Options
    This is as good as a cable debate 🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,281
    Options
    Just heard this about the space telescope Chandra
    (X-rays).
    ÑOT a political post but it does involve Congress.
    NOT A POLITICAL POST

https://youtube.com/shorts/sE-RUu9ClsU?si=vKQKxCjyrcFoqp8S
    Sal Palooza
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,061
    edited April 15
    Options
    I'm not sure I follow, we always see the same side of the moon... It never changes

During the total solar eclipse that’s set to occur, the far side of the Moon will be completely bathed in sunlight as the Moon blocks the Sun from Earth’s view. However, even the 2024 solar eclipse won’t alter the fact that we always see the same side of the Moon. This phenomenon is due to Earth’s gravity and the Moon’s rotation1

The dark side is simply the side not receiving reflected light from the sun.

So in an eclipse the side we see would momentarily be the dark side but it's ultimately not a different side of the moon.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mrbigbluelight
    edited April 15
    Options
    Pink Floyd "DARK" side of the moon
    "DARK" implies "Unknown", "Unseen", "Hidden", "Mysterious ", "Trippy"
    It makes one quizzical, searching for what's "out there". 🤔

"Far Side" might be something one's grandma might come up with in her Canasta Club
    Grandma's a nice lady, but... Sorry Grandma, we're sticking with the correct
    DSOTM 👍😇
    Sal Palooza
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    edited April 15
    Options
    The moon does indeed rotate. It doesn’t appear to from our perspective because its period of rotation is the same duration as its period of revolution.
  • mrbigbluelight
    edited April 15
    Options
    It doesn't rotate.
    It revolves.

If you attach a tennis ball to the end of a string and swing it around your head, it doesn't rotatate, it revolves.

The only way I can make this explanation any easier is if I personally demonstrate by showing up at your housr.
    I will, of course, expect a complimentary meal and beverage for my services.
    Gas money may be required depending on your distance.
    Science ain't cheap.
    Sal Palooza
  • maxward
    Options
    It rotates AND revolves. Rotation is a spin on its axis. Revolution is an orbit (in this case, around the Earth). The fact that it rotates once every 28ish days and makes a revolution in the same 28ish days allows us on Earth to see only one side of the Moon. If it didn’t rotate, as you said, we’d see all of the Moon during the month

Take your tennis balls and put them on them the ground. If you leave one alone and make the other revolve around it, you will need to spin that other ball once per revolution in order to keep the same side facing the stationary ball. Alternatively, keep spinning the tennis ball around your head and have someone else look down on you as you do this. That person will see that the tennis ball rotates exactly once for every time it revolves around your head.

It’s about perspective. Looking at the Moon from space, it rotates. I’d like a rare ribeye and a glass of Aardbeg, please.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,058
    Options
    my work is done here. B):#:D:blush:
  • maxward
    Options
    Until a pot needs to be stirred.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,362
    Options
    At the end of the day and after 2 years of my boss and I talking much smack to one another, we both mutually ended up cancelling the bet. The question was,

"What is the dark side of the moon and what causes it?"

We were both correct. It was just that the question was flawed from the get go. He was correct in his stance that it was the side of the moon we never see (which to me was the far side, not the dark side) but that wasn't my question. The bet was what caused the dark side of the moon. In my mind, I was referring to the unlit portion of the moon. In his mind, he was referring to the dark/far side of the moon.

We did find it funny that of all of the planetariums we called to get an "official" answer? They would all end up agreeing with the both of us. We both told them what was riding on the bet, and that we were in search of the official answer.

The truth is, that the question itself was flawed. We did have a lot of fun talking smack and asking people this question. Some of the answers left you scratching your head, seriously questioning the intelligence of some folks and other answers were flat out hilarious.

Of course, this was back in 1988-1990 before the days of Google and folks were more interested in a dress and some chick, name of Monica Lewinski. :o

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    Options
    Ya mean I coulda just said “Google it.” Where’s the fun in that?