Stylus cleaning method

Options
Looking for the best way to clean my stylus?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,480
    Options
    2013cossj wrote: »
    Looking for the best way to clean my stylus?

I don't know about "best", but there are a few different methods out there. Might have to try some and decide for yourself which you prefer.

You can buy one of the sticky things like the Onzow Zerodust, a cleaning brush and fluid like the one Vinyl Styl offers, and/or some people like the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser thing method.

https://www.vinylstyl.com/accessories/

Have you tried anything yet? Is there anything in particular you're looking to do or problems you've had with certain methods?
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    As already mentioned, lots of different options out there, all yielding similar results. But the BEST way to keep your stylus clean is to keep your RECORDS clean.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    Ortofon recommends a simple stylus brush and a simple cleaning method. Nothing else is required. Given the low cost I'd just get a name brand one or two. I also agree that clean records reduce the need for cleaning the stylus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rpR_OsSjb0
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This stuff by Record Doctor seems to work well https://www.audioadvisor.com/new-rdscf . I've also used Magic Eraser with success. Microscope shows good results. Just be careful not to apply too much force, especially lateral as you could bend the stylus. With the Magic Eraser, I just cut a little piece thick enough that when I lower the arm it gently sets the stylus onto the foam and apply no other force.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    My stylus hasn't had a spec of dust on it since my streamer arrived a couple months ago :) . One less thing to worry about.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The (very) old Discwasher SC-1 brush still seems to me to be a good choice. It needs to be used with a fluid with very good wetting characteristics. "Real" Discwasher fluid has gone the way of low interest rates ;) but a reasonable facsimile can be concocted with high quality distilled or RODI water, a little (in the vicinity of 10 to 20% v/v) ethanol or methanol (if the former, it needs to be non denatured, or denatured with something benign for the application such as methanol) and a wee bit of a nonionic surfactant like Triton TX-100.

Just remember to brush "with" the cantilever, not against it. ;) Failure to comply will result in pronounced melancholy.

34459463201_5b723e1624_b.jpgDiscKit: Discwasher, D3 fluid, Zerostat, SC-1 Stylus cleaner 1978 by Jussi, on Flickr

13313652683_f9394e2912_b.jpg

My purchased-new SC-1 is visible at the front left of the photo above. I am still rockin' a little bit of vintage DIII fluid.