Polk SDA-2A vs Infinity RS IIIb

Options
Bleiz
Bleiz Posts: 23
edited October 2023 in Vintage Speakers
Hello this is my 1:st post on this very nice forum, I'm based in Sweden and started this journey last Saturday having read up on the SDA-2A and similar models finding many interesting posts and threads on this model/tecnology.

My background in this field is an everlasting interest of good sound although I've never had the "real" high-end superstuff regarding amps + speakers, I attended a 1 year soundengineer course w. diploma back in 1987and got lucky to find work immediately afterwards at Polar Studios (Abba) in Stockholm + Sonet studios + Soundtrade studios before becoming a freelance soundengineer and later on building my own studios out in the countryside here in Sweden, now nr. 3 www.lakesong.se this site will however expire by the end of October so see the new site www.magictimbres.se if this is of any interest ;-)

Ok so let's get down to the boiling point here, last weekend I found an almost local ad for the SDA-2A for like 200 usd equivalent in Swedish currency in perfect working order, another guy beat me to it typically, these are very rare in this part of the world.

Googled on was searching for Q Acoustics 3050i and Fyne etc until I saw an ad for the Infinity RSIIIb 500 usd mint yesterday + refurbished which I will get on Saturday coming up, I understand these will suit my living room purposes for both enjoying normal stereo listening + at times for analytic trials of mixes done in the studio downstairs, this livingroom is ca 40 sqm and square leaning to rectangular in shape, wooden surfaces with some carpets.

In the studio I mix various material on the old JBL L19's which has never lied to my ears and during test-listening up until now in the living room I've had the B&W DM 602 S2 bookshelves on stands + an Audio pro sub for bottom slight "puff" for about 10 years.

The things that intrigued me with the SDA series speakers according to many posts and threads here seemed very interesting to say the least in terms of the sound described almost psycho-acoustical magic etc BUT I suppose the Infinity's will adhere more to my needs regarding "normal" but wide soundstage and fast bassresponse for the reasons mentioned above and so I will go for those for now for a starter :-)

Amp is HK670 integrated hope it will do for these speakers @ 4 ohm's otherwise please let me know of better alternatives.

Ok sorry for this lenghty post but I wanted to adress a bit where I'm coming from, all the best to you and greetings from Sweden***

magictimbres.se
Thoréns TD318 MKII w. Sumiko Olympia
Arcam rPhono
Harmony Design pre 906
Cambridge Azur 651w
Infinity RS IIIb

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hallå,
    Välkommen till Polks forum!
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum!
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    The RSIIIb’s are good speakers. I’ve had both the SDA 2A’s and the RSIIIb’s have way better bass. The tweeters are also superior. I had other higher end vintage Infinity as well, such as Kappa 8 which surpassed the RSIIIb’s, but the latter are no slouches by any means. They like good power but those vintage HK’s are good just don’t go cowboy on the volume knob. I do t know what you mean by “refurbished” but the 2A’s have two crossovers which means a lot of money if capacitors and resistors need replacing but the RSIIIb’s also are very expensive to rebuild crossovers. Personally, I think the Infinities kick the snot out of 2A’s. EMIT tweeters are special and they put out the bass. The better the power the better they will sound.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    I'm sure the 2A's go a lot lower in bass though, every amp upgrade I've done makes them sound better and better.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bleiz
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    The RSIIIb’s are good speakers. I’ve had both the SDA 2A’s and the RSIIIb’s have way better bass. The tweeters are also superior. I had other higher end vintage Infinity as well, such as Kappa 8 which surpassed the RSIIIb’s, but the latter are no slouches by any means. They like good power but those vintage HK’s are good just don’t go cowboy on the volume knob. I do t know what you mean by “refurbished” but the 2A’s have two crossovers which means a lot of money if capacitors and resistors need replacing but the RSIIIb’s also are very expensive to rebuild crossovers. Personally, I think the Infinities kick the snot out of 2A’s. EMIT tweeters are special and they put out the bass. The better the power the better they will sound.

Hi by refurbished I meant the bass elements have had their foams replaced recently, will do new foam-mats (?) around the tweeters/mids as they look bad/deterioated, as for the crossovers I don't know yet, have read some suggestions on another forum for caps + resistors replacement bypassing the pots but need to be sure which values for the flattest response.

You mentioned Kappa 8's as superior so I had to do a little search of course but guess those RSIIIb's will do for my needs and I don't want too much treble going on even though they might be "better" on resolution hi-freq.
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • Bleiz
    Options
    And yes I forgot to mention as some guys state bi-amping will be even better,
    have never dealt with those things so far is the difference that big really?
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    I have 2A's and RSIIIa's. Which are pretty much the same as the IIIb. The IIIa' absolutely trounce the 2A's in every way. Better, deeper bass response, midrange. And EMIT tweeters are just fantastic smooth sounding to my ears.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Bleiz
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    I have 2A's and RSIIIa's. Which are pretty much the same as the IIIb. The IIIa' absolutely trounce the 2A's in every way. Better, deeper bass response, midrange. And EMIT tweeters are just fantastic smooth sounding to my ears.

Aren't the RSIIIa's lesser priced normally, that of course is not necessarily meaning those are lesser in reproducing a "better sound in every way" than the RSIIIb's that also have the EMIT tweeters, what can I say as I've never heard any of them and I'll go for the b's this weekend and am sure they will upgrade the livingroomsound somewhat over my B&W DM602S2's.
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • Bleiz
    Options
    By the way I forgot to ask you people with experience of the RSIIIb's how about placement, a straight forward or somewhat toe-in like I normally prefer, I will have them in equitriangular distance in between and to my sweetspot of course.
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • Bleiz
    Options
    The RSIIIB's are in place today and I am very happy, best sweetspot not sitting in the sofa but standing up huuh as they are somewhat tilted upwards w. the stands underneath anyway any ideas regarding straight-forward placement or a little bit of toe-in? :-)p4npgcndeq68.jpg
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,346
    Options
    Bleiz wrote: »
    The RSIIIB's are in place today and I am very happy, best sweetspot not sitting in the sofa but standing up huuh as they are somewhat tilted upwards w. the stands underneath anyway any ideas regarding straight-forward placement or a little bit of toe-in? :-)p4npgcndeq68.jpg

This is typical with these types of speakers IME.

Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to Club Polk!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bleiz
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Today everything is in place and I thank you for the welcoming messages in this very friendly forum even though we sometimes "speak" about other brands than Polk and that is so exactly what I like about this place!

Have listened yesterday and today on my reference CD's (Steely Dan remastered among several)+ a bit of various music like Randy Crawford's "You might need somebody" and tried different toe-in placements to find a slight degree is just fine for this room + my ears, will skip the Audio Pro sub for now as I am very pleased with the sound coming out of these RSIIIb's :-) s72ueo8qwk9f.jpg
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The Infinity's are excellent speakers, and will only sound better with better amplification and source equipment. Welcome to the rabbit hole, and to the club.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Those are great looking speakers I'm sure they sound alright too 😉

I have the little bitty bookies, fan of even the small ones.

uz7q27rcoemg.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Bleiz
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Those are great looking speakers I'm sure they sound alright too 😉

I have the little bitty bookies, fan of even the small ones.

uz7q27rcoemg.jpg

Which boxes are these? ;-)
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options

Which boxes are these? ;-)

Kappa 5's I do believe.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Love those tweeters !
    Used to have a pair of infinity RSa’s in college..

My Salk’s Raal ribbons remind me of those ….

Bk

Best tweeter ever !

gpkmbww9uupz.jpeg
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • Bleiz
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hello again can't come to grips with the physical downside that occurs while listening the these RSIIIb's from a normal sitting position 3 meters away in this 40sqm room like I described earlier I have to stand up @ my sweetspot to get the full crispness of the EMIT's as they seem to be higher than my ears while sitting in the sofa, am not a midget 180 cm's tall.

Is there a way to get them to project a bit lower? If turning/mounting them sideways 45 degrees for instance do they project differently in horizontal rather than vertical ribbon orientation? Reflectors above the EMIT's would help or what, strange design to miss out on the treble in such a significant way which I've never experienced before. Should one place them straight instead of a slight toe-in like I have now? 355akrs95ter.jpg
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • Bleiz
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Could the above have anything to do with the deterioated refraction foam that will be changed soon, any effects from this and the EMIT's maybe getting more absorbed than intended, what is exactly the purpose of this foam?
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If the foam is deterioated then it cannot absorb more. If anything it will be brighter and more pronounced. The purpose is to absorb some of the waves that would be bouncing off the front of the cabinet and smearing the sound when the waves collide.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,346
    Options
    You might try setting some shims in the back of each speaker to taste. You adjust toe in to achieve a perfect balance between brightness/overall tone and the phantom center image.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bleiz
    edited October 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If the foam is deterioated then it cannot absorb more. If anything it will be brighter and more pronounced. The purpose is to absorb some of the waves that would be bouncing off the front of the cabinet and smearing the sound when the waves collide.

