sda-srs crossover mod

Options
Hi.
For reasons I won't go into, I now want to defeat the "Dimensional Array" portion of these speakers & have that bank behave exactly the same as the stereo array portion.
To that end, and looking at the circuit diagram of the crosso
1) I will not connect the internet cable.
2) I will jump the Neg input of the stereo array to "other side" of the 2 parallel caps connected from the B interconnect port.

My question is about the coil that is between the Neg terminals of the speakers and the Chassis ground on the Dim Array side. There is not one in the stereo array side.
what does this coil do and should I jumper over it tho make the Dim Array sir the same as the Stereo Array side?

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,618
    Options
    Buy different speakers.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Pls don't be glib. I'm not asking for alternatives.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    Options
    We have to know the why with extreme details before we can answer
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    We're also going to need your tax returns from the last 5 years and your mother's maiden name.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    Options
    Just take out all of the wiring to the Dimensional Array side and piggy back those drivers to the Stereo Side and call it a day.

Because no matter what you do it's never going to be right anyway.

Might as well KISS..

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    You would have to redesign most of the speaker to do this and have it function properly.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Is this the original SRS-SDA with the Blade/blade interconnect ? If so you do understand that BOTH blades carry signal.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Just sell them and buy some QSC powered pro audio speakers.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    What is it with you people. STOP giving me alternatives like this
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Original SRS-SDA with Blade/blade interconnect
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Alasichuk wrote: »
    What is it with you people. STOP giving me alternatives like this
    Whether or not you want to hear it, we are being honest. The only way would be to competely redesign the entire crossover for both sides. THERE IS NO EASY WAY. Yes you could hack the snot out of it and somewhat make it make sound BUT at what cost? it would sound like SNOT.
    Original SRS-SDA with Blade/blade interconnect

Once again BOTH blades carry signal between BOTH speakers, UNLIKE the SDA-SRS1.2 in which only the pin carried signal between the speakers. STILL you would be expending HUGE amounts of money to completely build and redesign the XO. The amount of money spent doing this one could buy another set of speakers that works the way you like.

Why is it you want to do this? Please answer this, completely.

• Alasichuk
    Options
    Like I said in the beginning, I just want to make each speaker deal with its own channel. No interconnect.
    It's not up for discussion. I just want to see if I've approached this task correctly. Not whether or not to do it.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Look at the XO diagram & tell me where I'm wrong
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    Completely wrong, very bad idea. You will have lobing issues like no other, which means they will sound like a$$.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    Options
    Have you considered different speakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    what's lobing?
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    what's lobing?

This statement alone is just another reason you should sell these and get different speakers..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,387
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Lobing would only be the start. If you don't know what that is, then you should understand why people are telling you what they are.

Simply put, you will be butchering this pair of speakers.

These folks are not trying to be mean, just inform you of the truth. Unfortunately for you, the truth isn't up for debate either. It is what it is.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    But he's looked at the XO and knows what he's doing yet doesn't understand why there's not two big inductors....AND what its for 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    I'm just trying to make the Dim Array be like the stereo array
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2023
    Options
    My Polk❤️Vega SRS LSiM 3.6’s

c0y2m0uillpb.jpeg

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish? The speakers sound great The way they were designed, buy a better amp and you will see.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    If you want to run them as a conventional stereo pair, don't connect the Interconnect Cable. The Stereo Woofers will still produce their respective channel's signal, and the Dimensional Woofers, through their sub-bass drive circuit, will produce the same stereo signal below 150 Hz. This should minimize any lobing or interference from the adjacent woofers since they're not producing any sound above 150 Hz.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    OK new plan:
    2) I will take the Dim Array 2 parallel caps & the coil to ground (both on the Neg side) out of the circuit.
    3) I will jump the Neg input of the stereo array to "other side" of the 2 parallel caps connected from the B interconnect port.
    4) I will jump the connections where the coil was.

This then will take make the dim array be connected up 100% identically as the Stereo Array
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2023
    Options
    OK new plan:
    2) I will take the Dim Array 2 parallel caps & the coil to ground (both on the Neg side) out of the circuit.
    3) I will jump the Neg input of the stereo array to "other side" of the 2 parallel caps connected from the B interconnect port.
    4) I will jump the connections where the coil was.

This then will take make the dim array be connected up 100% identically as the Stereo Array
    What did you just do to the speaker impedance?

What did the impedance change, change in the crossover frequencies?

Pull the interconnect cable. Done. Don't do anything else.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I see this sort of thing all of the time at work dealing with customers. They come in and ask questions and they have a set answer in their heads (*Meaning they ONLY want to hear whatever it is that they want to hear*) Of course since the people they are asking are not mind readers, they have no idea this person has that set answer in their heads. If you do not give them the set answer that they want to hear, they resist. You could tell them they sky is blue or that god is good and if that is not what they want to hear they will debate/argue with you. The fact that you are giving them facts/the truth is completely irrelevant. THEY ONLY WANT TO HEAR WHATEVER IT IS THAT THEY WANT TO HEAR AND ANYTHING ELSE AS FAR AS THEY ARE CONCERNED IS A WASTE OF BREATH/TIME. You could tell them they are about to drive off of a cliff with whatever it is that they are suggesting, but because that is not what they want to hear then what you are saying will be ignored.

Then when they DO end up at the bottom of that cliff, they will blame YOU for not telling them what they wanted to hear/read.

Whilst I may not always agree with some of the people on here, I HAVE been here on and off for a very long time and have come to understand that a lot of the people on here know that they are talking about.
    The following may be a very crude analogy, but it hits the nail on the head here.

How many people does it take to tell you that your breath stinks before you go and brush your teeth/use some mouthwash?????
    Post edited by honestaquarian on
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Can you make a statement about that gives me some information that I can use?
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I would like to thank you sir for proving my point that I made above for me. I would wish you the best of luck, but CLEARLY that ain't whatcha wanna read, so.........................I will leave you with this old saying that you will also ignore. A hard head makes for a soft behind.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I think you want to believe that designing crossovers so that all the factors like phase, impedance, frequency response/voicing come together in a good way is easy but that's just because you don't know what you don't know.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    The ONLY thing I've heard is "don't do it"

Not one reference to the schematic or anything helpful.
    Lots of derogatory.

No help on how to make each speaker have 8 instead of 4 speakers (excluding tweeters) for its particular side.

Certainly, one of you must have enough on the ball to help me accomplish this?