SDA SRS

Options
Have had these speakers in the family since new and will keep them forever...
The tweeters in my left channel are out. I replaced one to test and still out. If this is the crossover is that repairable or do I need to look for one. Is there anything else I should be looking at and testing? I am handy but not an electrical engineer! Thanks

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In all likelihood the polyswitch has failed. The polyswitch is a thermal reset device, a fuse if you will. Every time it is tripped it becomes more sensitive and will eventually fail completely.

You can replace it with another or better yet install a .5 ohm 10 or 12 watt Mills resistor.

It's the little blue device in this pic, but may be mustard colored.
    wahlbqnq0p21.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• ange5
    ange5 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you this is helpful. To add some questions....
    If I were to replace the crossover or crossovers
    Would you do both?
    I found sources that sell rebuilt crossovers or would you source an electronics shop like are suggested on the Polk site to rebuild mine?
    Are there preferred sources out there for rebuilt?

Thank you
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,609
    Options
    Your best bet is to buy new caps and resistors and populate the board you have. Trusted caps are Sonicap and Clarity, Clarity has 3 price lines. Resistors are Vishay-Mills, Mundorf and Jantzen, move up in wattage from 5 watt to 10-12 watt resistors. Buying rebuilt is more likely a crapshoot as to quality of components. The polypropylene caps will be physically larger, try to stay in the 200v range, so fitting them on the board will be a challange but it is possible.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    When upgrading the crossovers you must do both.
    I found sources that sell rebuilt crossovers

Post links to those please.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk