Demoing your system to someone new to stereo

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,521
So, has anyone demoed their system to someone completely new to the idea of stereo listening? I'm not saying someone new to the hobby, I mean someone completely oblivious to the sport completely?

Are they able to discern sound staging? Are they able to appreciate the sonic performance? Or do they just look at you like you have 2 heads?

Any stories or thoughts?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    My girlfriend listens to music on her iPhone and has zero interest in anything better. I offered to put together a small system for her, and she said, "no thanks". When she's at my house, she will listen with me, but would be just as happy to listen to the same music from her phone. She thinks I'm the crazy one for spending thousands on hifi gear when I could just use my phone.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    My girlfriend listens to music on her iPhone and has zero interest in anything better. I offered to put together a small system for her, and she said, "no thanks". When she's at my house, she will listen with me, but would be just as happy to listen to the same music from her phone. She thinks I'm the crazy one for spending thousands on hifi gear when I could just use my phone.

I would say the majority of people fall somewhere between your girlfriend and “a Bluetooth speaker is good enough.” Very few people who see my speakers seem to show much interest, sometimes get a comment along the lines of “those things are huge I bet they sound good,” but they’re not super interested.

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Several months ago when my 23 year-old daughter was home, I had her come down and take a listen. I had her cue up whatever she wanted to listen to on her phone and BT'd it through my system. A minute or two in her eyes got big and she exclaimed, "You can hear everything!"

But ... that was the end of that. There have been several changes since then and she has expressed zero interest in taking another listen, totally happy with her AirPods.

I think if I was her, I'd be keeping a playlist for the next time I came home of stuff I wanted to listen to on the old man's rig and hear what I'd been missing. She did seem to enjoy and appreciate that one experience, but there's evidently no interest in repeating it. Could just be a generational gap thing. She's been around decent systems up until she left for college. We had a pretty good HT system in the previous house that I played plenty of music on. Just never caught on with her, for whatever reason.

Most people look at me like I have two heads when it comes to keeping my vehicles clean and in top running order. I guess, why should this be any different? 😁

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Fortunately, my son appreciates good sound. In fact, he's coming over next weekend to hear the Snake River Amp power cord in my system before I send it to the next lucky party. I'm sure going to miss this cord, until I get one to replace it.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So, has anyone demoed their system to someone completely new to the idea of stereo listening? I'm not saying someone new to the hobby, I mean someone completely oblivious to the sport completely?

I have recently, a couple of months back. A complete novice friend of mine and I talk off and on about my hobby and he showed some interest in listening after I was describing what I was experiencing. The best he had heard up to that point was his stereo out in his shop with the speakers sitting up on the rafters. Not a great setup, even though his gear was above El Cheapo, Best Buy stuff. Other than that, just concerts he had attended over the years.
    Are they able to discern sound staging?

Absolutely. That's the one thing that he was truly amazed about. He even pointed out some of the things, their placement and how palpable the image was. He even told me that he could tell just how big the size of the venue was, that he didn't know a system could do that. He could not get over how he could hear everything individually and place where each respective instrument/singer was. He just loved to point out things and where they were. I could feel his excitement when he was enthusiastically pointing at a new instrument/singer within said stage.
    Are they able to appreciate the sonic performance?

Not to the level I do but yes. But he could definitely see why I like the hobby as much as I do. He is now interested in getting a small setup.
    Or do they just look at you like you have 2 heads?

Not at me like that. He looked at the rig as it was playing, as if he was stunned a bit. A bit of confusion, a sense of pleasure and the look of wonderment at what he was hearing.
    Any stories or thoughts?

My friend above aside....The biggest compliment I can say I have ever had wasn't even spoken. It is the looks on people's faces when a selection starts. Those looks are priceless and that says it all to me. The eyes popping wide open, much like an old cartoon, the jaw drop and deer in the headlight look is a dead giveaway at telling me what they are wanting to say.

It's moments like these that do make me proud of what I have been able to cobble together but the real pleasure comes when they leave and it's just me and the music. That's my true bliss.

I'll have my cousin Helen over with her boyfriend, Cody within the next couple of weeks. They both have not heard a decent system yet and we shall see what their observations will be.

This thread could serve as a reminder to folks to plant that seed. It may take 20 years to start growing but it will never grow until a seed has been planted. Throughout my audio journey, I have tried to plant as many seeds as I could. My uncle Tommy planted the seed for me back when I was 8 years old and that seed has taken off over the decades to grow to where I am at now.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if they even hear what we hear or are we just tricking ourselves
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    Fortunately, my son appreciates good sound. In fact, he's coming over next weekend to hear the Snake River Amp power cord in my system before I send it to the next lucky party. I'm sure going to miss this cord, until I get one to replace it.

That's me, that's me!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if they even hear what we hear or are we just tricking ourselves

The gentlemen I was referring to above? He had heard my descriptions of what I hear, but this was usually out at the lake while enjoying the sun and a few adult drinks. There was a plethora of time between this summer (before it got too cold to swim) and when he came over.

What he heard, HE pointed out. I didn't point out a thing. He was spot on correct, though. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I have had a few opportunities to plant my 3 year old daughter in the sweet spot and it is interesting to watch her head turn as if to find the source of a sound, very amusing.

My wife has sat and listened but really has zero interest
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Genetics. Men evolved to be able to pick up the most finite details while hunting for game. Women perceive color nuances more from gathering berries and herbs. Women can probably hear the details but they just don't care. Men can see how red a rose is but they just don't care.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited January 7
    Options
    My neighbor wasted no time standing directly in the plane of, and between my speakers, and really dug how the soundstage was still way in front of him and clear. I was impressed with the fact that he picked up on that, but it might be because he is a high functioning st***er lol.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Joey_V
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

The gentlemen I was referring to above? He had heard my descriptions of what I hear, but this was usually out at the lake while enjoying the sun and a few adult drinks. There was a plethora of time between this summer (before it got too cold to swim) and when he came over.

What he heard, HE pointed out. I didn't point out a thing. He was spot on correct, though. FWIW.

Tom

Afternoon Tom
    Actually we posted at the exact same time
    I hadn’t read your post when I posted
    I was referring in general
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Interesting comment about the women thing.

Although I haven’t really sat my wife down for a real listening session (for fear of questions)… I have had her in my stereo hideout and she looks at me like I have three heads
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Many people with no HiFi experience have heard my systems and they all walk away "hearing the difference". Enough of a difference that they are going to go out and start putting together systems of their own?

Almost always, no.

Cost is a very real barrier for a lot of people.

I also think beyond cost, people are intimidated by the sheer amount of choices and honestly, bull crap in the industry.

It's funny, because I usually have the exact same experience when it comes to cycling.

Which is why I absolutely hate it when people with no intention to really commit to audio or cycling ask me what they should buy, especially when they preface it with some insanely low budget.

At this point, I usually tell them I'm not much help with those products and tell them that I hope they enjoy whatever they decide on.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options

… I have had her in my stereo hideout and she looks at me like I have three heads
    So many snarky comments I could make just for the laugh, but I think I will let this one pass. B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,975
    Options
    "The biggest compliment I can say I have ever had wasn't even spoken. It is the looks on people's faces when a selection starts. Those looks are priceless and that says it all to me. The eyes popping wide open, much like an old cartoon, the jaw drop and deer in the headlight look is a dead giveaway at telling me what they are wanting to say."

You just described my wife and I when we first connected the new to us SDA 2B speakers. We then realized what I had suspected all along in that, "I bet this system could sound a whole lot better than it does".

That was the beginning of our audio rabbit hole.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options

We're not tricking ourselves, I've just found that so many people don't care that much. In the same way I don't care to own a six figure sports car or luxury vehicle. I can drive a higher end car, and really appreciate it. But that doesn't inspire me to save for one, I'd rather spend that money on the stereo. Others would rather spend that money on vacations or cars. It's as simple as that.

But I can tell you this, of the range of reactions I see people have when they hear real stereo for the first time - I can always tell who is going to be thinking about it later. Who it's going to haunt. And it's always the people that can't help but laugh when something really impressive comes on. That's been consistent. If someone's first reaction to a song is a quick laugh, you know you just blew their mind.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    The only friend I have in the area where I live who really likes music is my neighbor across the street. He has a modest setup which isn't really setup for serious listening. However both him and his wife like listening to music, they have speaker all through their house. I did convince him to join the forum and get some Polk L100 speakers for his living room when Polk offered the large discount several years ago to forum members.

We had two couples over a few night ago and one of the men started looking at my system closely which was a first for him since he had been over numerous times before. I don't know if he was just being nice knowing I like to listen to music or really interested in it. Probably the former. He did comment that it sounded really good.

