Options
13»

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    chrispyfur wrote: »
    hn8mjddole4f.jpg

Should be in the " You're doing it wrong" thread....
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Serious question. Who the heck is Chrispyfur

He's our PFB reincarnated.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    I had to do some digging to figure out what a PFB was, but I found some pretty funny old threads.

I've never owned a Porsche and I don't wear skinny jeans!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    halo71 wrote: »
    Serious question. Who the heck is Chrispyfur

He's our PFB reincarnated.
    Lol, stop that, no he's not. Dude had a bad day, and, with some strong opinions and in a state of delirium with notion of blowing off steam in camaradic banter, he mistakenly stumbled into this den of you we hyenas, who showed no mercy and gave no quarter after he voiced those globally incorrect perspectives. I suspect likely due to low blood sugar or missing his lunch of dinosaur nuggets and smiley potatoes.

Oh, and side note, I received a messidge from @chrispyfur saying - and I swear, I'm not making this up, you guys know me :

"Any Polk soundbar will trounce all Polk speakers, and easily outlast them in reliability. Even the Legends, Reserves, and especially modded vintage SDAs. The RTA15TLs are on par with the soundbars, though. My internet will be out for a day or two, would you post this to the forum for me, please?"

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    chrispyfur wrote: »
    I had to do some digging to figure out what a PFB was, but I found some pretty funny old threads.

I've never owned a Porsche and I don't wear skinny jeans!

There's still time.

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Interesting. Back to the original topic, I’d happily spend that extra on crossovers that are that significantly upgraded. High quality crossover components are not cheap. I’d love to get my ears on the R200AEs someday.

Zach, you mean on having R200 standards crossovers upgraded, or simply on buying/hearing broken/burned-in R200AEs?

During my audition of the AEs, after expressing being on the fence, it was pointed out to me by a senior trusted member, who's not steered me wrong yet, that one could complete preferred custom crossover mods on the standards with some of that cost differential. This made sense from a performance perspective, though would mean forgoing the cabs and collector plaquard.

The cabinets on the AEs are pretty nice, though, albeit, not a color I would typically choose. It was a tough choice to let them go, given the opportunity for a collectors run, but I already had L200s, as well, so it didn't make sense at all.

But... what about picking up AEs, and custom crossover upgrades down the road to further enhance?

I do very mildly regret having given up the opportunity from the collector's perspective, but they just wouldn't have seen use, given my current enjoyment levels with other speakers, which aren't going anywhere, and so that would have been slipping into hoarderingmanship.

I disabled signatures.
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Lol, stop that, no he's not. Dude had a bad day, and...

Hey look at this, I've got a real friend here coming to bail me out of this....

"Any Polk soundbar will trounce all Polk speakers, and easily outlast them in reliability. Even the Legends, Reserves, and especially modded vintage SDAs. The RTA15TLs are on par with the soundbars, though. My internet will be out for a day or two, would you post this to the forum for me, please?"

Oof.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    D@mn, you’re having a little too much fun around here for a Monday morning, @msg!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    From a performance standpoint.....I wouldn't consider the the AE's, as has been noted, you can have them tricked out (although how far I'd go down this rabbit hole is limited...) and do way better for the money, I suppose.

The interest would be for sentimentality/collection value (not for monetary appreciation, for sure)

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    edited August 2023
    Options

Oh, and side note, I received a messidge from @chrispyfur saying - and I swear, I'm not making this up, you guys know me :

A closet 15TL admirer!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

A closet 15TL admirer!

He's got 4 pairs and runs them on their sides because then the tweeter is closer to his ear level.....
  • msg
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    bcwsrt wrote: »

A closet 15TL admirer!
    He's got 4 pairs and runs them on their sides because then the tweeter is closer to his ear level.....
    SOB!
    They do work well as centers like this.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Interesting. Back to the original topic, I’d happily spend that extra on crossovers that are that significantly upgraded. High quality crossover components are not cheap. I’d love to get my ears on the R200AEs someday.

Zach, you mean on having R200 standards crossovers upgraded, or simply on buying/hearing broken/burned-in R200AEs?

During my audition of the AEs, after expressing being on the fence, it was pointed out to me by a senior trusted member, who's not steered me wrong yet, that one could complete preferred custom crossover mods on the standards with some of that cost differential. This made sense from a performance perspective, though would mean forgoing the cabs and collector plaquard.

The cabinets on the AEs are pretty nice, though, albeit, not a color I would typically choose. It was a tough choice to let them go, given the opportunity for a collectors run, but I already had L200s, as well, so it didn't make sense at all.

But... what about picking up AEs, and custom crossover upgrades down the road to further enhance?

I do very mildly regret having given up the opportunity from the collector's perspective, but they just wouldn't have seen use, given my current enjoyment levels with other speakers, which aren't going anywhere, and so that would have been slipping into hoarderingmanship.

I meant I’d be happy spending the extra coin at the beginning, buying the AE given the crossover work. I considered picking up a pair but really have no use for them other than curiosity. They are a beautiful speaker for sure

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Called into a HI-FI shop today and by pure chance they had the R200 and the 200AE side by side. Both hooked up to the same entry level Yamaha 2 channel amp using the same speaker cables. One to speaker A and one to B. Identical stands. Was just in an open floor environment part of the shop so not the ideal acoustic environment but same for both speakers.
    I could stand back and the sales guy switched back and forth between the two for a few different songs. I could here a difference in the two quite easily. The AE were slightly more extended in the top end and slightly more prominent midrange. Sounded more mature and refined. Not night and day difference but noticeable. Just thought it was worth putting it here.

I posted the above in the comments section of the Andrew Robinson review of the R200AE..