iPhone 15 pro max

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,058
Hello,
Anyone pick one up yet? Any heat issues? I have noticed some complain about heat and others say it's no different than last year or Android phone as are as heat goes.

I stil have a iPhone 11 Pro Max which I would like now to upgrade.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    I read it’s a software issue, so I haven’t upgraded my 11 Pro to iOS 17 just yet, waiting for the next release.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mantis
    Options
    I'm running 16.7 IOS on my 11 Pro Max with no issues at all. I also skipped the 17 upgrade due to finding this out.
    Dan
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited October 2023
    Options
    My wife went from the 12 to the 15 pro, no issues and happy with the minor changes apple throws it's users 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    My friend got a 15. It's fine and works as you'd expect.

Heat issues will be fixed with software, it's been an issue with all Apple phones at launch since the X but they always fix it with an update.

The titanium frame gets discolored as you smudge it but that's temporary. Buy a case for it.

The back glass is extremely fragile, a little pressure and it pops and shatters. Be very careful. Once again, buy a case.

I'm personally an Android guy but I really like the 15 Pro and it's made me gain a little more respect for Apple. It's a no brainer to get one and the difference between the 15 and previous generations is big enough to justify the small price difference. It uses USB-C so don't try to go jam a lightning cable in there 😂
  • VR3
    Options
    We were considering the 14 and went with the 15 solely to get rid of the lightning chargers around the house
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    Options
    aI never understood the wanting to get rid of Lighting cables. They don't bother me at all. I could care less what I charge my phone, laptop or iPad with. USB-C is fine as well as is Lightning.
    Dan
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    aI never understood the wanting to get rid of Lighting cables. They don't bother me at all. I could care less what I charge my phone, laptop or iPad with. USB-C is fine as well as is Lightning.

There has been a huge push the last decade or so to get them all on one standard Dan. With the exception of Apple all the others phones have been through 3-4 different charging sizes and shapes. When all the others set the standard to USB-C that left Apple the outlier. Honestly it makes sense to have only one size and standard.
  • mantis
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

There has been a huge push the last decade or so to get them all on one standard Dan. With the exception of Apple all the others phones have been through 3-4 different charging sizes and shapes. When all the others set the standard to USB-C that left Apple the outlier. Honestly it makes sense to have only one size and standard.

I think it's fine.
    Dan
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    There's very little fumbling around with the Lightning connector, which is nice. At least they chose USB-C, which doesn't have an "up" or "down" side, same as Lightning.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    Nope
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I have a 13 pro max with no heating issues with iOS 17. The issue is with the 15's. As for the USB-C connector? The European Union is the reason why Apple FINALLY took the plunge. They already had USB-C connectors on their laptops and tablets. As of 2024-I believe-the European Union has required one standard connector for electronic devices.
    That being USB-C.
    Obviously it doesn't make sense financially to have multiple connectors for the same device for different parts of the world.
    The reason why I'm all for the change is because USB-C has a higher data transfer rate (*meaning Hi Rez files no longer are limited to 24bit/48khz like they are with Lightning*) Let's see if Apple goes for higher bit rates/sampling rates, which they have resisted thus far for some inexplicable reason.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I have a 13 pro max with no heating issues with iOS 17. The issue is with the 15's. As for the USB-C connector? The European Union is the reason why Apple FINALLY took the plunge. They already had USB-C connectors on their laptops and tablets. As of 2024-I believe-the European Union has required one standard connector for electronic devices.
    That being USB-C.
    Obviously it doesn't make sense financially to have multiple connectors for the same device for different parts of the world.
    The reason why I'm all for the change is because USB-C has a higher data transfer rate (*meaning Hi Rez files no longer are limited to 24bit/48khz like they are with Lightning*) Let's see if Apple goes for higher bit rates/sampling rates, which they have resisted thus far for some inexplicable reason.

I thought 24-bit/192KHz was only 9216Kbps or so, which is 9.2Mbps, and lightning has a data rate of 480Mbps.

Why would you want to go higher?

Even then, USB 2 can carry 32-bit/786KHz, which is 50.2Mbps
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    @ChrisD06 Lightening has a maximum sample rate of 48khz. Meaning Hi Rez files aren't playing at the same sample rate they came. They are being down sampled.
    Heck if I could get DSD on an iPhone I would be happy as a pig in slop!
    If you don't care about such things then more power to you.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @ChrisD06 Lightening has a maximum sample rate of 48khz. Meaning Hi Rez files aren't playing at the same sample rate they came. They are being down sampled.

