Recommendations, songs that feature acoustic guitar?

Options
2»

Answers

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    Options
    Al DI Meola is probably arguably one of the very best guitar players of any style. I found him decades ago looking for some good new Christmas music. I was at Tower records and this album was brand new. They use to have a wall of head phones you can check out new Albums with and I sat down and checked this album out and was blown away. Been a fan ever since. This is my favorite song on the Album. I can listen to it in any season.https://youtu.be/dCoFNnh_Xys?si=HH_rqeRGP4u4Tjh1
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Shawn Mullins: Souls Core Revival

Heck yeah, man! I will listen to him tonight after my adult chores are done. @TroyD turned me onto them a year or two ago.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,010
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live album, but maybe folks are burnt-out on it at this point.

For true classical music, besides John Williams, artists like Julian Bream, Narciso Yepes, and Christopher Parkening come to mind. Their wheelhouse is often old baroque guitar (and/or lute) pieces, but of course Spanish guitar pieces are also included.

Nickel Creek has already been mentioned, but there are several other talented folk/bluegrass and country guitarists that have acoustic work. The boys in Alison Kraus and Union Station are quite talented, with a special mention of Jerry Douglas - the best dobro/resonator guitar player ever. Roy Clark was an amazing country guitarist, but most of his 'specialty' guitar pieces are really fast...not exactly soothing. A few of his contemporaries like Jerry Reed and Glen Campbell are also notable guitarists worth mentioning.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,400
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live album, but maybe folks are burnt-out on it at this point.

An audiophile standard that yes, many are tired of. You are right though...It is surprising that this album hasn't already been mentioned. It is a great performance/album, regardless.

On a side note, I heard some dude down at LSAF say, and I quote, "If I hear someone here suggest Keith Don't Go, I am gonna throat punch them!". Of course, he was kidding....or was he?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,088
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »

An audiophile standard that yes, many are tired of. You are right though...It is surprising that this album hasn't already been mentioned. It is a great performance/album, regardless.

On a side note, I heard some dude down at LSAF say, and I quote, "If I hear someone here suggest Keith Don't Go, I am gonna throat punch them!". Of course, he was kidding....or was he?

Tom

I think I was present for this. I didn’t remember the exact quote, but I I do recall someone definitely not wanting to hear Keith Don’t Go.🤣🤣
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    I'm surprised Tommy Emmanuel has not been mentioned, one of the best.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    https://sleazeroxx.com/rik-emmett-to-re-release-album-then-again-featuring-reimagined-versions-of-triumph-songs/

I've been listening to this new Rik Emmet release o. Tidal a lot acoustic versions of Triumph songs.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    Love me some Rik Emmett !!
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,639
    Options
    Anything by Chris Jones.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,088
    Options
    If you like rock music stripped down, check out Chris Cornell: Songbook.

For a singular song: Radiohead: Creep
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,010
    Options
    Tony Rice (RIP) was an excellent bluegrass guitarist. Many of his albums have other instruments in the mix, but Church Street Blues is just him and his guitar...he sings as well.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Rodrigo y Gabriela

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpGjox3TBs

Their rock covers/interpretations are worth seeking out.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,493
    Options
    It's not full on acoustic guitar, but you might enjoy Chris Isaak's Baja Sessions. It's pretty chill.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    James Taylor

Jim Croce

Yes (Steve Howe)

Fleetwood Mac (Lindsey Buckingham)

Nuno Bettencourt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxpeQTUBTeQ

Glen Campbell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhuxkzjuQc
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,701
    Options
    My favorite Al Di Meola song is "Mediterranean Sundance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhccIfevjCU