So I went and did something stupid…

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,362
edited October 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
I am taking a chance on an incredibly low price turntable from Japan. eBay assures me that buyer protection applies so there is no risk to me on the purchase, and if it does not come through, I will get a full refund. Good communication with the seller so far and I have been assured that this deal is on the up and up. I hope it all works out for the best, because this is a beast of a turntable.By the accounts I have read online, this is endgame stuff. We shall see how it plays out.

rzr8a4jk6hwf.jpeg
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,568
    Wow! Beautiful design. Linear tracking arm?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,291
    Triangle art was not end game? Man I'm so out of the turn table stuff, I threw my TT away in 1989....

😉
  • nooshinjohn
    maxward wrote: »
    Wow! Beautiful design. Linear tracking arm?

Yes… Air bearing platter and arm.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Triangle art was not end game? Man I'm so out of the turn table stuff, I threw my TT away in 1989....

😉

It would have been but it was too exposed and therefore at great risk of being damaged by my kids….
    This one will still fit well behind closed doors. If it shows up at all, this will be the last table I buy.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,914
    Rest assured, the Triangle Art is in good hands (and safe).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,127
    Best of luck to you. Shipping turntables (especially internationally) can be risky, but if they have original packaging, it should be okay.

Coming from Japan, you might need a step-down transformer to get down to 100VAC/50Hz.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,170
    Doing Drugs is stupid, I would say you're on the Linear/Right Track.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,620
    edited October 2023
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Best of luck to you. Shipping turntables (especially internationally) can be risky, but if they have original packaging, it should be okay.

Coming from Japan, you might need a step-down transformer to get down to 100VAC/50Hz.

Not quite a relevant data point, but my son & I have had excellent experience buying vintage Nikkor lenses from Japan. Any well-established seller with ample experience shipping his/her/their wares worldwide is likely to be quite trustworthy.

Good point, re: the drive voltage/frequency. May or may not matter, depending on the drive requirements -- trust but verify.
    That said, the cool kids use DIY or bespoke drive controllers to ensure the proper voltage and/or frequency for motors that care about such things (e.g., AC synchronous). EDIT: A little googlage shows it's a DC motor, so its power supply may be "agile" a la computer DC P/S bricks.

End game tt?
    Fairchild 750 (2 or 3 speed).

• jdjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Not quite a relevant data point, but my son & I have had excellent experience buying vintage Nikkor lenses from Japan. Any well-established seller with ample experience shipping his/her/their wares worldwide is likely to be quite trustworthy.

Good point, re: the drive voltage/frequency. May or may not matter, depending on the drive requirements -- trust but verify.
    That said, the cool kids use DIY or bespoke drive controllers to ensure the proper voltage and/or frequency for motors that care about such things (e.g., AC synchronous). EDIT: A little googlage shows it's a DC motor, so its power supply may be "agile" a la computer DC P/S bricks.
    Let's just say I had a less-than-perfect experience getting a JVC turntable shipped to me from Japan. Luckily, it was 'only' a slight bit of plinth damage. To be honest, I've had a few worse experiences with turntables shipped within the states.

Regarding the step-down situ, you are undoubtedly right when it comes to the drive motor...DC, and thus more adaptable. BUT, did you happen to look at the air-pump power supply??? This is quite a fancy pants tt.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    And this saga comes to a close... The seller listed the full table for sale but it turns out, the listing was for the accessory kit only.

• jdjohn
    If it sounds too good to be true...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited October 2023
    Pretty cool, John. Curious to hear how you like it. Do you know which cart you're going to be using yet?

Post some specs!

You know that air compressor is gonna need a totl Shunyata PC, and the air tubing more rigid than stock to smooth the air flow, improve consistency, and reduce mushy bearing support.

What's that platter made of? It looks like cake. Is there anything special about it? Too lazy to do more reading after sleuthing the listing.

Looks like an interesting table for sure. And you've got @SCompRacer to rehab it for you, if it ever needs it. I heard Rich loves doing fee, I mean free, work on linear TTs.
    qntd2hldzr3d.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    And this saga comes to a close... The seller listed the full table for sale but it turns out, the listing was for the accessory kit only.
    Dub-tee-eff.
    Okay, I thought I saw others listed for $15k. Was I seeing things?

I checked his feedback. Not awful, but a handful mix of "alternate" product, delayed comms, and shipping delays.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    msg wrote: »
    Dub-tee-eff.
    Okay, I thought I saw others listed for $15k. Was I seeing things?

I checked his feedback. Not awful, but a handful mix of "alternate" product, delayed comms, and shipping delays.

Yeah... his listing was incredibly deceptive, and why I went into it expecting issues, but hoping for the best. It was not to be, and no wallets were harmed during this endeavor.

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    Even when its too good to be true, if it poses you zero risk, why not try it? I've made some pretty good Ebay scores that way.

Shame it was infact too good to be true. Glad no wallets were harmed.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    edited October 2023
    I presume this is the listing you purchased?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394913641604?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

It clearly states turntable in the title and has multiple pictures of the turntable, how did you come to learn it was only the accessory kit? eBay is a weekend world and scammers are everywhere now
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • msg
    I thought it was this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/235264344460

Clearly ripped the photos from the listing you linked, Zach.

His title says turntable, but in the description he only says the accessories are pictured. Additionally that the cartridge is not included. He doesn't say it's "accessories only", nor does he say "turntable not included" lol

I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    Yikes there is something seriously fishy going on there. Run away fast!

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • nooshinjohn

His title says turntable, but in the description he only says the accessories are pictured. Additionally that the cartridge is not included. He doesn't say it's "accessories only", nor does he say "turntable not included" lol
    This is the correct listing. I just loved the way the table looked so I jumped on it. Never even knew the retail price was so high until I dove in. When I saw the retail numbers I got skeptical and reached out to EBay, and then asked the seller for clarification on what I was actually getting.

The seller stated accessories only and no turntable and he quickly refunded me.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    edited October 2023
    This had the potential to be like a Polkfarmboy shipping thread with some unusable junk showing up in a box in a few weeks. Glad it didn't work out!

:D
  • msg
    Yeah, same thing almost happened to me yesterday.

I was in a low signal area trying to buy a soccer team jacket on Ebay, but it kept failing to complete the PayPal fully, and wouldn't return to Ebay.

Good thing, too, because when I got home and was on the computer, I checked it out again. The listing title said Medium, but in the photos, the tag showed this:
    f2a5941yeak0.jpg
    It's only Medium in Japan! Small everywhere else on the planet. Imagine how disappointed I'd have been when I Hulked it.

I disabled signatures.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,637
    What soccer team?
  • stangman67

This is the correct listing. I just loved the way the table looked so I jumped on it. Never even knew the retail price was so high until I dove in. When I saw the retail numbers I got skeptical and reached out to EBay, and then asked the seller for clarification on what I was actually getting.

The seller stated accessories only and no turntable and he quickly refunded me.

Dang bet that’s disappointing either way. Should have kept that Triangle Art!

• msg
    edited October 2023
    OleBoot wrote: »
    What soccer team?
    Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿, sir.
    Don't hold it against me, Longshanks.
    I disabled signatures.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,637
    OleBoot wrote: »
    What soccer team?
    Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿, sir.
    Don't hold it against me, Longshanks.

A proud race, the Jocks.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,620
    edited October 2023
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Let's just say I had a less-than-perfect experience getting a JVC turntable shipped to me from Japan. Luckily, it was 'only' a slight bit of plinth damage. To be honest, I've had a few worse experiences with turntables shipped within the states.

Regarding the step-down situ, you are undoubtedly right when it comes to the drive motor...DC, and thus more adaptable. BUT, did you happen to look at the air-pump power supply??? This is quite a fancy pants tt.
    Yeah, I didn't even think of the air supply.

Hmm... I wonder how Air Supply sounds on one of these tts? B):#
    https://youtu.be/JWdZEumNRmI

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,461
    With air bearing arms, records wonder if everyone knows it's....

https://youtu.be/bPYT9Vyu62A?si=2eBy-Bp6VMam8sp-
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • There's good in every bad thing.

John, just remember we all here on the blog know you are not stupid.

Cheers!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA