The Space Thread -

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    The outer dust bands of Andromeda are already mingling with those of the Milky Way…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,346
    Options
    up68yel0nkwq.jpg

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Recent Perseid photo?
  • treitz3
    Options
    Dunno. The only commentary where I found this photo stated, "Perfect shot". That's all the information I have on it, unfortunately. Cool photo, nonetheless.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    up68yel0nkwq.jpg

Tom

View from Alderaan as the Death Star opened fire…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
    Little bit of history...

z2odyh1rf42d.png

j34jipp0pcnd.png

Tom
  • huggies
    huggies Posts: 149
    Options
    For those interested in the pretty pictures, check out Astrobin.com. Amateur and pro's alike host tons of astrophotography pictures. Astro technology for the amateur has come along way in the last 10 years. Space is amazing. Dark Shark was one of my early goals learning the hobby.

Treitz, did you take any of those pics?
  • treitz3
    Options
    No sir. My real hobby is 2 channel audio. I have always been very interested in everything else that exists out there beyond this big, blue marble though. Ever since I was a kid.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    The Ring of Fire happens today! If you are in the area, be on the lookout for it.

1lq0m2wyeav6.jpg

Most sky watchers in North, Central, and South America will be able to see at least a partial solar eclipse; the eclipse will not be visible outside these areas. All eclipse-watchers will need to use specialized solar filters or an indirect viewing method (like a pinhole projector) to safely watch the eclipse.

Tom
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 214
    Options

What in the Wizard of Oz is going on here?
    5l208l9805ex.jpg

Tom

c9fy3cnddk48.png
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    edited October 2023
    Options
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    A streamer friend of mine got to do a stream live from the launch of the Psyche mission. She was invited by NASA to do this stream along with some other creators.
    2i0r66fuhrf6.png
    3x01eche91do.png

She even got a tattoo to commemorate the event...
    bduwe3t2hltf.png

On a less exciting note, my wife and I spent a long weekend a couple of weeks ago at our friends' house in *very* rural southern Missouri where we got to see the ISS fly over each night. They have so little light pollution where they are that you can see the Milky Way vividly with the naked eye.
    I got some iPhone pics but they aren't great but any means. So, instead, here is a recent photo of Venus.

sbd89btpgvu4.jpg

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    Options
    So, I ran across some interesting photos of the recent ring of fire from around the world. This one, to me, showed a very interesting point of view.

An eclipse on the horizon at sunrise. The Sun appears reddened by the intervening Earth’s atmosphere. An inversion layer in the atmosphere makes part of the Sun appeared doubled near the horizon.

But, this one was not taken last week. This picture was actually captured in December 2019 from Al Wakrah, Qatar.

cdc67aix7qog.jpg

Tom
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Looks like there should be some b***'s being held back in there.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • treitz3
    Options

0c3d25d1wvz3.png

Sun pillars or light pillars form when sunlight (or another bright light source) reflects off the surfaces of millions of falling ice crystals associated with thin, high-level clouds, for example, cirrostratus clouds. The ice crystals have roughly horizontal faces. They are falling through Earth’s atmosphere, rocking slightly from side to side.

They will reflect natural and artificial light that extend in columns that extend through the sky. The one below was created by lightning (rare sight)...

c1f2jacg8njk.png

0ns3z4gya97f.jpg

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    s0o9526jnkz3.jpg

Is it Van Gogh or Jupiter?

Jupiter, actually. (As if you really didn't know this). This shot was taken during a Perijove pass as Juno flew by the gas planet.

gaycsdhkmfi5.jpg

Photos are courtesy of NASA.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    A super sharp capture of the Pillars of Creation in Eagle Nebula in Serpens constellation by the James Webb telescope.

zfw3pbnosp0k.jpg

Also, here is a little perspective - the true size of our moon compared to Earth.

u74zbrewbarz.jpg

Tom
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,927
    Options
    Not totally related but has anyone watched Life On Our Planet on Netflix? Morgan Freeman narrates it, and produced by Steven Spielberg. It’s pretty interesting, and done very well. I just wish it would have been about 8 episodes longer, and go into more depth in certain areas/aspects..
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,603
    Options
    f7vp03ldncs5.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    Historic launch of the last of the Deltas...DeltaIV going up tomorrow is the last its kind....Beach is OPEN so one can get a unbelievable view of the launch. This is a must see

• treitz3
    Options
    The dark side of the moon....from a different perspective....

nndcelcxrrla.png

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    The dark side of the moon....from a different perspective....

nndcelcxrrla.png

Tom

That is epically cool!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited April 14
    Options
    Not to go all Cliff Clavin on y'all, but the "dark side" with respect to that photo posted above (which is very cool) is the other side. The "dark side" sobriquet refers to the side that always faces away from the earth -- yet another of the moon's silly party tricks. :D
    Even Wiki-p refers to it as the "far side" of the moon -- although I am not sure how Gary Larson might feel about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_side_of_the_Moon

bqodwvo4as41.png
    by Smurrayinchester - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2016493

• treitz3
    Options
    I'm pretty sure (seeing as, how there is zero light reflecting off of that image) that this is, in fact....the dark side of the moon.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    At least within a normal and rational, descriptive term.....

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    points granted.
    ;)
  • treitz3
    Options
    Back in 1988 or so, my boss and I had an actual bet, we shook on it and I knew I would win. It was on this exact topic.

2K was the bet. 2k!!!

"Dark side of the moon"....

We called, I don't know how many national planetariums and got the run around. He would present his side and they agreed and he let me listen. Then I asked them questions and all of a sudden? They agreed with me.

Probably 2 years went by without that question actually being answered by the, "professionals".

We both gave up after that.

The bet was never settled. FWIW.

We did, however have a whole bunch of fun asking people from all walks of life this question. Some were stupid answers, some were beyond belief, some were logical but flawed and some were flat out hilarious.

"What is the dark side of the moon and what causes it"?

That was the question.....

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    The moon doesn't rotate, it is locked. We only ever see one side of the moon which is reflecting light from the sun and earth. The dark side is facing away
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    The far side or the dark side?

During an eclipse? The dark side is facing toward us...

Tom