Ohhh right, yes the lightning to 3.5mm has a built in DAC.

Apple is using this same DAC in their USB-C to 3.5mm adapter so no higher than 24-bit/48KHz

Now, mind you that's not too bad. You can't hear the difference between 48KHz and 192KHz anyways so no need to spend so much extra cash on it.
  • mantis
    Options
    I picked up the iPhone 15 Pro Max 512 today. I'm not a fan of how this process goes. I use to get it setup in the store but NO, you have to take it home and do it yourself. It's not the end of the world but I planned on leaving the store with my new iPhone and leaving my old, That didn't happen either, you have to first go home, setup your phone yourself, then go on the att website and get your trade in. They send you a box and then you ship it in. Stupid I know
    Dan
  • mantis
    Options
    Oh by the way, it doesn't feel any lighter than my iPhone 11 Pro Max. It actually feels heavier, not that that maters to me, but it was one of the selling points and what Apple made a big deal out of the higher iPhone, nah it's not lighter. If it is, you can't notice it or at least I can't feels the same or heavier actually as I said
    Dan
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

Ohhh right, yes the lightning to 3.5mm has a built in DAC.

Apple is using this same DAC in their USB-C to 3.5mm adapter so no higher than 24-bit/48KHz

Now, mind you that's not too bad. You can't hear the difference between 48KHz and 192KHz anyways so no need to spend so much extra cash on it.

I know this isn't IPhone related (its more of a thread hijack lol) but I cant totally hear the difference between 48Khz and 192Khz.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Traded my iPhone 11 in for the iPhone 15 plus with Verizon. $275.00 out the door. I am sure there are some kool new stuff ? But I haven’t noticed anything yet? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Should we start another thread? lol
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • mantis
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Traded my iPhone 11 in for the iPhone 15 plus with Verizon. $275.00 out the door. I am sure there are some kool new stuff ? But I haven’t noticed anything yet? Peace. D

I got the Pro Max and every time I upgrade my iPhone, it's really not a big upgrade. They make small changes that really on a day to day basis for me don't make me feel like I got an upgrade. This is why I kept my 11 Pro max up until now and I had it since it came out like over 3 years ago or so.

Even going from 11 to 15 pro max, it doesn't feel faster, it absolutely isn't lighter that you can notice at all, the faster refresh rate screen , whatever it doesn't blur when you fast scroll but I could care less it doesn't make a difference to me.

So I think the only upgrade I might think was worth this will probably be the much improved camera. I take quite a bit of video and pictures so maybe that will warranty this upgrade? I thought the 11 pro max did a wonderful job at taking video and pictures, no complaints.

I think the only reason I upgraded was to get a new phone. In the past I would get a new one each year. This is the very first time I held on to one for multiple years and honestly the 11 pro max when I hit that level from the 8 and 10 ( 10 sucked) I thought there was no reason to get any better as the 11 pro max was incredible. It still is even my battery still lasts a few days.

I almost want to return the 15 pro max but I don't think I'll waste my time doing so.
    Dan
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    You can't hear the difference between 48KHz and 192KHz anyways so no need to spend so much extra cash on it.
    Chris. Top of the staircase. Now.
    Relax.
    Lean forward.

I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options

I got the Pro Max and every time I upgrade my iPhone, it's really not a big upgrade. They make small changes that really on a day to day basis for me don't make me feel like I got an upgrade. This is why I kept my 11 Pro max up until now and I had it since it came out like over 3 years ago or so.

Even going from 11 to 15 pro max, it doesn't feel faster, it absolutely isn't lighter that you can notice at all, the faster refresh rate screen , whatever it doesn't blur when you fast scroll but I could care less it doesn't make a difference to me.

So I think the only upgrade I might think was worth this will probably be the much improved camera. I take quite a bit of video and pictures so maybe that will warranty this upgrade? I thought the 11 pro max did a wonderful job at taking video and pictures, no complaints.

I think the only reason I upgraded was to get a new phone. In the past I would get a new one each year. This is the very first time I held on to one for multiple years and honestly the 11 pro max when I hit that level from the 8 and 10 ( 10 sucked) I thought there was no reason to get any better as the 11 pro max was incredible. It still is even my battery still lasts a few days.

I almost want to return the 15 pro max but I don't think I'll waste my time doing so.

Seems like their marketing Dept did their job.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    My wife has an 8 Plus. I think it’s time to upgrade. Probably won’t get that trade done for $275, though, even though we’re with Verizon, too. That’s a decent deal going from the 11 to the 15, IMO.

Brian

• mantis
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

Seems like their marketing Dept did their job.

I think phones are over powerful for common use anyway. All the things the Pro Max can do are pretty useless to most people I think. Yeah some of it's cool and I've been fooling around with it but again, I'd be totally fine staying with my 11 Pro max if I had to.
    Dan
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    How long do you have to return it, Dan? Do you still have your 11?

I think it's dumb being pushed to upgrade devices all the time, especially for minimal improvement to the user experience, as some of you have noted.

Security, compatibility, or performance issues are a different story.

I can't get Verizon to stop texting me with offers. I replied X a hundred times, fools! I'll get a new device when I'm ready. And your offers suck anyway.

I guess if you don't need or want a new device, do the math and see where you'd be in another 2 to 3 years.

Nothing wrong with regular upgrades if you like the latest. New phones are neat, and sometimes there are worthwhile updates.

I currently use Android mobile and tend to customize my devices a lot, and I don't like my stuff messed with. Kind of different with iPhones. Not a lot you can do with them in the first place so it's easier to move to new devices.

I also like to own my devices and I don't trade them in. Partly silly nostalgia, but I also keep a couple of older Android and iPhones for LMS remotes and use as Squeeze players with headphones in dirty or hazardous places where I don't want to worry about my main device. Or other functions they're still good for, like apps not available on the other. Mostly music, camera, and image related functions. Some things better on Android, others better on iOS.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    How long do you have to return it, Dan? Do you still have your 11?

I think it's dumb being pushed to upgrade devices all the time, especially for minimal improvement to the user experience, as some of you have noted.

Security, compatibility, or performance issues are a different story.

I can't get Verizon to stop texting me with offers. I replied X a hundred times, fools! I'll get a new device when I'm ready. And your offers suck anyway.

I guess if you don't need or want a new device, do the math and see where you'd be in another 2 to 3 years.

Nothing wrong with regular upgrades if you like the latest. New phones are neat, and sometimes there are worthwhile updates.

I currently use Android mobile and tend to customize my devices a lot, and I don't like my stuff messed with. Kind of different with iPhones. Not a lot you can do with them in the first place so it's easier to move to new devices.

I also like to own my devices and I don't trade them in. Partly silly nostalgia, but I also keep a couple of older Android and iPhones for LMS remotes and use as Squeeze players with headphones in dirty or hazardous places where I don't want to worry about my main device. Or other functions they're still good for, like apps not available on the other. Mostly music, camera, and image related functions. Some things better on Android, others better on iOS.

I'm gonna keep it, it's fine, just like always not this huge improvement that reviewers say over the older models. My 11 pro max does everything I need it to do and then some. I do however like the ability for 4k video and better pictures so that alone might be worth it.

I so hear you though loud and clear.
    Dan
  • VR3
    Options
    I have been using Samsung notes and currently the 22 ultra. I would consider myself a partial power user as I use my phone for work as well as personal.

I use the Microsoft launcher versus the Samsung interface.

My wife has always had an iPhone. She has a blind allegiance to Apple. In the ten years we have been together, I would say she constantly complains about slow performance, running hot, out of memory, etc.

I comparison I have never had issues with the Samsung phones and the Microsoft launcher and overall Interface is far more intuitive and efficient. I just don't understand the draw.

The iPhone 15 seems ok but as mentioned here I would only upgrade if your existing iPhone is 4 or 5 years old and even then you most likely won't notice much of a difference in the everyday use other then the camera.
  • mantis
    Options
    What's really cool about Apple is actually the software. They make small changes that you just get use to over a very short time. The dynamic Island I thought at first was stupid but after just a few days of use, I find it very useful and you just start using it without thought.

Now that I have had my 15 pro Max for while now, I'm really enjoying this upgrade. I like all the software changes and the phone screen stays incredibly clean. I find myself cleaning it way less than I did with my 11 pro max.

I'm still trying to find the right case for it, I found a few Leather cases online but what I don't like is I can't just go to a store and check it out. Cases to me I like to touch and check out before I buy.

What stores carry Leather cases?
    Dan