Amplifier

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
edited October 2023 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
At least 200wpc high current SS amp
or I would consider a tube amp.... maybe.
Anything out there for sale?
Brands that come to mind, although not all inclusive, are
Butler
McCormack
Belles
HCA Parasound
to name a few...
Post edited by kevhed72 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Musical fidelity
    Mark levinson
    Odyssey studio
    Krell
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    What's your budget? One meeleon dollars?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Very surprised those are still there.
    I have heard these and the lower end model, the BM275. Truth be told, I much preferred the 275. These were my observations over more than a handful of differing systems.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kevhed72
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    What's your budget? One meeleon dollars?

Ill say 2k ish
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Kev!!! what the #$%* are you doing now?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I spoke to Klaus from Odyssey briefly yesterday and what a cool guy. I called him out of the blue and he took the time to answer all my questions. I don't need a pair of Stratus Monoblocks, but I really want a pair, as this would be my first pair of monblocks.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    no intent of derailing your thread . . . but, the last pic in the Carver FS ad has a shipping box that states "Made in China" So, it begs the question, are Carver products made overseas? Or is the seller just stacking the amp on anything he has available ??

@kevhed72 I hear Klaus is one of the good ones. You're dealing with the real deal (honest representation). No affil
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    no intent of derailing your thread . . . but, the last pic in the Carver FS ad has a shipping box that states "Made in China" So, it begs the question, are Carver products made overseas? Or is the seller just stacking the amp on anything he has available ??

@kevhed72 I hear Klaus is one of the good ones. You're dealing with the real deal (honest representation). No affil

I did not see that... Now I understand why Bob and Emotiva parted ways. These amps were supposed to be built in the US and Danny boy from Emo decided to break his end of the deal, or so it would appear.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    They were apparently built in Franklin Tennessee.
  • msg
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I spoke to Klaus from Odyssey briefly yesterday and what a cool guy. I called him out of the blue and he took the time to answer all my questions. I don't need a pair of Stratus Monoblocks, but I really want a pair, as this would be my first pair of monblocks.
    @ALL212
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

Thats where they agreement said they would be made, and some were, but if that box is correct for the amplifier, it would seem that was not true for all of them

• treitz3
    Options
    If Odyssey is your choice? Be forewarned that it takes 3 days to warm up every time you power her down and let her cool off.

Day two is the worst.

Keep it plugged in and on 24/7. Spoken from experience. Great amplifier, other than that!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    Options

No. You NEED monoblocks. I've yet to find anyone who had monos and went back to a stereo amp because they didn't like them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options

No. You NEED monoblocks. I've yet to find anyone who had monos and went back to a stereo amp because they didn't like them.

Very true if it is an apples to apples comparison, my friend has adcom gfa565 monoblocks and my krell stereo amp smokes them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options

Thats where they agreement said they would be made, and some were, but if that box is correct for the amplifier, it would seem that was not true for all of them
    Emotiva is based in Franklin, TN, which is basically a suburb of Nashville.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I have a Symphonic Line RG1 MK3 power amp, which is where Klaus started in Germany, but it is *only* 130WPC into 8 ohms, so not within desired specs of the OP. It feels like a solid block of metal, but with a lovely chrome plating all over.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    Options

Hey guys, I messaged the seller on USAM for this set John posted earlier. Friendly, forthcoming dude. He emailed back and said that he was selling some Prima Lunas as well at the time the listing photos were taken, and that he's pretty sure that's where the Made in China box is from.

He said he believes he has the oem boxes for the Carver monos, and is checking to confirm. He also conversationally relayed that he "didn't think Bob Carver amps were made anywhere else but by Carver here in the US, right?"

I'm just now seeing that the asking price is 2x your budget-ish, though, Kev.

Anyway, that's the skinny on the Carver monos there at USAM.

I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Klaus makes a great product but he basically uses the board from an entry level symphonic line amplifier and hot rods it's with quality parts... Nothing wrong with that

However once you move up the symphonic line chain the performance gap is pretty wide as I understand it

Case in point

Symphonic line rg11
    gkrsyzmb5ubk.jpeg

Odyssey khartago
    0s6a86rf75ty.jpg

Symphonic line rg7
    cfz83zsuvo1r.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Emotiva is based in Franklin, TN, which is basically a suburb of Nashville.

The guy I bought my Aragon 8008bb from lives in Franklin and works for (did at the time) Emotiva. He worked for decades at the McIntosh co. On the east coast. Great guy!! Heck of a tech. vetwym9jpoav.jpg
    yd2mcedbgqge.jpg
    My amp on his bench and his rig he listens to.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Here are the guts of my Symphonic Line RG1 MK3
    z38hh9g97x08.jpg
    The filter caps are mounted on the underside, but they are branded/spec'd for Symphonic Line.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Symphonic line rg7
    cfz83zsuvo1r.jpg

That RG7 is a beautiful piece of work!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited October 2023
    Options

I would not say I didn’t like the mono blocks I had but have since moved to an integrated and the new integrated is so much more refined. Many advantages to the integrated. Less real estate needed, less cables…. In essence one can invest in more quality product’s because you won’t need as many. But that is just my findings.

I’m not saying monos aren’t great but generally a larger investment is needed.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If Odyssey is your choice? Be forewarned that it takes 3 days to warm up every time you power her down and let her cool off.

Day two is the worst.

Keep it plugged in and on 24/7. Spoken from experience. Great amplifier, other than that!

Tom
    Appreciate the heads up….this wouldn’t be an issue for me since I keep my amp on 24 7 via a dedicated 20amp circuit, so no issues or ground loop hum to worry about. I do unplug everything for vacation or during bad storms due lightning paranoia.

• treitz3
    Options
    You are welcome. It was the lightning storm threat for me. In my area, we had waaaay too many storms roll through with the threat of severe lightning. I had the displeasure a long time ago (after sending in my amps for refresh service) of a lightning strike within about 10 feet of the system.

I literally heard the components sizzle, as they were being broadcast over the speakers, as the picture frames were dancing from one direction to the other and the room lit up like the sun was just outside of the room. I had just walked out of the shower when it hit and when I heard this happen, I literally dove toward the power cords to unplug the system. It was too late.

There isn't much out there along your audio journey that bites more than experiencing this. It's a sound one never forgets. I have been much more diligent about watching weather patterns since then and even if I know I won't be home during a threat? The system is unplugged in its entirety and all plugs are moved at least a foot away from the outlets.

The summer I let my Odyssey go, we had back to back storms for a long time and I finally took the amp out of service. Don't get me wrong, it was listenable on day one. Just not a "preferred" sound. Day two, I couldn't even listen. It may be listenable for some but the sound, imaging and spatial locationality cues were all over the place, things were smeared and I personally could not stand it. Then, at some undefined time on day three? BAM! Everything just fell into focus and it was the amplifier I loved all over again.

I would probably still have that amp if it weren't for where I live and the sheer amount of lightning storms we have in the area. Well, that and I needed to replace my speakers. That was the same year one of my speakers flew through the air and met its demise when it hit the pavement 7 feet away at an audio event where my rig was featured. That amp helped fund the new speakers.

On a side note, this only happens when you power her down and let her cool down. If you turn it off, change something (like an IC or PC) and powered her right back up? You had no wait time with the amp. FWIW.

Tom
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Klaus (Odyssey) has been my go to for main rig pre, amps and speakers.

I’ve drifted away on the pre as I have a Rogue 99 there now.

I prefer the Tempest pre over Candela.

Current amps are the kismet in khartago chassis with all the fun stuff maxed out.

qj6cig1dcgf8.jpeg

These are the end all for me. I quit looking when these went in.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Very true if it is an apples to apples comparison, my friend has adcom gfa565 monoblocks and my krell stereo amp smokes them.

Well, ya. But that's not even a fair comparison. And it would also depend on what your ears like. Some consider the modern Krells fatiguing simply compared to the early models.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC