Oppenheimer

Options
Just finished it about 40 minutes ago in IMAX. Honestly the best movie I've seen. Love films from Nolan.

Anyone else see it? What are your thoughts?

The soundtrack was incredible by the way... I mean, wow.

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,944
    edited July 2023
    Options
    My wife wants to see it badly, guess I better make that happen..
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    But are you gonna go back for Barbie?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    But are you gonna go back for Barbie?

Not sure. I might just watch it in my HT. Definitely cannot wait to hear Oppenheimer on my Polks, holy smokes man
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,342
    Options
    We saw this Saturday - fantastic film! It really captures the “single-mindedness” of true genius… No spoilers, just go see it:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    Saw it this past weekend. Extremely disappointed.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    My wife and I loved it. Acting was amazing all around. Kudos to Robert Downey Junior and Cillian Murphy, but the whole cast was great.
  • msg
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Oh, no. Don't tell me - was there a cliffhanger?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    My wife and I loved it. Acting was amazing all around. Kudos to Robert Downey Junior and Cillian Murphy, but the whole cast was great.

I don't think anyone could have quite pulled off the role like Cillian Murphy did.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Saw it, loved it. I expect several Oscar nominations and wins.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    The cliffhanger in my mind was...when will this movie end.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,342
    Options
    adb3da wrote: »

In a sane world, YES - solid contender for several Oscar awards. However, this film does not meet the academy’s new DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) standards that go into effect in 2024. Even though historically accurate, the lack of “diversity” in the cast is a prohibiting factor for award consideration.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ChrisD06
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »

In a sane world, YES - solid contender for several Oscar awards. However, this film does not meet the academy’s new DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) standards that go into effect in 2024. Even though historically accurate, the lack of “diversity” in the cast is a prohibiting factor for award consideration.

It's not woke enough!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    I just heard about this film 2 days ago.

I can't imagine what all of the fuss is about. I mean, I already know how it ends.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options

56t7a2hjind4.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I just heard about this film 2 days ago.

I can't imagine what all of the fuss is about. I mean, I already know how it ends.

Not with a bang but a whimper.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,944
    Options

Well when your not part of the Alphabet Gang they throw another dart at the board..
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,118
    edited July 2023
    Options

Along with what has been mentioned above, this movie also depicts the development and use of atomic weapons against poor innocent people by an evil, imperialist aggressor nation. There is no way the academy allows this travesty to stand by giving it a nomination . ;););)B)B)o:)
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    edited July 2023
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    56t7a2hjind4.png

Loved that movie! I often wondered what the MOS designation was for "In Flight Missile Repair". :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I gave the Oppenheimer soundtrack a listen on my RT3000p today. Sounded better than IMAX.

"Can you hear the music", "American Promethius", and "Destroyer of worlds" are my favorite tracks.
  • msg
    Options
    It couldn't have been worse than Mr. Holland's Opus?
    I disabled signatures.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options

a very, VERY sad state of affairs . . . unfortunately accurate
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Or Roman Polanski's Tess (i.e., Tess of the d'Urbervilles).
    I took Mrs. H (back when she was still Ms P) to see it at Hopkins on one of our first actual dates. Lord was it grueling. It was beautifully filmed, and there was Nastassja Kinski to distract at least visually from the tedium and the overwhelming, soul crushing bleakness of the story. :#

ivf0jd1foazh.png
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Mr. Holland’s Opus was a beautiful film.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Or Roman Polanski's Tess (i.e., Tess of the d'Urbervilles).
    I took Mrs. H (back when she was still Ms P) to see it at Hopkins on one of our first actual dates. Lord was it grueling. It was beautifully filmed, and there was Nastassja Kinski to distract at least visually from the tedium and the overwhelming, soul crushing bleakness of the story. :#

ivf0jd1foazh.png

First film my wife and is saw won all kinds of awards… Gladiator

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    Life’s too short
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options

I'll state the obvious . . . . 2024 henceforth, awards (oscar, or otherwise) mean NOTHING . . .

JUST LIKE a participation trophy
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    The English Patient - hands down. Longest 160 minutes of my life (and I am really old).
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    Options
    I watched the first hour of the civil war movie Gods and Generals from 2003 tonight with a run time of 280 minutes. I gave up when I realized there were another three and a half hours to slog through consisting mainly of men in fake beards talking with badly put on southern accents and sounding like Foghorn Leghorn. Should have called it Egads and Generals.