor antenna -- plus it has undeniable panache. :)

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I wonder if there's a way to set up the antenna internally (with pots or dip switches) so that it'll work in the frequency range we use?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    Just hire some kid to wear tin foil gloves and stand and hold it in various orientations. Pretty sure you could still tune in The Munsters at 4:35pm EST. (Brady Bunch next, at 5:05pm)
    I disabled signatures.