Underrated Comedy

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,466
edited July 2023 in Music & Movies
You guys got any funny stuff you enjoy that hasn't quite hit mainstream?

I've always enjoyed the Flight of the Conchords stuff. Last year, I think it was, HBO had a series called Our Flag Means Death with one of the guys from Flight, and Taika Waititi, who's friggin' hilarious. The other characters are funny in their own ways, as well, especially Black Pete. He's a liar with a lisp who tries to be a tough guy. He's also funny because he looks exactly like one of the guys I used to work with.

The comedy in these programs is a bit understated, subtle; nuanced, and more funny in situational ways that is cumulative between episodes. Also in the ways the characters play it.

Taika Waititi was a new one for me, but that dude is stupendous as Blackbeard.

These are both available on HBOMAX. Don't be afraid, subscribe for a month, watch these, and dump it if there's nothing else you want to watch. Personally, I've been meaning to get Showtime again, to finish all the Ray Donovans, not that that's comedy.

Flight of the Conchords
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0863046/
rni8eav26ki0.png

Our Flag Means Death
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11000902/
vvoxv86ee5r1.png
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    I've convinced a few people to watch The Death Of Stalin. Maybe it's more well known than I realize but nobody I know had seen it.

I came away from that movie sore from laughing so much!

Another one with Taika is Jojo Rabbit. Absolutely hilarious!
  • msg
    Options
    Ah, good stuff! I just noticed Jojo Rabbit in passing on IMDB the other day.

Death of Stalin - good call, my brother mentioned that a while back saying same as you. I'll move that one up the list.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Here's a classic from 1992. Hilarious stuff.

jcxel2rjfcao.jpg
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    I always thought this movie was hilarious. It's one of those that you have to watch several times, and it gets funnier each time.
    upmysvrzt5lh.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    It's a Robin Williams movie but seems it flew under the radar.

Death to smoochy is an all time favorite for me. You may have to watch it twice because the first time will throw you off and it only becomes funnier as you watch it again and again
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Napoleon Dynamite is one for me.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited January 7
    Options
    I can think of two, but they're awfully old and pretty banal.
    Norman Lear made a very dark comedy movie called Cold Turkey which was kind of (kind of... :p ) an Americanized version of Dürrenmatt's play Der Besuch der alten Dame ("The Visit"). One of those "Devil's bargain" kind of deals. A small town that's slowly dying as the modern world leaves it behind is offered an immense sum of money if everyone in the town can quit smoking for a month. "Big Tobacco" is involved (of course). Hilarity ensues. :# Randy Newman did the theme song.
    649r2n2hi1ay.jpg

The other one is a truly goofy satire lampooning the disaster movies of the early to mid 1970s called The Big Bus. All of the disaster movie tropes befall an ill-fated two-story nuclear-powered bus on its maiden voyage.

nzuvfcietyvr.jpg

I find both of these movies hysterical -- and, no, I wouldn't admit that just anywhere. :blush:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited January 7
    Options
    Oooh, I just thought of another one:
    Silver Streak with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.

and another:
    What's Up, Doc? Babs Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. Funniest car chase scene scene I've ever seen.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    Does Midnight Run count? Great compilation, crappy video . . . Charles Gordin, soo under rated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXZeALdakLk
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    edited January 7
    Options
    l8hkro4v671r.jpeg

The film could be loosely described as a buddy-cop movie, but there’s much more going on than that. The chemistry between Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr is pure magic. The story is compelling with a good mystery (and a twist). Perhaps my favorite aspect of the film however, is the razor-sharp dialogue - it’s supremely witty, darkly humorous, and laugh out loud funny (albeit not for the kids).

https://youtu.be/__PnD1HWXSo?si=BCG6iU9VWMXkt_Yr
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    5otgnp02suvg.png

A remake of this should be made depicting audiophiles instead of dog people.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

You're just jealous because I've been chatting with hot babes online all day.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »

You're just jealous because I've been chatting with hot babes online all day.
    Don't get me started with movie quotes!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    Options
    lol, that'd actually probably make for a fun thread!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    tp25kcxc15c1.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    edited January 9
    Options
    mz06t6etzuam.gif
    Me on US Audio Mart, TMR Audio, etc.
  • msg
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The other one is a truly goofy satire lampooning the disaster movies of the early to mid 1970s called The Big Bus. All of the disaster movie tropes befall an ill-fated two-story nuclear-powered bus on its maiden voyage.
    nzuvfcietyvr.jpg

I find both of these movies hysterical -- and, no, I wouldn't admit that just anywhere. :blush:
    At first I thought this might be the one with Marty Feldman, but it's not. I forget which film that was with him in it where there's an out of control bus... I'll figure it out...

But this one's on my list.
    When I was a kid, I remember not liking Rizzo much on accounta her bein' meain, but when I got older, man, Stockard Channing sure was a cute thing.

Not that this is one of those photos, necessarily, but got a chuckle at this still from The Fortune while taking a quick flip through IMDB. Gonna hafta check this one out - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073008/
    b79lc9apykrx.png

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Tune in, Tokyo… Tune in, Tokyo…
    I disabled signatures.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,520
    Options
    For those who like Best in Show, check out Waiting for Guffman.