Are Polk Signature Elite ES60 good enough for critical listening of music ?

Options
I started on the hi-fi trip a few months ago, and I've tried many pairs of second-hand speakers in search for the "right ones". I currently have a pair of older JBL L5 floorstanders powered by an NAD C399 (180 WPC) and a pair of Axiom M60 V2 towers powered by an NAD C316BEE (40 WPC) and I like both setups for hearing the most from my CDs. I like classic rock, r & b, jazz, classical, pop.

But I've always wanted to try some Polk speakers. I almost pulled the trigger when the ES20 bookshelfs were $299 on Amazon a while back. But I have this nagging feeling that I should try the ES60 towers with multiple drivers instead. The ES60 are currently on sale for $459 and with the 10% discount for signing up here that makes them $818 /pair with free shipping. Would I be disappointed with the ES60 towers for two-channel stereo music only ? Clarity, definition, nice highs that won't give me a headache when listening for extended periods, good mids, and adequate and tight bass are more important to me than shaking the windows. Although I do still enjoy cranking it up for short periods of a
song. Thanks for any insight.

Answers

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Good listening....yes. Critical??...
    They are a nice speaker that you can enjoy without fatigue and well rounded for all genre's. Really can't beat the value.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    The Signature line straddles the line between casual home theater and critical music listening. They're excellent speakers for what they are.

For critical listening to stereo music, the R200 Anniversary Edition can be bought now for $799. That's close to the best Polk has ever made for detail and accuracy in a speaker. The tweeter and mid-woofer driver are far better than what goes into the Signature line and the crossover is enhanced with better component parts.

The only issue someone might have with them is trying to drive them with too little power or source gear that's too bright sounding. Those speakers will reveal everything in the equipment chain and on the recording for what it is. To me that is the definition of critical stereo listening.

Get 'em while they last... :)

https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/product/home-speakers/bookshelf/reserve-r200ae/300653.html

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    Options
    Critical...not really. Get the R200 AE instead.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• redsled
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Seriously considering a pair of the R200 AE
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,478
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, as well.

Additionally, I'll offer that I've found that I generally prefer large-ish bookshelf speakers, like the R200, with a sub instead of large floorstander speakers. This is mostly due to having an unusually shaped listening space with my listening position not optimal.

I found the R200 to be a pleasing speaker for 2ch in a second setup where they had a lot of room around them. If too close to the front wall, they can sound boomy and overwhelming, loaded, congested bass.
    I disabled signatures.
  • redsled
    Options
    Thanks everyone. After years of admiring Polk speakers from afar, I have ordered my first pair; the R200 AE. Do you folks think they will sound best with an old Pioneer SX-680 @ 35 WPC or a newer NAD C316BEE @ 40 WPC ? Thanks.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I'd like to say the vintage Pioneer (over 40yo), but if it hasn't been serviced and recapped, I'd lean towards the NAD (13yo).

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • redsled
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I'd like to say the vintage Pioneer (over 40yo), but if it hasn't been serviced and recapped, I'd lean towards the NAD (13yo).

Thank you I'll try the NAD first.