I think a lot of the women don't like stereo equipment in their living room so some of the men just say why try and get into a fight over it. I have a very good friend and he commented one time that his wife would never allow him to put speakers like mine in his main room. I felt like telling him you only live once, but didn't as I didn't want him to mention what I said to his wife as we travel a lot with them on vacations and didn't want to cause any fiction between her and myself.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I no longer try to demo the stereo to folks unless they request it, which is rare. I believe that most people like to have music on as opposed to sitting and listening to it. Then there are the trained musicians, whose brains can apparently fill in the blanks (in sound quality) with ease. They can be happy listening to a tinny single speaker as long as the performance or conductor meets their approval.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    Options
    I gave up demoing my system to family, friends, and neighbors and now purposely avoid it. Having done it many times I have concluded that probably 99% of the population only correlates "good sound" to how loud and how much base a system can produce. The most satisfying system I ever had according to my non-audiophile people was when I had Polk RTi150 speakers driven by bridged NAD amps using a cheap NAD CD player. I could shake the house and people were always in awe. Now, ARC, Mcintosh, T+A, Dynaudio - meh
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited January 9
    Options
    In my experience, unless the person is a fellow audiofool, they don't even come close to appreciating the dynamic range, imaging, and other nuances. My ex-wife loves music, but she didn't care if it was coming from my 2-ch system, the TV setup, or her cell phone speaker (cringe!). Various friends over the years have listened, none really were wowed, except when the late George Daniel visited me one time. It wasn't even a full blown demo because he was buying a piece of older gear I had, but it was playing in the background for some time. He was impressed enough to mention it on the forum in a random post some time later. I have tried to get my kids to share in the enjoyment...nope...they would rather have AirPods and Spotify.

I guess it really makes you appreciate when we can share the passion at gatherings of like minded fools. Not enough of those lately, at least around my area.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Many people with no HiFi experience have heard my systems and they all walk away "hearing the difference". Enough of a difference that they are going to go out and start putting together systems of their own?

Almost always, no.

Cost is a very real barrier for a lot of people.

I also think beyond cost, people are intimidated by the sheer amount of choices and honestly, bull crap in the industry.

It's funny, because I usually have the exact same experience when it comes to cycling.

Which is why I absolutely hate it when people with no intention to really commit to audio or cycling ask me what they should buy, especially when they preface it with some insanely low budget.

At this point, I usually tell them I'm not much help with those products and tell them that I hope they enjoy whatever they decide on.

To your point:

I have a friend whom for several years heard my various set-ups, was always very engaged, but he is very frugal, and I would offer to take him to local audio shops so he could hear other gear and help him get everything set-up.

Last year he bought a 4-family flat and lives in one of the apartments. He had a very strict budget (approx. $500).

He wanted 50/50 movies and music capability, and simplicity, and nothing too big, and decent overall appearance. A pretty tall order.

I helped him get a Yamaha RX-V775BT receiver (approx $250) on ebay and sold him my faux maple Acoustic Energy Threes (same price) and threw in a 10” Axiom Audio sub.

The speakers matched nicely with his ‘60s “modern” aesthetic (not sure that last phrase makes sense :p ). Sub was hidden behind his tv stand in a corner (thankfully, his living room is very open so the corner-loading could stretch its legs, so to speak) and we calibrated it to blend nicely with his speakers.

All said and done, once everything was in its place and we turned on some Fleetwood Mac, he had a grin from ear to ear, and you could tell the sense of pride he had with his first hi-fi set-up. He literally never had a stereo his entire life, and is in his mid-30s.

Despite all of this, I don’t think he will ever pursue anything more than this, even though he knows there’s much more to be had. He just has other priorities I guess. 🤷🏼

Strangely, I admire his contentment. Lol
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    edited January 13
    Options
    ^^^Thanks for sharing that. I think that frugality is a bigger barrier than a lack of money for many more people than we realize.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I'm not going to get to deep into my experience. After 2 hours of great music after my 2.3tls were all broke in from the complete restoration of crossovers, my buddy looks me square in the eyes and says " I have some mp3's I'd love to hear on your system"
    It was then I knew I wasted 2hrs of my time.....

Time to go pal....
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm not going to get to deep into my experience. After 2 hours of great music after my 2.3tls were all broke in from the complete restoration of crossovers, my buddy looks me square in the eyes and says " I have some mp3's I'd love to hear on your system"
    It was then I knew I wasted 2hrs of my time.....

Time to go pal....

I had another friend whom didn’t think there would be an audible difference between mp3 and CD. I remedied him of that notion in less than 5 minutes.

Nothing like an A/B comparison.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    I no longer try to demo the stereo to folks unless they request it, which is rare. I believe that most people like to have music on as opposed to sitting and listening to it. Then there are the trained musicians, whose brains can apparently fill in the blanks (in sound quality) with ease. They can be happy listening to a tinny single speaker as long as the performance or conductor meets their approval.

My father was an orchestra/choral teacher who also played in the Charlotte symphony and all the local jazz clubs. It was his life. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of music and made sure all of his kids had musical training. Interestingly, he wasn't all that interested in listening to recorded music. If he was watching PBS and someone like Wynton Marsalis etc. was on for a performance he would watch and appreciate, but he never went out of his way to seek out fine audio. I came to the conclusion that performance was what he was driven to do. I got all the musical training, but I need my good audio; my wife is right there with me and would agree to me spending way more than I have.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    my wife is right there with me and would agree to me spending way more than I have.
    Good women like that are not as plentiful as they should be.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    ^^^^
    She likes to crank her Bluegrass!
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses