Trying something new - Snake River Audio

Options

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    Just ran across this in the latest "The Absolute Sound." 23% off is a chunk of change on these cables.

2q8wsk5a5xke.png
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    Jonny has not confirmed what room the cables will be featured in yet but he will be down in the marketplace. If you look for the Triangle Art room? Snake River cables will be in that same room.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to make a correction. I mis-spoke earlier in my review of Snake River Cables. They do not offer a Copperhead. AQ does. What I meant to say is "Cottonmouth". My bad on that one.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    This just in from Jonny -
    I have Booth #34 down in the marketplace. Then the cables will be live up in room #741

If you have a chance to check them out, you can hear some of the things I have spoken about in my review. I would say "all" but that will be a different system than mine. Anyhoo, as I was chatting with Jonny this morning via text, I mentioned that I had just gotten done with listening to, "Just a Little Lovin'" by Shelby Lynne.

He hits me right back with this - He actually sponsored her a few years back at Axpona! How freakin' cool is that?

jeef1zokf3nx.png

Here is a mini review of my observations of just this one song, whilst listening to it this morning...

Right out if the gate, the sound pressure hits you with the first strike of the kick drum, right after a soft but wonderful strike on a cymbal that is tonally correct and offers a very realistic natural roll off.

Shelby is dead, smack in the center of the speakers. You can clearly tell that she is out in front of the instruments playing around her. It is also easy to tell the size of the studio room where the recording was made, because of the echoes of the individual instruments bouncing off of the walls.

The bass guitar used to sound a little overwhelming and overloaded the room rather quickly. Not only that but it masked some of the subtleties due to the overponderance. No more. Once the custom cable came in and I plugged it into the Canary pre? It was now sharp, very textured and no more overponderance within the room.....which brought out much more to the music.

This would be a great song to test just how black the background is. All you hear is the music. If they play this at the event? You will know exactly what I am talking about. Like I said, you don't know just how black it really is, until you don't hear it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rceagan
    Options
    I like Shelby and her younger sister. Tough life sometimes makes great songwriters. Still, wouldn’t it be great to hear Dusty sing that song with today’s technology?
  • treitz3
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't even know she existed until I stumbled across her listening to "My Weekly Q", while out mowing the lawn. I really don't know much about her, her history or her Dad. That particular song is recorded very well and I really dig the tune too. A perfect scenario for enjoyment.

BTW, I forgot to mention in my review how many Snake River Cables I currently have in my rig that offers me the sound I am able to achieve for that exhaustive review. My reviews, as the cables kept getting introduced into the rig are earlier on within this thread.

4 PC's and 2 IC's. I will eventually have a full loom but my wallet laughs at that idea at the moment.....and I would like to stay married.

The four PC's are going to the following;
    Lumin UX1 streamer - Signature Hybrid
    Canary C800MKII pre - Custom mix Signature Hybrid
    Richard Grey Pro400 PS (feeds all of the streaming rig components) - Cottonmouth
    Musical Fidelity KW-750 PS - Signature Hybrid

The two IC's are in between the ANK 5.1Pro DAC and the Canary pre, via an IsoMax Ci-2RR Isolation Transformer - Cottonmouth and Signature Hybrid

With each additional Snake River cable I introduce, the system's performance does things that are not subtle. The least amount of impact was in the RG power supply and the most amount of impact are shared between the two IC's and all of the other PC locations. All of these locations were equally as impactful for what the cables changed in the reproductive effort.

I did try the Signature Hybrid in the ANK DAC and while I was impressed, it was when I placed that one into the Lumin UX1 that I knew, that was the spot! So, between those two locations, the PC had more impact on the source versus the DAC. Quite a bit more. FWIW.

Tom
  • rceagan
    Options
    If I wanted to get my feet wet with a single cable, which would you recommend for starters?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    the usb was IMHO comparable to WireWorld Platinum 7 . . . I just picked up a AES XLR to GOOD affect
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    rceagan wrote: »
    If I wanted to get my feet wet with a single cable, which would you recommend for starters?

I would start with the foundation. A Signature Series Hybrid PC for either your source or pre.

Tom

• bcwsrt
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    This just in from Jonny -
    I have Booth #34 down in the marketplace. Then the cables will be live up in room #741

If you have a chance to check them out, you can hear some of the things I have spoken about in my review. I would say "all" but that will be a different system than mine. Anyhoo, as I was chatting with Jonny this morning via text, I mentioned that I had just gotten done with listening to, "Just a Little Lovin'" by Shelby Lynne.

He hits me right back with this - He actually sponsored her a few years back at Axpona! How freakin' cool is that?

jeef1zokf3nx.png

Here is a mini review of my observations of just this one song, whilst listening to it this morning...

Right out if the gate, the sound pressure hits you with the first strike of the kick drum, right after a soft but wonderful strike on a cymbal that is tonally correct and offers a very realistic natural roll off.

Shelby is dead, smack in the center of the speakers. You can clearly tell that she is out in front of the instruments playing around her. It is also easy to tell the size of the studio room where the recording was made, because of the echoes of the individual instruments bouncing off of the walls.

The bass guitar used to sound a little overwhelming and overloaded the room rather quickly. Not only that but it masked some of the subtleties due to the overponderance. No more. Once the custom cable came in and I plugged it into the Canary pre? It was now sharp, very textured and no more overponderance within the room.....which brought out much more to the music.

This would be a great song to test just how black the background is. All you hear is the music. If they play this at the event? You will know exactly what I am talking about. Like I said, you don't know just how black it really is, until you don't hear it.

Tom

I don't have a rig anywhere near what yours is, Tom, but that is a remarkable recording! Agree with all the bolded observations. I'm not sure I'm a fan of hers yet, but that was sure an enjoyable listen!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Shelby Lynne and her younger sister Allison Moorer rock. I recommend auditioning all their LPs
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    So, as time has marched on with the cables...

I must comment that the height information that comes across is incredible. Much like the Dido song I commented on earlier?

Much more height information is becoming obvious. The ability of the system to throw down sounds to keep things low for a stint, then throw them up to the listening position and beyond adds to part of the 3D realism that I refer too.

I noticed this before but did not comment. As the power cables have burned in and become "really" accustomed to the rig? This just keeps getting better and better. It's at the point now to where I have to comment on my observations.

From the floor to the ceiling? The sounds that are reproduced are nothing short of what I never thought possible from stereo. What a wonderful thing to experience!!!!!!!

I can describe this all night long but it would make no difference (I would expect). You just need to experience it for yourself. Words cannot describe the sheer joy it is to listen now. They simply can't.

That said, I do have some, "insider information" that I will post shortly that will not land me in jail for offering.

If you are planning on attending the Capitol Area Audio Fest? I have some good news.

Stay tuned to a post near you. Peace out.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    Options
    new signal/Digital cables, perhaps?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Eh, not that. They already have that. The Boomslang (something I have not heard yet) offers some apparent good sound.

Since I haven't heard it yet? I cannot comment.

I am knee deep into listening at the moment (thanks @nooshinjohn) for reminding me that work bites and audio rocks. He reminded me on our conversation that I hadn't had the time to listen since last weekend.

Well, I canceled all work for tonight and I am listening again. TBT, great suggestion. Music does calm the savage beast...

Tom
  • GlennDog
    Options
    "treitz3 wrote: »
    He reminded me on our conversation that I hadn't had the time to listen since last weekend

lions, tigers and bears OH MY . . . my rig gets fired up just about every day . . . . Fire that Shizzle UP
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    fwiw, financial H3LL is reigning on me . . .
    the Snake River USB is very competitive with the WW7 Platinum usb, IMHO.
    My only regret is that I have no way to A-B the cables

their AES XLR is eeking out extra audio blissful notes . . . I'd recommend a listen. This is the SRA I went with B)

I know you got Jonny's #
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Holy.....words that are banned from this forum.

I just listened to Tool's, "Chocolate Chip Trip"

Within the Class A of my amplifier? Un F'nbelievable! Truly unreal. WOW!!!!

I have heard this before many, many times but damn. No experience has been anywhere close to this. None.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    To answer your question, Trey? Volume level 16 on the Canary. When you come here? You know the song and the level.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Okay gentlemen, here is a list of cables that will be available at the end of the Capitol Area Audio Fest;

2ea - Signature AMP Series power cables 3 meter
    6ea - Signature Series power cables 2 meter
    1pr - Signature Series Mamushi RCA-RCA interconnects 3 meter
    1pr - Signature Series RCA-RCA interconnects 2 meter
    1pr - Signature Series speaker cables Spade-Spade 2 meter
    1ea - Boomslang USB 1.5 meter
    1ea - Boomslang RCA-RCA 1.37 meter
    1ea - Boomslang BNC-RCA 1.37 meter
    1ea - Boomslang RCA-BNC 1.37 meter

If anyone is interested in the cables Snake River Audio will have at the show, there is the sale price (code - CAF2023) going on during the event, the sale price is 23% off. If anyone is interested in purchasing the cables from him at the end of the show (Sunday afternoon, when the show is over/room closed down)? You can take them home with you and Jonny will also offer a few more points discount to those who are there in person.

All you have to do is catch Jonny down at booth #34 down in the marketplace and he can give you the lowdown.

If you want to get a glipmse into what I am experiencing, check out the Triangle Art room. This is where the cables will be featured live.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    Options
    I just listened to Tool's, "Chocolate Chip Trip"

my Rythmik gets a workout when that is playing!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,633
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Would be cool to have Snake River do a forum demo program with a few of the cables.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Would be cool to have Snake River do a forum demo program with a few of the cables.

I can almost guarantee Jonny would be up for it . . . cool, knowledge and generous owner/operator
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    I'd like to try diff power cables from my regenerator to mono blocks. I just don't know enough re: what to look for and what will create synergies

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Different PC's from where you are specifying isn't what I would suggest. Try a PC straight from the plug to the amp.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Haha, I recognize that quote. That was me before I even heard any Snake River Audio products. My dream did come true and it was more than I ever thought it would be (in spades). Turned out to be one of the best audio decisions I have made throughout my entire audio journey.

Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to Club Polk.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Different PC's from where you are specifying isn't what I would suggest. Try a PC straight from the plug to the amp.

I agree.
    However, I need to figure out an electrical “home run” from the main panel directly to the listening area. 2 actually, 1 for each mono. Should probably do one for the subwoofer as well.

A somewhat challenging task as my crawl space is very shallow.
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Here’s the Monday morning blurb from Paul McGowan . . .

“It’s all in the power cord”

nm0gzd6j79ud.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

I agree.
    However, I need to figure out an electrical “home run” from the main panel directly to the listening area. 2 actually, 1 for each mono. Should probably do one for the subwoofer as well.

A somewhat challenging task as my crawl space is very shallow.

Let's start another thread for that, so that this thread isn't also FUBAR'd, if you don't mind please. Thanks.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650060253-near-mint-condition/

This? Before the Ferrites were introduced.

This is the first "AMP Series" cable (or any other for that matter) that has come up for sale, period. FWIW. It's not mint but close to it.

Serial number SA 478. Get it before it's gone. These do NOT come up for sale often. At all.....

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    The "Ferrites?"

Brian

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,123
    Options
    Fwiw you can find ferrite core chokes for cables easily
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.