I got the news

Options
Brand new, just released on 180g vinyl remastered by the man himself, Bernie Grundman on the Geffen label. And the best part is the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Aja-LP-Steely-Dan/dp/B0CDJ6L418

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I’m going to hold out for the UHQR. Should be out soon.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,975
    Options
    Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I have an excellent pressing of it but as usual, I wonder how much better can it be.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    I tried listening to this album. Can someone teach me how to like it? lol
    I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Wow! First time I ever heard anyone say they didn't like Aja. The music, the mastering is all excellent, but I understand, it's all subjective. Try listening to it with the Cadenza's Scott. Lol! ;)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options

Yep, incredible musicianship and SQ. The songs? Eh, none of them have never drawn me in and made me want to keep listening…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    Aja is awesome..
  • Keiko
    edited October 2023
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Yep, incredible musicianship and SQ. The songs? Eh, none of them have never drawn me in and made me want to keep listening…

Take your big black cow and get out of here. :D

I agree 110% Larry. From start to finish, Aja is a masterpiece. Every song on that album had FM radio play. Not a single filler. I look forward to getting this one on the 1210 and ripping it.

When I ripped Can't Buy A Thrill, I couldn't discern any notable difference between my vinyl rip vs the SACD. And while I think the Aja SACD is excellent, the soundstage is a bit narrow IMO. My DCC copy mastered by Steve Hoffman is much better I think. It should be interesting to compare the Bernie Grundman mastering to the Steve Hoffman version.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options

Hint: More weed.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

Hint: More weed.

There's not enough!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    That's just because you have an exceptionally high tolerance. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    listening to it now while grading...its perfectly fine for that. Excellent elevator music, very high quality 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »

Wow! First time I ever heard anyone say they didn't like Aja. The music, the mastering is all excellent, but I understand, it's all subjective. Try listening to it with the Cadenza's Scott. Lol! ;)

Lol, I'll give that a shot this eve, Mike! Gonna take a chill night and grill some grub and burn in the Cadenza Kiwis 🥝 more.

I tried it a while back, several years ago. Good buddy Darryl @voltz sent me a spare copy with some other discs and records. Man, I just couldn't get into it at all! Maybe the disc I was listening to was a complete misprint?

I did and do hear that it's very well recorded.

If anything changes... I'll post back lol

Side note, I meant to recommend for you - The War On Drugs, Lost In The Dream. That album came on last night while I was listening with the Kiwis 🥝, and it sounded friggin' great. That album has so many different sounding tracks. You're practically guaranteed to find something you like. The last few tracks are really chill and sound great on the IEMs. Others, faster and rocky-y. Layered tracks, lots of different influences/time periods noticeable.

Sorry to hijack Aja news! lol

I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    My wife hates when I put on Steely Dan.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    I have Gaucho in 96/24 flac and think its a great album.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • msg
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Clearly you married a woman with great taste in music 😂
    I disabled signatures.
  • Keiko
    edited October 2023
    Options

You should play them more often then in my professional opinion. We shall have our revenge against the Madonna fem-naz!s!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options

Turn up the Eagles the neighbors are listening
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Ha my wife loves the Dan one group we can both enjoy together my Daughter caught us dancing around in the basement listening to Two Against Nature when it first came out. She thought we were crazy and questioned our taste in Music. Cant imagine anyone not enjoying Aja unheard of that's crazy talk. :D
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Turn up the Eagles the neighbors are listening
    Ha! I was able to decipher a @mhardy6647 ism! Sometimes, between you and @SeleniumFalcon I can't even get enough information to internet-cheat.
    hcl30n7k2ofw.png

I disabled signatures.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Aja isn't my favorite Steely Dan album, musically. Great production values though. I think it was always a little too slick for my taste.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options
    Brand new, just released on 180g vinyl remastered by the man himself, Bernie Grundman on the Geffen label. And the best part is the price.

Did you buy it? I'm curious how it compares. I just listened to my AB version and it sounds great! It really doesn't leave me wanting more.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,975
    Options
    I have the same version but still wonder what Grundman did to it and if it's an improvement.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options

I have the 200-gram Universal Japanese pressings of Gaucho and Aja. They sound veryyyy good and are in my demo album rack.

I had someone over that wasn't familiar with Steely Dan so I played Gaucho. He purchased their entire catalog and told me he didn't like much of it, only Gaucho. :D I like all their stuff.

77p0ocjd39uw.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options

Put on Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad album! Maybe that will change her mind.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »

I can only vouch for the gold promo CD which is excellent. B)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Keiko
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »

Been trying to find Kamakiriad on vinyl for ages. Oh, it's available, but the prices are crazy high. At least I have a nice copy of it on DVD-A and the CD is pretty well mastered.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Gaucho is the only one of the canonical Steely Dan albums I don't much care for. Very humdrum -- sounds to me like they were just going through the motions to fulfill a contract.

Still like their first album best of all, I think.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options

Been trying to find Kamakiriad on vinyl for ages. Oh, it's available, but the prices are crazy high. At least I have a nice copy of it on DVD-A and the CD is pretty well mastered.

Ouch! $140 on Amazon

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I've never been a Steely Dan fan. I do appreciate Mike @Keiko and Doc @mhardy6647 for pushing me over the edge to purchase the SACD of their first album. I've tried and tried to listen to the rest of them at work on YouTube to take advantage of the other SACD offerings. Sadly the first will be my one and only Steely Dan I'll own.