CSI-A6 vs CSI-A4

Options
I currently have a 3.1 setup, with RTI-A3 fronts on stands directly on either side of the screen, with a shelf directly above the screen for my center channel. My listening position is 10' away. I am replacing my JBL 120c center channel and am considering either a CSI-A4 or A6. Physically, either speaker will fit, but I'm debating whether the A6 might be overpowering based on my listening distance. Also, which unit would be a better match for my A3's?
Polk RTIA3 Fronts
Polk CSIA4 Center
Polk PSW Sub
Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
And a friendly Labrador Retriever

Answers

• la2vegas
    Options
    I agree with @Toolfan66, go with the A6. About 7 years ago I also had the RTI-A3's initially with the A4. I felt that I was missing out when watching TV.

I shortly thereafter purchased an A6 and boy did that make a huge difference. It really bolstered my watching experience. The A4 has been in the closet ever since.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I think I should mention I'm no audiophile, as 90+% of my viewing is news channels. But I do appreciate better sound regardless of my viewing habits. My center channel shelf is wide enough for the A6, but is only 10" deep, although there is nothing behind it. That said, the A6 will need to overhang the shelf by about 4" at its rear. I assume I can place non-slip pads anywhere along its flat bottom, and that it's not rear-heavy?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    A6
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    toolbelt wrote: »
    I think I should mention I'm no audiophile, as 90+% of my viewing is news channels. But I do appreciate better sound regardless of my viewing habits. My center channel shelf is wide enough for the A6, but is only 10" deep, although there is nothing behind it. That said, the A6 will need to overhang the shelf by about 4" at its rear. I assume I can place non-slip pads anywhere along its flat bottom, and that it's not rear-heavy?

It's not Rear heavy. The weight of speakers is generally in the front where the drivers are because of how heavy the giant magnets are.

Every Polk speaker I've owned has been front heavy. Don't worry one bit about the 4" rear overhang.

And yeah I agree with everyone else on the A6. Especially as I assume you'll be buying used and the price difference between the two is minimal.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

It's not Rear heavy. The weight of speakers is generally in the front where the drivers are because of how heavy the giant magnets are.

Every Polk speaker I've owned has been front heavy. Don't worry one bit about the 4" rear overhang.

And yeah I agree with everyone else on the A6. Especially as I assume you'll be buying used and the price difference between the two is minimal.

The A6's are going for only $10 more, however, there are two considerations to take into account.

The guy selling them has lots of other listings, focused mainly on used pro-grade gym equipment and associated reception area items. My guess is he's a liquidator. My assumption is that the A6's got lots of hard use at fairly high volumes in a gym studio setting. The A4's are a private-homeowner sale.

Secondly, the A4's are Cherry finished and match my new (used) RTIA3s, and appear to be in mint condition.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • toolbelt
    Options

And Chris, wasn't it you who warned me about going down this rabbit hole?? lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options

The A6's are going for only $10 more, however, there are two considerations to take into account.

The guy selling them has lots of other listings, focused mainly on used pro-grade gym equipment and associated reception area items. My guess is he's a liquidator. My assumption is that the A6's got lots of hard use at fairly high volumes in a gym studio setting. The A4's are a private-homeowner sale.

Secondly, the A4's are Cherry finished and match my new (used) RTIA3s, and appear to be in mint condition.

I'd personally pick better sound over a finish but that's me (ignore the fact I spent years looking for a CS1000p with a specific finish). The A6 will provide deeper bass and that's very good for male voices. If the difference between the A4 and A6 is anything like the difference between the CS245i and CS400i, which I own both of, then yeah the A6 is going to be worth if.

If you're concerned about it being driven hard, just check for signs of cosmetic use and also apply even pressure on the driver and move them in and out and feel for scratching. If it scratches then it's bad.
  • ChrisD06
    Options

Probably. I'm an enabler though.
  • toolbelt
    Options

Probably. I'm an enabler though.

You and that telekinesis lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    A6, all day everyday and twice on Sundays
  • toolbelt
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You must really be a fan of Anderson Cooper? lol
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options

Nope!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options

FTG..
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    A6 if you can possibly fit it. Always go with the biggest center possible, all other things being equal…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BarbaraMohr
    Options
    I appreciate all for the advice, I will keep it in my mind.
  • toolbelt
    Options

Ok, so I went and looked at the A6's and as suspected, they had plenty of wear on them, including a chunk missing out of a rear corner. So, I ended up getting the A4's. They are definitely enough speaker for my needs and I haven't even fine tuned my settings yet. They were in pristine condition and I love the cherry finish to match the A3's. Now I just have to figure out where to park the 4 RC Heli's I usually parked on my old flat-topped JBL center. :/
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options

Ok, so I went and looked at the A6's and as suspected, they had plenty of wear on them, including a chunk missing out of a rear corner. So, I ended up getting the A4's. They are definitely enough speaker for my needs and I haven't even fine tuned my settings yet. They were in pristine condition and I love the cherry finish to match the A3's. Now I just have to figure out where to park the 4 RC Heli's I usually parked on my old flat-topped JBL center. :/

Good choice. Severe cosmetic wear is a guaranteed pass.
  • toolbelt
    Options

Good choice. Severe cosmetic wear is a guaranteed pass.

All things being equal, I likely would have gone for the A6, but the A4 is no slouch, especially in my 10 x 14 room. Must say I love the cherry finish. It's kinda modern and retro all in one package.
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Congrats. Hope it sounds great for you
    Randy/Maine