NAD Streaming Amps

Options
bem
bem Posts: 102
I'm looking for some input on a streaming amp for my family room audio/TV room. I have Roon and I'm a Tidal subscriber so I'm looking for a streamer/amp that will allow me to connect my TV, Apple TV, and DVD player and utilize my Tidal subscription. I've been looking around and I'm considering the NAD C389 with the BlueOS module. List price is about $2100 but it can be bought for less. Does anyone have any experience with these NAD amps? Also if anyone has any other suggestions on how I might do this, I'd appreciate the input. As for speakers I'm currently using an inherited pair of Polk Monitor Series 11T's. I'll probably be selling these in the near future. Not sure yet about what I'd consider for replacements.

Comments

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 676
    Options
    I'm absolutely no expert on streaming devices, but I did sit and listen to the NAD M33 at Audiolab in Morrisville PA and I was extremely impressed. The M33 has a very good phono section, if you have a turntable. Admittedly, I anticipated disappointment since it uses digital amplifier technology, but it was excellent.

ho6vqfj4rvtx.jpg
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • bem
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. The more I look into things I’m starting to think that I may consider going into separates like a streaming DAC and a good quality integrated amp. Along with this I’ve decided to increase my budget to around 3K for the electronics. As I said the old Polk Monitor 11t’s will not be around much longer. I’m actually looking at used pair of speaker to replace them. I have a chance to pick up a used pair of speakers made by Spendor. While not inexpensive they sound great and will fit the room location nicely without causing WAF issues. I’m still not certain yet. This project started out as simple family room audio improvement project and is taking me to areas where I really shouldn’t be going. I think it’s called “scope creep”.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    bem wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments. The more I look into things I’m starting to think that I may consider going into separates like a streaming DAC and a good quality integrated amp. Along with this I’ve decided to increase my budget to around 3K for the electronics. As I said the old Polk Monitor 11t’s will not be around much longer. I’m actually looking at used pair of speaker to replace them. I have a chance to pick up a used pair of speakers made by Spendor. While not inexpensive they sound great and will fit the room location nicely without causing WAF issues. I’m still not certain yet. This project started out as simple family room audio improvement project and is taking me to areas where I really shouldn’t be going. I think it’s called “scope creep”.

It’s the nature of the hobby beast.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    newbie308 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely no expert on streaming devices, but I did sit and listen to the NAD M33 at Audiolab in Morrisville PA and I was extremely impressed. The M33 has a very good phono section, if you have a turntable. Admittedly, I anticipated disappointment since it uses digital amplifier technology, but it was excellent.

ho6vqfj4rvtx.jpg

You’ve got me thinking about the C700 and M10 for the office system.

Been considering a small, lifestyle all-in-one dac/amp/streamer.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • bem
    Options
    I’ve had experience with the Bluesound POWERNODE which I believe uses the same amplifier technology as the C700. It’s actually pretty good. It’s about $900. It doesn’t have the display screen like the C700. I’ve been using it on my “interim” system.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    I’ve had experience with the Bluesound POWERNODE which I believe uses the same amplifier technology as the C700. It’s actually pretty good. It’s about $900. It doesn’t have the display screen like the C700. I’ve been using it on my “interim” system.

What separates are you considering?

• bem
    Options
    Too early to say. I’m just starting down this new path . Given that I’m really not looking for a lot of inputs, an integrated amp may be be overkill. I may only need the ability to stream Tidal and connect to an Apple TV, DVD player and a television. I know I can connect the DVD player and Apple TV to the HDMI inputs on the TV and use HDMI (ARC) as an input to the streamer. I’m thinking that maybe a streaming DAC with outputs to a power amp will do the job. I still won’t rule out something like a NAD M10 v2 until I explore the separates(Streamer/DAC/Power amp option). I guess I’m really looking for input from Club Polk folks if they have a system with similar requirements.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Are you going to add a separate preamp or use a streamer as preamp if you go the separates route?

• bem
    Options
    Excellent questions. I’m thinking that I might investigate a streamer/DAC/preamp and a power amp. I’m not sold yet on all in one units that have a streamer/DAC/amp. Although, I may still end up with one if the cost of separates gets too high. If I go the separates route I’ll probably be looking at pre owned units.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,320
    Options
    If you go m10 make sure to get the V2 version
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • bem
    Options
    Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind on the NAD M10. I also plan to check out some NAIM all in ones. They seem a bit pricier.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind on the NAD M10. I also plan to check out some NAIM all in ones. They seem a bit pricier.

If measurements matter to you, I would steer clear of the Naim Uniti Atom. Overpriced for what you get, imo.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/naim-uniti-atom-review-streamer-amp.35213/

• bem
    Options
    Thanks for the link. It does seem like a lot of money for what you get. It’s interesting that bench specs are disappointing yet there seem to be some very positive reviews on You Tube.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,204
    Options
    I’ve got a NAD M10 V2 downstairs in the living room and love it. It’s easy to use and sounds great. Really can’t go wrong
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • bem
    Options
    Glad to hear that you like the M10 V2. It’s at the top of my list right now. I’m having a hard time justifying the cost of some of the other “all in one” units. The M10 V2 might be answer. Are you happy with the class D amp that is in the M10.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Yes absolutely. It’s driving some power hungry DIY bookies right now and does a great job with them. It’s no high current powerhouse but it’s amazingly good for the form factor.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • bem
    Options
    That’s good to hear. Just curious, do you use the room correction software (Dirac Live)? If you do, what do you think of it?
  • stangman67
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I haven’t used Dirac yet although I suppose I should mess with it. In general Dirac is well respected so I’d imagine it would do wonders on low frequency response, which is really what these auto eq settings shine at. If I was to integrate subs, I would certainly run Dirac but TBH I am very happy with how it sounds without running any correction. This is not my main rig so I don’t do much critical listening, just enjoy rocking tunes while I am hanging out

662o5emfjfqc.jpeg

• bem
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your input. Also, nice setup in your cave. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you have going on with your book shelf speakers?
  • stangman67
    Options
    If you are asking what they are, they are a DIY kit build. They are a Jeff Bagby/Javad Shadzi design called the Helios CM. All SB acoustic drivers, soft dome tweeter,8” woofer and 10” passive. I have a couple threads on the build on here.

• bem
    Options
    Just read your April 2022 thread on your DIY build project. I don’t know how I missed it. What an amazing project! It must have been so satisfying to complete it. The finished product looks incredible.