Denon DL 110 versus DL: 110A

Options
Been thinking about trying the 110 cart and see now they have the anniversary edition out. Anybody had ears on the newer cart?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    I had the 110 on my turntable for a couple years. It is a good entry level high output moving coil cartridge. I have not heard the new Anniversary edition. I preferred the dynamics of a Dynavector 10x to the Denon on my system, but at twice the price, that's to be expected.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    Some reviews had me thinking of trying the 110 to see what, if any, improvements I can hear from my Shure cart. Would love to try the 10x too, but further down the road...too many other projects taking my $$ right now.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • dolsey01
    dolsey01 Posts: 15
    Options
    When we were buying the DL110 for $99 from Comet Supply back in the day it was a good value and great sounding, but at its current pricing, I'm not so sure that value proposition is there at it's current retail of $399 (unless you are importing from Japan in the low $200s). I tried it on a Rega P3-24 I had at the time and liked it but wasn't blown away by it. I think I had a Goldring 1042 on a Music Hall MMF5 I was comparing it to and IMHO the 1042 was better and almost equal in price back then. I did like it better than the Ortofon Blue.
  • newbie308
    Options
    After switching to a low output moving coil cartridge and hearing for the first time, everything I was missing with moving magnet and high output moving coil cartridges, I will never go back. There is no comparison. It is similar to listening to a song from an MP3 file vs. FLAC
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    I've never heard a low output cart(to the best of my knowledge), but can appreciate the mp3 comment. So, are there any low output carts in the $400 range worth trying? Also, would I have to stay with a Denon headshell?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Keep in mind you’ll likely need a step up transformer for a LOMC. Is that what you’re using, Newbie308? If so, that will add to cost.
  • newbie308
    Options
    My preamp accommodates both MC and MM, so the need for a step up transformer was not a factor for me. There is a multitude of LOMC phono cartridges in the $400 price range that are very good, and an entry level phono preamp that has MC inputs is not very expensive. There is a Denon step up transformer on FB Marketplace near me for $75.

Ortofon Quintet red
    Grado Platinum 2
    Audio-Technica AT-OC9
    Denon DL-103 (if you have the correct tone arm)
    Hana EL

And if you look around, there are a lot of lightly used or NOS cartridges on the various online resale shops. You could probably get a cartridge that cost $800 new for $400 used if you are patient. IMO it would be worth the investment.