Options

Answers

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,209
    edited January 3
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Probably they put a 6600 in instead of a 6500 which is wrong.

The Monitor 10 came with the MW6501 driver at one time. The MW6600 is a very good replacement driver for the MW6501. In fact many Polk speakers that came with the MW6600 then came with a MW6501 with no XO changes. My SDA 1 signatures came from the factory with both the MW6600 and the MW6501. The MW6600 was the only driver used in both the non-SDA and SDA speakers at the time.

The date on Lalala's MW6500 is 6/18/79. I doubt that Polk warranty service would've put that into a speaker that was from 1984, which is the date (5/30/84) on the MW6600X. Most likely these speakers were manufactured mid 1979. Maybe his(?) relative just squeaked by on the 5 year warranty.

The earliest schematic we have is from 1984 and it shows the MW6501, either way Polk covered stuff for much longer than many other companies. What we know for certain is the the M10 used MW6500, 6501 and 6503. We also know for certain that the MW6600/MW6501 was used in the RTA12, another side by side driver speaker.

And I happen to have a MW6500 (with hand penned in 0 at the end on paper label) dated 9/10/1999 that was made in the Tijuana Mexico plant, which is WAY after they were ever shipped in any speakers, like 15 years after. It didn't match the sound signature of the earlier ones I have, unfortunately.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,744
    Options
    May have been a white-van knock-off? :D
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,650
    Options
    In 2011 there were still drivers being made in Mexico. I'd be willing to bet someone measured the driver and thought it was "close enough" :D:D:D
  • xschop
    Options
    ...And they measured a well worn out driver at that. B)
  • Lalala
    Lalala Posts: 20
    Options
    I can’t know if my relative for sure had it serviced by Polk warranty rather than someone else, it’s possible they’re not remembering correctly. I do think they would have purchased these speakers between 1979-81 (and I’m guessing 79 based on the date of the 6500 driver) and I do know they’re the type of person to prefer repairs by the company itself and who uses warranties if necessary.

So I guess the big question I have now is what to replace these with?
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Lalala wrote: »
    I can’t know if my relative for sure had it serviced by Polk warranty rather than someone else, it’s possible they’re not remembering correctly. I do think they would have purchased these speakers between 1979-81 (and I’m guessing 79 based on the date of the 6500 driver) and I do know they’re the type of person to prefer repairs by the company itself and who uses warranties if necessary.

So I guess the big question I have now is what to replace these with?

Did you find out what the story was with the loose wires?

After that, I'd make sure that the drivers in the good speaker are MW6500s and their dates, and you could also confirm the date on the crossover because back then they were good about putting the dates on everything.

If they are MW6500s then you definitely should get MW6500s as replacements, but after you hook up the wiring that may be disconnected. Flipping drivers with rubbing voice coils 180deg might work for a little while if the problem was sagging suspensions, but I'd want to get the replacements anyways, while they are available on eBay (if they still are).
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,879
    Options
    Polk did not fix those drivers, just replaced them and when they shipped out a replacement driver under warranty the label would indicate that it was a warranty replacement. Therefore, Polk had nothing to do with replacing any of those drivers.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Lalala
    Options

After that, I'd make sure that the drivers in the good speaker are MW6500s and their dates, and you could also confirm the date on the crossover because back then they were good about putting the dates on everything.

If they are MW6500s then you definitely should get MW6500s as replacements, but after you hook up the wiring that may be disconnected. Flipping drivers with rubbing voice coils 180deg might work for a little while if the problem was sagging suspensions, but I'd want to get the replacements anyways, while they are available on eBay (if they still are).

I opened them on the good speaker which I believe does give me answers about the wires. But leads to more questions. Both of them are unlabeled. Like no Polk label with info on the back, just bare metal. Other than the labels they look the same, have the red dot etc. But this leans much more to the idea that Polk didn’t do the replacements. I’m not sure how to determine what they are. And because I wanted to leave the wiring intact I can’t view it as well.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Polk did not fix those drivers, just replaced them and when they shipped out a replacement driver under warranty the label would indicate that it was a warranty replacement. Therefore, Polk had nothing to do with replacing any of those drivers.

yeah that seems likely as the ones in the good speaker are not labeled, so I don’t know what they are.

(On a side note I’ve had these almost 20 years now and until now have not had issues with the speakers, the sound quality has always been excellent)

But now I still don’t know what I should try to get.

Any chance Polk can look up by serial number and tell me which one they should have had originally?

• Gardenstater
    edited January 3
    Options

I opened them on the good speaker which I believe does give me answers about the wires. But leads to more questions. Both of them are unlabeled. Like no Polk label with info on the back, just bare metal. Other than the labels they look the same, have the red dot etc. But this leans much more to the idea that Polk didn’t do the replacements. I’m not sure how to determine what they are. And because I wanted to leave the wiring intact I can’t view it as well.

yeah that seems likely as the ones in the good speaker are not labeled, so I don’t know what they are.

(On a side note I’ve had these almost 20 years now and until now have not had issues with the speakers, the sound quality has always been excellent)

Any chance Polk can look up by serial number and tell me which one they should have had originally?

Is it possible the labels fell off and are in the bottom of the cabinet? Do the baskets resemble the MW6500 in the other speaker, and have a silvery metal plating? The MW6500 driver was the only one that had a silver basket.

Check the crossover for a date. That will help to clear up what drivers should be in these. Also, a picture of the speakers would help. Do they have fuses on the back of the speaker? Are the tweeters the Peerless or the SL1000?
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Options

Were you the guy that slapped stickers on MW's?
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,294
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

Were you the guy that slapped stickers on MW's?

I have had many warranty drivers replaced when I bought my sda's and never had to wait for one to be fixed, I was always handed a new one at the dealer, and they all had warranty stamped on them.
  • F1nut
    edited January 3
    Options

Sorry, no chance.

As Pitdogg2 stated, the MW6600 and the MW6501 are interchangeable, so either is fine.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    edited January 3
    Options
    Look what I have..
    xddobj6vv7zt.jpeg
    ac7w4tl8rfnl.jpeg
    bd2kqi6xurb1.jpeg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    5g7ndrxipt1r.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Lalala
    edited January 3
    Options
    If they are MW6500s then you definitely should get MW6500s as replacements, but after you hook up the wiring that may be disconnected. Flipping drivers with rubbing voice coils 180deg might work for a little while if the problem was sagging suspensions, but I'd want to get the

Is it possible the labels fell off and are in the bottom of the cabinet? Do the baskets resemble the MW6500 in the other speaker, and have a silvery metal plating? The MW6500 driver was the only one that had a silver basket.

Check the crossover for a date. That will help to clear up what drivers should be in these. Also, a picture of the speakers would help. Do they have fuses on the back of the speaker? Are the tweeters the Peerless or the SL1000?

Silvery metal, good call on the labels fell off, they were in the bottom and are MW6500, so I guess that’s my answer what to look for. There is a space for a fuse on each, there were not any when they were given to me and I never put any. Should I get fuses? Attached are photos.
    photos of speakers, labels

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Well, I guess my gift won’t work..
  • F1nut
    Options
    Lalala, you can post photos from your phone directly to the forum. In fact, much preferred.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Ha ha wait just a minute. Are you saying there are no fuses in the fuseholders or just that you never replaced them? The tweeters wouldn't work without fuses so you must have fuses lol.

So, with 3 MW6500s (what's the dates on the labels?) it seems most likely that the speakers shipped with 4 MW6500s. If the dates are 1979 like the one you showed a photo of, then the original tweeters have been replaced with those SL1000, when the Peerless no longer was made after sometime in 1983.

You better jump on those 2 MW6500 on eBay if they are still available.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    The fuses could have been bypassed on the inside, and we have yet to see the crossovers..
  • Lalala
    Options

Good call on the labels fell in cabinet. They’re silvery and yes MW6500. So I guess that’s my answer. There is a place for fuses, there weren’t any when these were given to me and I never got any. Should I get fuses? I think the tweeters look like SL1000s.

speakers, labels

• xschop
    Options
    bjmou8dhe2ui.jpeg
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    You want the MW6500, and yes the tweeters are 1000’s
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 3
    Options
    7bz8223xec3a.png

11rnp5f8p1vd.png

George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    bjmou8dhe2ui.jpeg

LOL!!! That was funny…
  • Lalala
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    The fuses could have been bypassed on the inside, and we have yet to see the crossovers..

images of crossovers. First is the bad speaker
    qqvneth8mzpv.jpeg
    8cei571eh98b.jpeg

• F1nut
    edited January 3
    Options
    Those black caps with red ends are Temples, which sound horrible, are way past their lifespan and known to basically blow their wad. I see crossover upgrades in your very near future.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    edited January 3
    Options
    That's some pretty good Polk Assembler Scribble there. 6/26/79? Pretty sure that puts it at pre MW6600X days, so MW6500s definitely. You'd have to peek underneath the PCB to be able to tell if somebody bypassed the fuseholders.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Lalala
    Options
    Those black caps with red ends are Temples, which sound horrible, are way past their lifespan and known to basically blow their wad. I see crossover upgrades in your very near future.

Is this something I buy or do I keep these and replace parts?

I’m guessing living in apartments and not using the speakers at a high volume has possibly extended the lifespan of some of the parts

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Might want to revert to Peerless tweeters as well, since most people seem to say it is superior to the SL1000. Are both tweeters replaced with the SL1000?
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS