Subwoofer for Monitor 4s powered by Sonos Amp?

Options
Hanshananigan
Hanshananigan Posts: 4
edited December 2023 in Vintage Speakers
Good day, I enjoy the sound of my Monitor 4s (I think with peerless tweeters) and would like to use them in my Sonos system. The Amp has a line out for a powered sub, which I thought would be helpful for producing the low end the Monitor 4s can't reach.

I'd love some advice about what to look for in terms of sufficient maximum output, EQ setting, and any other considerations. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I would buy a used Amp ($100) and new subwoofer (<$200). The alternative is to purchase a new Sonos 5 or Era 300 ($4-500) and sell or mothball the Monitor 4s.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    I had to look up what those Sonos things are, which I discovered are Bose like lifestyle products.

You won't find a new sub under $200 that is worth buying and since it appears you prefer lifestyle products a new Sonos 5 or Era 300 is probably your best bet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Find a Polk LF-14 and do the M4's up right.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Audio Oct. 1982. They don't have any freq. response for the LF14 though :( Lower end of the M4 with the Peerless was only 55 Hz so pretty bass shy.

ml9ybyledgvv.jpg

Assuming it was still the same, in Audio Oct. 1984, they give LF14 freq. response as 32 - 150Hz +/- 2dB. Not totally what I'd want from a subwoofer but respectable compared to the 4A lower end of 3dB down at 40Hz.

cl3y1cccr5mx.jpg

Audio Aug. 1980

nrh6vt1cycke.jpg

Stereo Review Jun 1980 they say -3dB point is 25 Hz. Now that is subwoofer territory.

tou610ca96my.jpg

Stereo Review Jun 1982 shows the Polk 4/14 System. This is the one I was looking for.

ap2hdlqqanuy.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    The Polk LF-14 do not come up often and right now from what I see there are none for sale anywhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    That'd be a sweet vintage combo to make you want to put the Sonos on Craigslist.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I'm sure it would put a Monitor 7B system to shame, in the imaging and the bass departments.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Hanshananigan
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I had to look up what those Sonos things are, which I discovered are Bose like lifestyle products.

You won't find a new sub under $200 that is worth buying and since it appears you prefer lifestyle products a new Sonos 5 or Era 300 is probably your best bet.

Ok, thanks.
  • Hanshananigan
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Find a Polk LF-14 and do the M4's up right.

I suppose I could drop another... what, $100 for a subwoofer amp to drive the passive LF-14. If I could find an LF-14 (and the space for it!).
  • xschop
    Options
    In that case, you could also easily find a Polk RM1000 subwoofer. I just Refurb'd one and tried with 3 different sets of bookshelves. Fills in great with all of them. I'll be on the lookout for another one honestly.

And if you feel like space is really an issue, dump the Sonos clutter altogether....

ngxhd4s90hc0.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Does the Sonos have RCA preouts?

Are you in Colorado?

If yes to both I have a Sunfire XTATM265 that is currently only serving duty as a foot rest that I don't need. Original MSRP was something like $1,000 - 1500 range I can't remember exactly, it's not garb'aage.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Hanshananigan
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Does the Sonos have RCA preouts?

Are you in Colorado?

If yes to both I have a Sunfire XTATM265 that is currently only serving duty as a foot rest that I don't need. Original MSRP was something like $1,000 - 1500 range I can't remember exactly, it's not garb'aage.

Hey, thanks for your response. I'm far from Colorado unfortunately. The Sonos Amp has one RCA out plug.