Have read that it must be open porous foam not blank and closed skin, or I'll just remove it...in my case like described lately I don't get clean treble unless I stand up, hence it is nowhere shrill or dispersed.
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You might be getting some comb filtering in the vertical direction, which is causing some null regions and accentuated regions. That could be due to not having the fully intact anti-diffraction foam on the front baffle. That top edge is a fair distance from the tweeter and is a sharp 90deg corner and you might be getting out of phase reflections from that edge. When that combines with the direct wave from the tweeter it could be causing interference.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Bleiz
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You might be getting some comb filtering in the vertical direction, which is causing some null regions and accentuated regions. That could be due to not having the fully intact anti-diffraction foam on the front baffle. That top edge is a fair distance from the tweeter and is a sharp 90deg corner and you might be getting out of phase reflections from that edge. When that combines with the direct wave from the tweeter it could be causing interference.

Hi, regarding this antidiffraction foam, wouldn't it be better with some thin felt-like material w. selfadhesive for the said purpose? There are for example the thin grassrolls or sheets that you use for modelrailroad landscapes if you know what I mean, green instead of black foam but more of the properties intended is a wild guess.
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi, regarding this antidiffraction foam, wouldn't it be better with some thin felt-like material w. selfadhesive for the said purpose? There are for example the thin grassrolls or sheets that you use for modelrailroad landscapes if you know what I mean, green instead of black foam but more of the properties intended is a wild guess.

Grade F3 Wool Felt would be what I would use. It is a good density and should be more sound absorbent than lower density like F26. Higher wool content as well. Check out the informational chart at the top of this page: This supplier has it in 12" x 12" with adhesive backing. Color is gray. There is a member here VR3 that might be willing to laser cut it for you if you send him a PM.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/wool-felt/

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Bleiz
    Options
    [quote

Grade F3 Wool Felt would be what I would use. It is a good density and should be more sound absorbent than lower density like F26. Higher wool content as well. Check out the informational chart at the top of this page: This supplier has it in 12" x 12" with adhesive backing. Color is gray. There is a member here VR3 that might be willing to laser cut it for you if you send him a PM.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/wool-felt/

[/quote]

Thank you this confirms the idea perhaps, as I'm based in Sweden I will look and share some material ideas next week, have a bit of surplus material in black from wall absorbing mtrl used in my controlroom.

magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    edited October 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You might try setting some shims in the back of each speaker to taste. You adjust toe in to achieve a perfect balance between brightness/overall tone and the phantom center image.

Tom

This ^^^. I'd put 1" risers in the back. Simple test to see if it improves your situation. I have to do the opposite for my Klipsch KG4's. I want a pair of speakers to hit dead center ear level from my sitting position with a beer in my hand and a few more in my circulatory system. ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Bleiz
    Options
    Did put some equally thick books underneath the back and the towers are now a bit tilted forwards which doesn't look good at all but gives a perfect tweeter response when sitting @ sweetspot, however the bassresponse still sounds better while standing as it diminishes while sitting down again, it is really obvious and I don't really get the picture w. these speakers to be honest (RSIIIb) have tried different positions and am about 2 feet from the back wall + side wall just slightly toed-in, maybe I should try to get closer to the back wall 1 foot? Also find so far that getting the soundstage right is way eaiser with the previous B&W Dm602S2 on stands and there was never any of the above problems....my room is big enough 40 sqm but the bass law seem to be made for standing in the physics of these speakers really!
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Did you try them closer together?
  • Bleiz
    edited October 2023
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Did you try them closer together?

Just slightly otherwise I'll need to sit so close and the furniture w. stereo + tv in between does not allow for less than 280 cm's / 9.2 feet (cone to cone) should I rearrange and go closer? Does probably not get rid of the fact that the bass sounds full only when I stand up and anywhere in the room in fact.
    magictimbres.se
    Arcam rPhono
    Harmony Design pre 906
    Cambridge Azur 651w
    Infinity RS IIIb