Should I trade SDA1c for RTA15TL?

Options
124»

Comments

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    You can have higher voltage rails like some carver amps have and have lower current. High voltage transmission power lines are high voltage and low current also.

Mmmmmm.... yes but, Many transmission lines are built for a continuous 4k amp load.
    Just imagine the level of power/fault current available with lines carrying 500-1,000 amps @ voltages starting @ 138Kv and up.
    Have lifted a hand mack with 800+ amps @ 23Kv by hand, was exciting in a very bad way 😳. Nobody hurt thank god.
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Check that the spider hasn't separated from the cone.

It hasn't. I pulled both drivers out and the other one didn't seem like the negative wire was very secure. Maybe it lost connection? That side wired in parallel would still give juice to the speaker that has good connection... would that cause it to overwork?
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,057
    Options
    To answer the OP question, I have had both SDA 1Cs fully moded and the 15TLs. IMO you made the right choice not to trade. You wont have any idea what the 1Cs are capable of until they are fully modded with a good amp driving them. It might just up-end your entire end game plan.🙂

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • chrispyfur
    Options
    @dpowell thanks, now that I've figured out a couple of issues I've had with these I'm glad I decided against it. Obviously a lot of work left to do but they're already quite a bit better.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,625
    Options
    There’s just no love for the 15TL. 🥲

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • chrispyfur
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    There’s just no love for the 15TL. 🥲

Sure seems that way... boy, I'd feel kinda foolish if I owned a pair after reading all these comments! ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    Options
    They are a decent speaker, but you have to place them well out from the wall and put tall spikes on them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,625
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but curious what you would recommend, @F1nut. I had been looking at IsoAcoustics Gaias, recently.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • chrispyfur
    Options
    I'll be looking for spikes for my 1c's as well, unless I decide to just turn a couple myself
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited July 2023
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Not to hijack this thread, but curious what you would recommend, @F1nut. I had been looking at IsoAcoustics Gaias, recently.

I checked those out at a show. Seems to me having speakers on what are basically rubber springs is the exact opposite of what one wants.

As for spikes, pick your poison B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chrispyfur
    edited August 2023
    Options
    9yx12bsiumni.jpg
    216vorzmkopy.jpg

Not sure if this forum has a preference between digging up and updating my old post, or just starting a new one.

(You'd probably all prefer if I actually dug up the right one...)

That out of the way... let's see what all the hype is about!