Danny at GR beats up on the ole Lsi9!

Options
Hansvelton
Hansvelton Posts: 151
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDXy78auBA&t=634s

(About 7 minutes in, he begins....)

During his big "shootout" he quite bashes one of our forum favorites. I guess technically some is true, especially the impedance, but wow, he never mentions even playing music on them. A shame, as one of my favorite smaller speakers from that era!

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Talk about the LSi9 begins around minute 7. The impedance drop on the LSi line and the genuine 4 ohm nominal load has been known to be problematic for a long time, which is why people on this forum have recommended against driving them with AV receivers. Receivers have got better in the last 20 years at power delivery but a separate amp is still best with that speaker line. FWIW I don't consider a 2.7 ohm dip to be a problem for a separate amp like the Outlaw 5000x, Parasound A52, or Parasound A23. Any separate amp or integrated amp should be able to easily drive that speaker with no strain. Some receivers can power them just fine too.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Doink! "There's no fixing this. Go find another speaker. Start over". LOL
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Well, everyone has their own opinion and the LSi9 (AFAIK) wasn't built specifically for HT and damned sure wasn't specifically built to be powered by an HT setup alone. It's a bookie that can serve dual use for HT and straight up 2 channel. While it's not the best speaker out there, neither are any that I have heard from Danny.....or any that Danny has been involved with designing.

He likes to dampen his speakers and room to where the life of the music is simply sucked out. Whether or not he's trying to achieve a perfectly flat response, I have heard this as well (flat response). It's not what I would say, "preferred".

As for the front ports, that design along with the (I believe it's called the "Power Port") port at the back of the speaker, it allows the user to not be so limited in setting the speaker so far out in the room. Their is a purpose for that.

That said, dropping down to 2.7oms? LOL.....come on man. Danny, if you match the amp properly with the speaker, there are no issues powering these speakers. Some reviews are funny to me and speaker manufacturers shouldn't earn business by bashing other's products, IMNSHO.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    I’m glad I don’t listen to people like this to make my purchase decisions. I just don’t have the patience to sit and watch stuff like this. I’m just a simple guy that wants to listen to music and hear what everyday people have to say about gear, and music.

I’m not saying anything bad about this guy or others that find it entertaining or educational. It’s just not for me..
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    The audio industry has really changed in the time I have been interested in it. I have stopped listening to all but a few individuals.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The arc, acoustic resonant control, ports on the front of the cabinet are tuned to the resonant frequency of the cabinet of I remember correctly.

I will agree with Dannie that their location next to the tweeter is pretty silly

Acoustic Resonance Control: Sound emanating from the back of the driver creates an "organ pipe" resonance at a frequency that is a function of the depth of the cabinet. This internal cabinet resonance can impart a thick character to voices. Polk's patented Acoustic Resonance Control (ARC) port system overcomes this problem. In addition to the Power Ports on the rear of the cabinet, Polk uses small ports on the front tuned to suppress the internal cabinet resonance. Thanks to patented ARC technology, you'll enjoy clear and natural midrange.

s44cs0bdo60d.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    Based on the first 5 mins it seems he would like the SL2000 12k peak.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    After listening to the lsi9's back in the day I passed & bought a pair of lsi7's & used them on a HK525 receiver 2 channel with sub and it sounded phenomenal for what they were. Can't remember if they were 4 ohm / never a issue
    Randy/Maine
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Haven't watched the video yet, but I remember going back and forth listening to the Lsi7 and Lsi9, many, many times before not pulling the trigger.

I wanted the Lsi9 in a big way, but for music they had this slight deep bass that I couldn't remove, and the Lsi7 needed just a slight bump in bass but didn't want to use a sub.

IMO, both the Lsi7 and Lsi9 were equally distant on terms of bass response from what could have been a perfect Lsi8 if that makes sense.

I still like the Lsi9, just couldn't justify them back in the day.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Haven't watched the video yet, but I remember going back and forth listening to the Lsi7 and Lsi9, many, many times before not pulling the trigger.

I wanted the Lsi9 in a big way, but for music they had this slight deep bass that I couldn't remove, and the Lsi7 needed just a slight bump in bass but didn't want to use a sub.

IMO, both the Lsi7 and Lsi9 were equally distant on terms of bass response from what could have been a perfect Lsi8 if that makes sense.

I still like the Lsi9, just couldn't justify them back in the day.

THIS will sound odd, but I had the Lsi9 for years, used with a sub crossed at about 80hz, and it was great, but later got a pair of Rti6, and liked the bass somewhat better than the Lsi9 for sure, but they were a bit too bright overall.

Have the Rti6 sitting in spare room, maybe need to pull them out for a listen again!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2023
    Options
    A beautiful thing about speakers is they are voiced differently according to how the designer wanted them to sound. Thankfully, there are a lot of choices. They also have to hit a price point so the speakers will sell. Just because a speaker model measures something different from flat frequency response doesn't make them bad. Interaction with most rooms is going to affect what's heard anyway.

The RTi series of speakers is excellent for home theater to my ears. Exciting to listen to action movies on them. Some people also like them for music. Ears hear things differently too!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I don't know when the vid was made but so what.
    This is like thinking about old girlfriends you will never have
    again and comparing. Polk moved forward.

I guess we all like to tinker...

more random thoughts;
    I'm not sure I want ruler flat. I rarely use the tone
    controls on my Yamaha. When inserting an EQ into
    the mix in general I don't like a smiley face but a
    little smirk isn't bad.
    Post edited by SIHAB on
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    ... When inserting an EQ into
    the mix in general I don't like a smiley face but a
    little smirk isn't bad.

Stealin' that, I am. B)

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    To me , I owned them the LSI9's where a flawed speaker. I tried so hard to enjoy them in the time I owned them but they where my least favorite out of the entire LSI line, which I owned all of it except the LSI25's. They where pretty remarkable and I almost picked a setup to replace my then LSI15's. I thought the LSI25's sounded alot better overall. But I didn't at that time want yet another powered tower.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    Options
    I loved my LSi9's for years running on a Carver m4.0 (and VR3 modded crossovers). eff this goddamn hack...lol

That said I did move to R200's....which will be my last speaker. they way they fill my living room/Dining room combo is utterly absurd for a bookshelf. I NEVER A/B'd them with the 9's....I think I'm subconsciously afraid to do so.

Meanwhile I got 2 pairs of LSi9's, a center, and a pair of LSi15's collecting dust in my closet for ....god.....YEARS
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    "....which will be my last speaker."

:)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    In re: the post above:
    never say "never"...
    B)