Something Missing Here? AQ Type4

Options
Picked these up as part of a package deal. They fit into the banana jacks ok, but not as securely as I would like. Is part of the connector missing or is that just to adapt to spades? @mantis , I know you've sold AQ before (still?).

l0b2cvu888p0.jpg
ssc65elzld2m.jpg

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    If memory serves me correctly, there is also a screw on spade connection that originally came with the cables.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Just noticed this too. One cable has the ferrules backwards, lol. Based on what I bought I'm guessing this gear came from BestBuy/Magnolia in the late 2000's.

saakki0hdwbu.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Okay, now that's definitely....odd, to say the least.

I would either send them back to whomever sold them to you, or if you like them, send them back to AQ to reterminate. The cost isn't as bad as you think it would be for them to do this. You can also upgrade the terminations, if you like.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    That's a horrible banana design.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's a horrible banana design.

There are ends that go on the that are missing.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Years ago, Audioquest had those ends where you could put Spades, Bananas and even bare wire screw on terminations. See the threads at the bottom of what looks to be a banana end but is not?

If you would like them re terminated with proper banana or Spade connectors , PM me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I think those are supposed to be somewhat directional for grounding to avoid interference so go with the writing that says hook that end up to the amp. Highly unlikely that was a factory mistake with the connectors.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I think those are supposed to be somewhat directional for grounding to avoid interference so go with the writing that says hook that end up to the amp. Highly unlikely that was a factory mistake with the connectors.

No, the only reason they are directional is the grains in the copper. Audioquest like any copper company Miles their wires and there is a grain like wood in the Cooper. They use a technic called Perfect Surface copper and they build their cables so the signal goes with the grain instead of against it. Does it actually make a difference? Really hard to tell.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

No, the only reason they are directional is the grains in the copper. Audioquest like any copper company Miles their wires and there is a grain like wood in the Cooper. They use a technic called Perfect Surface copper and they build their cables so the signal goes with the grain instead of against it. Does it actually make a difference? Really hard to tell.

The measurement people always argue that an ac signal travels in both directions, the thing they miss is that the electromagnetic wave travels in one direction.