Monitor 4's with peerless?

Options
Looking to pick up a pair of Monitor 4's from over 2 hours away, but the lady who's selling them didn't get me a picture without the grills off, just pics of the fronts with grills one and one back pic of one speaker with the label. Serial number: "Monitor Series 4 9228". So, series I. With the low serial number, would that likely have the peerless tweeters, or not any indication?

Complication: not her house, not her speakers, she only went inside today to take pics that I requested (but not the one I really asked for), and the trip would be 2 hours away. :/

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    I just looked at my Polk Monitor 4's with Peerless tweeters.

On the rear side of each speaker there is a recessed cup, within the cup near it's bottom there are red and black screw-on binding posts that also accept banana plugs through a hole in their center. Above those connectors (still within the recess) mine have a white rectangular stick-on label that just says "4 10644" on one and "4 10645" on the other. The last five digits are serial numbers. Just above both labels is a fuse holder with a fuse for the tweeter.

Mine do NOT say "Monitor Series" before the 4 on the rear label as you state the ones you're considering do.

On mine, on the very lower right corner on the front side of the speaker, on the wood itself, below not on the speaker grill fabric is a badge that says "Polk Audio". I do believe some 4's w/Peerless could have had that badge on the grill fabric, but I've never seen one placed there.

The Peerless ones sound nice. Better than the 4's without them IMO. If the ones your looking at are not
    Peerless, do not overpay for them as the non-Peerless 4's are pretty common.

Hope this helps you.

• shnaggletooth2
    Options
    Ok, I finally got a pic with the grills removed: not the peerless, but the later tweeters. So, the hunt goes on...
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited June 2023
    Options
    a7fxmtu59hbm.png
    Peerless 4's, not mine.

Keep looking, they'll show up.

If I were you, I'd look for 5's if you want the original monitor series, and if space is a concern, they had Peerless too. Sound much better.

The ideal original Polk monitor is the 7. Better yet!
  • Livinloud
    Livinloud Posts: 43
    Options
    I agree that the 5’s sound a lot better. Here is a pic for size comparison.
    8lhmgscjzcow.jpeg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    They R nice. :)
    (Monitor 4 with the Peerless silk domes, that is)
  • Livinloud
    Options
    I setup the 4’s in my office today with a small sub crossed over at 60hz and it was real nice. Even with the sub off they were great.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    4's I veneered and rebuilt the crossovers several years ago.
  • Livinloud
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    4's I veneered and rebuilt the crossovers several years ago.

Stink! I was planning on leaving mine alone and now you got me thinking about fixin them up too. I have found that I really enjoy restoring this stuff. Old tools, old integrated amps, and old speakers are a growing weakness.

Those 4’s look great!