My Harmony One died.

Options
2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    @Ricardo …. But some extra on eBay.

I am buying 2-3 Harmony remotes as backups and if I get lucky an Elite or two
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,493
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Good News.....looks like I will be enjoying my 950 for a few more years. It turns out you can't use just any cable to connect with the PC. It HAS to be the micro USB that came with the remote. Go figure.....

I had it in a drawer and tried it....voila.

Life is good.

Definitely do not toss it or lose it, I made that mistake cleaning out all my old "phone" cables and tossed out the one I needed to recharge a big battery I used in travel. I hadn't traveled in a length of time and boy was I scrambling to find another to use. I now tie it with an old shoestring to the battery to avoid that mistake in the future.
    Glad to hear you got it going :D;)

This is why I subscribe to @""Tony M"''s former philosophy of "Keep everything".
    Purging only guarantees that you will need one of those purged items within 2 weeks. It's a scientific fact. Even Myth Busters couldn't bust it.

@Ricardo - glad you got it sorted. To your question, I'm using older URC MX-800 remotes. 20 device capable. They're not very easy to program at first, but you get the hang of it. And you can save configurations. The software stopped updating years ago (maybe still does for techs; URC were stingy Fs about that), but you can learn-in OE remotes for newer stuff. You can also program macros. I still really enjoy using them. Nice ergos and feel.

A while back, I was looking for a Harmony-esque type remote for a system I was building for a gf. Something easy and modern, and wound up looking at the Sofa Batons. I never got around to trying one. I think I read mixed reviews or couldn't decide for some other reason, but that's probably where I'd start if I absolutely had to upgrade.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I just refuse to overpay for a harmony, but In all honesty I have not checked ebay. Will take a look.

I do save more stuff than I should. I am well familiar with the concept of needing it a couple of weeks after you throw it away.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I have a couple Harmony One remotes. Fortunately, they have been working without issues. But, but, I've had issues with the replacement batteries. Seems the third party batteries aren't up to the task. I'd hate to find a new solution. They've done everything I could want.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    Options
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Ricardo
    Options
    izafar wrote: »

Seems like the only alternative. Heard not so good things about the U1 and U2. Had not seen this one. Not cheap, and looks like the programming is not as straight forward as the Harmony. But still an option.

Can be a project......

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    @Ricardo Sound and vision did a review in the june/july issue. take a look if you have not.
  • Ricardo
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    @Ricardo Sound and vision did a review in the june/july issue. take a look if you have not.

Wow. Not even 3 stars.

erldil8jn4u9.png

SOPA
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,399
    Options
    Ouch.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,216
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I use a Harmony Hub for my living room and a Harmony 700 for my theater setup. I am hoping the hub lasts for some time. I can control the Hub with a phone app if the physical remote dies. I have a few spare Harmony 676 that are in varying states of usefulness. All the 676 have become sticky due to the soft touch coating. I've scraped it off two of them so they are smooth in hand now, but I think the D-pad is screwed up on one and they all need button replacement kits (eBay). Cleaning with isopropyl doesn't work after a certain point. I think I screwed up the back lighting on one of them as well by trying to repair the d-pad. It is sad that Logitech abandoned what was easily the best product on the market. I guess market was shrinking with the trend of people using Smart TVs and soundbars, which typically all run off HDMI CEC and can be controlled with the TV remote. On the high end of things, there are still expensive programmable options that the custom installers can use. For the DIY home theater enthusiast, sadly, there is void now.

I have a couple other universal remotes but they are not as easy to use as the Harmony models. That old One For All was pretty useful back in the day because URC would allow you to do updates using an audio file (sounded like old dial in modems). The remote has a microphone that can listen for the modem sounds and update the firmware. I used it to add some obscure Sony ES gear to the codes. It is still far less capable than a Harmony.

18h3d7v450u2.jpg
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I have a couple Harmony One remotes. Fortunately, they have been working without issues. But, but, I've had issues with the replacement batteries. Seems the third party batteries aren't up to the task. I'd hate to find a new solution. They've done everything I could want.

If you need some suggestions let me know.

So far I’ve had nothing but success with non-OEM batteries.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    The Sofabaton remotes are trash. Not even close to a Harmony replacement.

One of my Harmony remotes got destroyed by the dog and I started looking for a replacement.

Ordered their U2 remote as it was a secondary system and didn’t need anything too fancy.

It was a PIA to use/setup and constantly wouldn’t respond to commands without multiple presses.

Left a poor review and set up a return (Amazon).

Got a message from Sofabaton about my review and they wanted to send me the new X1 to make up for the bad experience. I told them to go ahead if they wanted to send one.

It came in and was also a piece of trash. Set up is terrible and not intuitive. Several commands for my Sony TV had to be manually learned and settings had to be fiddled with to get many things to function. Apple TV was hard to get to pair and again, clunky to operate.

Then the hub for the X1…

It needed to be unplugged and power cycled pretty much daily as it would stop responding to the remote.

My favorite part, after the X1 was delivered Sofabaton emailed me trying to get me to delete or change my review for the original remote. not in direct language and they tried to strongly insinuate.

When I emailed them back and asked for them to tell me exactly what they were looking for and to be clear about it, they emailed back saying the email was sent to the wrong person and I should ignore it.

Basically, the positive reviews are fake or paid for.