sda-srs crossover mod

Options
13»

Answers

• Alasichuk
    Options
    You guys mentioned that I should have my caps etc refreshed. Does anyone do this for people? I'd get that done .
  • Astrl55
    Astrl55 Posts: 55
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Contact this site's own westmassguy
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Options
    You could probably achieve what you want by an external 2 way DSP crossover and change the internal wiring accordingly to disconnect the original crossover. The crossover point is around 2000 hz. Done correctly would probably result in a pretty good loudspeaker. But it won’t be a Polk SDA speaker anymore. There’s more to the crossover than the SDA crosstalk elimination. If you got one of the larger speakers the tweeter part of the crossover is quite complicated and I would not tinker with it. Even if the speakers are old they’re very well engineered even by today’s standards. What you refer to as crosstalk is exactly the opposite since it’s out of phase and thus eliminates (lowers) crosstalk for better stereo imaging. Just as your noise cancelling headphones eliminate noise by playing the surrounding noise out of phase.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Options
    Alasichuk wrote: »
    You guys mentioned that I should have my caps etc refreshed. Does anyone do this for people? I'd get that done .

It’s probably easiest to find a guitar amp repair man to change the caps for you. Just make sure he doesn’t use guitar amp caps! I’ve had good spell with ClarityCap ESA and CSA caps in my speakers. Avoid the cheapest caps and most will perform good.

SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    What about Polystyrene caps ?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    Alasichuk wrote: »
    What about Polystyrene caps ?

Crossover caps.
    https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk