Polk Audio RTA 11T passive radiator rattle at full excursion

Options
nesman321
nesman321 Posts: 17
edited August 2023 in Vintage Speakers
i just bought these Polk Audio RTA 11T from facebook market place and when i play them at a louder volume the passive radiator rattling at full excursion. i took the passive radiator out and they look fine but i notice the rattling it coming from the polk audio sw83 passive radiator any ideas what it could be

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    One or both speakers?

Check for seperation between the spider and the foam cone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nesman321
    Options
    on both of them and il look at them again but i don't think i saw any separation
  • F1nut
    Options
    If there's no damage to the PR's it could be the speakers have air leaks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nesman321
    Options
    il look to see but these cabinets look in excellent condition no scratches or anything I doubt there an air leak that caused it and they look really good you can even see the bead of glue inside the cabinet where the joints meet it just sucks cause they sound really good until you go to louder were you can hear the passive radiator hit the back of the spider cage I think
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    What exactly is LOUDER VOLUME? What gear are you running?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited August 2023
    Options
    nesman321 wrote: »
    on both of them and il look at them again but i don't think i saw any separation

You may have to extend the cone carefully and evenly with your fingers to see the possible crack in the spider, which would probably be near the center somewhere. It might only open up near full extension. I think it is a lot more common for a midwoofer to be the source of the noise but you say you're sure it is the passive.

You could have a gasket that isn't sealing properly even if the joints of your enclosures are not leaking.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nesman321
    Options
    i was testing it with my Yamaha HTR-5540 and I was playing at a louder volume that was hard to hear someone talking next to me.I might try another receiver but have to wait for everybody to wake up first in my house
  • nesman321
    edited August 2023
    Options
    so I tried it with my realistic sta-2600 receiver and it did the same thing. so I pulled the passive radiator out and I push on it to see if there were any damage on the cone or the spider and it look really good to me. while I had the passive radiator out I hold it up against the passive radiator hole with my hand and I notice it make the noise when it bottoms out on the basket so is there suppose to be something like foam to keep it from doing that? I'm going to add pic where I press on it to show the spider but they're not the best pics
    v3hkyl59ckeh.jpg
    u6w9sdxkmo10.jpg
    bv5vq8b68toa.jpg
    hpbnonquwfrv.jpg
    z9q2pyqdlze7.jpg
    jo1wxna4cjgh.jpg
    xf4hddkw05q5.jpg
    hmswy51r92cp.jpg
    2tby22z91uyt.jpg
    h4kb2snrinov.jpg
    47ifc2a4596d.jpg
    6qxueqyav6gk.jpg
    k9qtmxtv8qdl.jpg
    ss97j328w5ug.jpg
    n3ujib5z8qiq.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    To check for a worn out suspension (too compliant) see how much weight placed in the center of the cones on each one, in order for the cone to contact the basket. I would think there'd be plenty of clearance for normal operation.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    To check for a worn out suspension (too compliant) see how much weight placed in the center of the cones on each one, in order for the cone to contact the basket. I would think there'd be plenty of clearance for normal operation.

Key words, “Normal Operation”

Key Comment, “I was testing it with my Yamaha HTR-5540 and I was playing at a louder volume that was hard to hear someone talking next to me.”
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    i was testing it with my Yamaha HTR-5540 and I was playing at a louder volume that was hard to hear someone talking next to me.I might try another receiver but have to wait for everybody to wake up first in my house

There was only one Polk speaker that was actually designed to go to 11. @ken brydson has one, but the 11T, despite its model number, isn't it.

What kind of music are you playing? If you're seeing actual full excursion of the passive, you're playing it too loud. Can't imagine what the mids are doing at that point.

For that use case, you might need some Cerwin-Vegas, or something covered with carpet and metal corner protectors.

I am curious, though, what the problem is,and whether the passive is damaged.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I forgot that model has cone type PR's, so there is no Styrofoam.

Air leaks can be from numerous causes, you have to do the air leak test. Press the bottom PR in and while holding it in watch the mid-drivers. They should pop out then slowly recede taking at least 3 seconds to rest. Anything less means you have an air leak.

That said, the sound you are hearing is
    more likely the mid-drivers being overdrive by subpar amplification.

President of Club Polk

• nesman321
    Options
    well I just play dire straight so far away of my sacd through my realistic sta 2600 and it was decent volume but it still did it with music that was less bass heavy and il try other things you guys suggest thanks for the help
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    This isn't the 1st time this has happened to rta11 or RTA15tl speakers. It's just finding the issue that is causing it. We all like listening to music loud. So don't be offended if some say turn it down or get a pair of Cerwin Vegas :)
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This is why I bought spare parts for my RTA15tl speakers years back. eBay & forum can be helpful. Hope you find issue & enjoy them. The 11's are well liked here. Keep in mind they are 30+ year old speakers & probably need crossover upgrades as well. So be easy on em
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • nesman321
    edited August 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I forgot that model has cone type PR's, so there is no Styrofoam.

Air leaks can be from numerous causes, you have to do the air leak test. Press the bottom PR in and while holding it in watch the mid-drivers. They should pop out then slowly recede taking at least 3 seconds to rest. Anything less means you have an air leak.

so i did what you said and i press on the passive radiator and as soon as i let go the mid drivers recede on both speakers so i guess there a air leak i don't know
  • nesman321
    Options
    so i did what you said and i press on the passive radiator and as soon as i let go the mid drivers recede on both speakers so i guess there a air leak i don't know
  • F1nut
    Options

You didn't follow my instructions.

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    Options

Hold in on passive lightly & count how long woofers stay out.
    Randy/Maine
  • nesman321
    Options
    ok sorry i misunderstood so when i press and hold on the passive radiator on both speakers the mid woofers pop out a little bit and don't recede in till i let go and hold my hand on the bottom one for 10 second on each
  • F1nut
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Ok, you definitely do not have an air leak.

I would pull the mid-drivers to inspect the cone to spider seam. It may look ok to the eye, so you have to get in there and gently press down on the spider going all around looking for any separation.

You should check all the PR's the same way.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    In addition to what I said previously about checking the compliance of each passive, check to see if the one that is making the noise has had a tuning weight fall off of it. It would be in the bottom of the speaker presumably.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    I've seen the edge of spider separate from the basket and had to re-glue them.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • nesman321
    Options
    ok so I look at the spider cage and the two woofers look very good the other two I think they look fine but I will include the first five pics of the one that has a small brown spot on the cage I don't think it is a hole and il include the other woofer pics but they go up and down fine and I don't see a rip and I notice is that the right speaker passive radiator vibrate at the same volume when the left one doesn't. unless I go louder I wonder if a thin piece of foam would help to cushion the passive radiator from bottoming out it happened at lower notes too cause I notice only once or twice when I played my sacd copy of dark side of the moon it happened on the songs breath and on the run. at louder volume so maybe I need to hook up my sub to help balance it out. but I also played a copy of my nas god's son album and at the same volume as yesterday it didn't do it unless I turn it up but i still don't get why the right one does it when the left doesn't at the same volume but sound way better than yesterday and i made sure to screw them down good when i put the woofer back and had to fix the wiring cause it was all tangle up inside so il try the other thing you guys recommend and thank for helping me to make sure these speakers is up to spec
    mok1qq7tbr7h.jpg
    ov648zp8ifl5.jpg
    9xrb4op1kmgu.jpg
    udhok4npbhtt.jpg
    hs5ikz89xqvk.jpg
    5y42do1qbiep.jpg
    7qhim9g2wmx9.jpg
    ab8ewu8hjtso.jpg
    h2m0pei2t37z.jpg
    tmfc7229nu3y.jpg
    ivjayf1rq7s9.jpg
    k7eig9q5av0b.jpg
    0t1ui6skffwt.jpg
    ftluz0yiun8t.jpg
    1s5fqnvb5v4r.jpg

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Great photo examples.

If I missed this, apologies:

Did you swap passives between cabinets?

Just swap 'em and see if the problem moves to the other side, or stays.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • F1nut
    Options
    Paragraphs and punctuation, please!

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    May I ask where your bass and treble setting are?
  • nesman321
    Options
    I don't know why it post it twice. anyways there at the default settings, the bass and treble settings and I'm going to swap the passive to see if that makes it happen on the left one first then the right one to see if makes a change.
  • Toolfan66
    edited August 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Paragraphs and punctuation, please!

This^^^^
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Seems to me you are just playing them to loud.

At the levels I listen to I can still talk to someone so if you can't I would say you are listening very, very loud
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.