Demoing your system to someone new to stereo

2»

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,348
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    ^^^^
    She likes to crank her Bluegrass!

A lot of Bluegrass is recorded very well.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 533
    I appreciate any music that has a large improvisational component, and my blue ridge born, Tarheel wife has expanded my appreciation of it. I especially like the "Newgrass" stuff that pulls elements from other genres of music. Not to mention the musicianship of some of those folks - just incredible. And yes, some of it is very well recorded.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,867
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    My father was an orchestra/choral teacher who also played in the Charlotte symphony and all the local jazz clubs.

You still live in the area?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jazzhead
    Tom. I will PM you.

We moved to N. Idaho years ago. My wife was born in Asheville, I was from Charlotte, near where you and apparently several Polkies live. We met at NCSU while in school, lived near Raleigh in Holly Springs for a while (before the development explosion), and later moved out here for work.
  • treitz3
    Idgit. (me)

I was kind of hoping you could join in on the Carolina group. Oh well. If you are ever out this way visiting family, hit me up. Maybe we could GTG and listen to some of the local systems.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jazzhead
    Tom, I PM'ed you and would love to hear your (and others) rig(s) when I get back that way. I could learn a thing or two. You folks would get me wanting tubes again, lol.
  • treitz3
    I'd like to take this moment (my apologies for the off topic posts) but I would like to point out just how small this world can be.

While I have never personally met Jazzman? I worked at the same joint and sat directly across from his brother for probably close to a decade. I have also met up with his father....the same one that was discussed and quoted in Jazzman's post here >>> https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2752275/#Comment_2752275 and (I believe) maybe even stepped into the house he lived at one point in his life.....possibly even grew up in!

This should serve as a reminder to all that you never know who you are speaking to on the other end of the screen.

Tom
  • Nex
    Nex Posts: 36
    I guess it all depends on what they listen to. I won't foul my system on the likes of Taylor Swift etc. Garbage in garbage out.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 502
    you describe my wife and daughter. They're surrounded by all these glorious systems yet still listen on iPhone, iPad, or TV speakers
    • Living Room Music-2.1 Polk Legend L800 | SVS SB1000Pro | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Marantz HD-CD1 | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Pro USB to DAC
    • Home Theater-9.7.6/15.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x6], Height LSiM703 [x6], HSU ULS-15Mk2x4, VTF-15HMk2x2, VTF-TN1 | Trinnov Altitude 16+4 (2024) | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Martin Logan MP500x2 | Topping DX7s, E50 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo Z9X | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.1 B&W Formation Duo and Bass
    • Orphans Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX | DSW microPRO3000x2 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz AV8805A
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | SMSL DO100 Pro 2 | Pass ACA v1.6 Monoblocks
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,146
    edited January 20
    I had a couple friends over tonight, and one of the guys was totally new to hifi. I came up with a new test that worked really well.

I pulled out my normal BT speaker, a JBL Charge 3. I feel like this is pretty representative of what most people born after 1990 are used to. I placed the BT on the amp which puts it nearly centered in the room and near ear height, an advantage to how these speakers are normally used. Turned the BT all the way up, which was putting out around 87db peaks out in the room. I set the stereo to approximately the same volume. If anything the stereo was a little lower.

Using Tidal connect I was able to quickly swap from BT to the big system. This created a true A/B test, and technically even a blind A/B because he couldn’t see me pushing the switch. I used a decent recording we were both familiar with: https://tidal.com/track/136777454

The difference was obviously huge, but it’s always fun when someone that’s totally unfamiliar with audiophile terms starts using review type wording to describe the experience. On the first switch he said the BT speaker felt “hollow and tinny.” I was really surprised he used the word tinny. Second pass he said something like “it was so flat. The big system is coming from the whole room, it’s so immersive!”

I think starting from a semi normal baseline really helped him grasp the jump in sound. Overall very fun night, and I know it’s going to haunt him for awhile 🙂
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,592
    Nex wrote: »
    I guess it all depends on what they listen to. I won't foul my system on the likes of Taylor Swift etc. Garbage in garbage out.

Taylor Swift music is actually a gem compared to a lot of the crap pop music out there. I have most of her last 10 years of music in high rez (for my daughter😉) and it is well produced.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 756
    I don't listen to Taylor Swift's music, but there is no denying that she is talented and established an incredibly successful musical career. Honestly, when I go back and listen to the music that I loved as a teenager, I realize now that much of it is trash, but it got me listening and led me to where I am now.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,817
    Keep talking about her and I'm gonna mess up that Snake River AMP Series power cable with some Taylor Swift later today!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,500
    That is definitrly going to throw off the electrons
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Not to mention going blind.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,119
    msg wrote: »
    Not to mention going blind.
    That only happens if you watch her videos, and...ya know.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,926
    edited January 22
    Overall very fun night, and I know it’s going to haunt him for awhile 🙂

And what did his face look like when you told him the price difference between the BT speaker and your total system cost?
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,146
    Clipdat wrote: »

And what did his face look like when you told him the price difference between the BT speaker and your total system cost?

I just helped him set up a UTurn with some Edifier speakers at his house, which was a huge step up from their suitcase Crosley. He knew enough to know that he didn't want to ask what the big stereo might cost, lol.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Clipdat wrote: »

I just helped him set up a UTurn with some Edifier speakers at his house, which was a huge step up from their suitcase Crosley. He knew enough to know that he didn't want to ask what the big stereo might cost, lol.

Sometimes people need to be incrementalized into the hobby. 😬
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,641
    edited January 22

My daughter just got her first little setup, very similar to that setup. I set her up with a pair of Audioengine HD4's and a Pro-Ject Debut TT.

She has been warned, if she raids MY vinyl, we are going to have serious problems.

She can let me know if she wants to hear one of my albums anytime, and we will spin it together.

She can learn how careful she needs to be with vinyl on her own albums! :D